“Great Location, terrible villas”

Suriwathi Beach Hotel
Ranked #67 of 87 Hotels in Legian
Nowra, Australia
“Great Location, terrible villas”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I was recommended this place and we booked 9 nights here but only stayed 1. We booked the 2 villas and it was raining so the roof leaked, water everywhere inside villa, linen dirty yellow coloured and the towels terrible. The rooms had a smell to them, the fridge had mildew all around it & the wardrobes had mildew inside them. I was told the resort was simple but clean. It was simple but dirty. For what you pay there is better elsewhere. We had a man come in and install a dvd player which he was electrocuted doing so. Not happy wouldn't go back.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Leonie079

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Indonesian first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Hi we were over for 3 weeks and as usual Suriwathi is like a home away from home. The staff are exceptional can't name anyone as they would all need a mention from reception ,housekeeping, restaurant and even the Bonito Spa they are always ready to serve with a smile and help you. We like to stay in the old part but the new rooms and pool look great. As usual met new friends and caught up with old regulars. If you are looking for a hotel with the true Balinese feeling and warmth that is close to everything but feels away from the hustle and bustle Suriwathi is for you. Also while there go to Legends Restaurant or try their new restaurant Roo Bar on Legian Rd they wont disappoint. Lastly thanks for the Tattoo from Legends Tattoo luv it. We will be back as wouldn't stay anywhere else. Thanks again Suriwathi family and staff you delevired again..

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jackie2508
Melbourne
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,375 helpful votes
Reviewed November 2, 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights and found it a very basic and simple place to be. We were able to negotiate two adjoining rooms for 180000 RPH but it was off season.
The rooms are simple, beds big, clean and lots of space. We had an extra mattress put in the room because there were 5 of us. Showers simple but if you are looking for a nice vanity basin and fancy tiling, don't come here.
I'll keep saying its basic and simple because it is. I've stayed at many, many places in Bali and you often get what you pay for. In high season you pay alot more for this place because of it's central location.
The pool is good, kids loved it.
Breakfast was basic - everyday. Not much changes so after morning number 5 we were over the same food. Staff in the kitchen were apathetic.
Staff at the front desk were lovely though and always helpful.
Being in Garlic Lane, we were able to go to many local attracts and got to know many of the locals. The nearby Kwikimarts were great to grab a snack for kids rather than eating in the Beach Hotel.
We did have an upstairs room two weeks prior and found it very dingy and old. WOuldn't recommend them. A big storm came through and the rain came under the door and saturated the extra mattress. Shower area was 1 star.
I'd go back if on a budget but also would look around and see what's on offer.

Room Tip: Check out all rooms on offer, don't take what they necessarily show you. Rooms downstairs tended...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank UrbanDrifter
England
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I was recommended this place, and since it was for only one night, and I had a large suitcase I didn't want to waste time looking elsewhere.
I was given a small discount as the standard rooms were not available, so I had to have a Superior room, which was 400,000 rph.
On closer inspection I noticed that the bedding was old and stained., The bathroom looked like it needed a very good scrub, and the fitting and fixtures were tired and worn. The back of the bathroom door was stained with water marks, and broken around the edges. There was nowhere to put things in the bathroom, just a hook for your towel and since there is no shower curtain everything gets wet. The mini bar had only 3 items from the list, which I immediately told the staff of, so as not to be charged. I also returned my towels as they were stained and was given equally stained ones. There was an awful smell in the garden outside my room, and I enquired twice as to what it was, but was ignored.
The breakfast was good, although I saw some guests ordering from a menu I wasn't shown - so I had the basic buffet on display. Staff were friendly, and I enjoyed my welcome drink and appreciated having my bags carried to my room.

Room Tip: My room was 14, on the ground floor near reception which meant I could access WIFI in my room - othe...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Palmerston, Northern Territory, Australia
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I have stayed at the Suriwathi quite few times over the many years I have been traveling to Bali. In the past I have been quite comfortable staying here; the staff have always been friendly and very helpful as they were this last trip. The rooms in the old building at the back of the complex where I have stayed in the past even though were old and a little run down, were big, spacious and reasonably clean. But unfortunately this time the 3 rooms that we were given were absolutely disgusting. The door handle fell off the front door of the first room we entered so our first timer to Bali instantly felt this is not a safe and secure place to stay. The rooms were very small, dark, and filthy, and reeked of a dirty drain. The sheets, bed spreads and towels were so old, badly stained and full of holes and they simply needed to be thrown away. We were horrified at the thought of sleeping in these appalling rooms. I went back to reception and very politely told a lovely staff member about our concerns and I asked if he could come and take a look at the rooms so I could show him the problems. The staff member replied that there was no need for him to come and look as he understood our concerns and he would be happy to upgrade us to better rooms. (This made me think that they knew very well the condition of these disgusting rooms. We were very happy to be moved to the better rooms, but once we were settled we could see that these rooms even though were newer, brighter and very comfortable, they were incredibly dirty, the bath/showers and toilets had not been cleaned for I don’t know how long and were very grimy and there was half used bars of soap laying in the bottom of the bath along with past guests pubic hair. There was no toilet paper in 2 of the rooms and no towels in 1. The mini bar had not been replenished in one of the rooms and we were charged for everything that should have been in the mini bar when we checked out, I did not relies that there was nothing in that mini bar in that room until after I had checked out and was chatting with our group who said that they didn’t realize there was a mini bar at all, because there was nothing in their fridge. Anyway as I mentioned the staff were lovely helpful and friendly, but unfortunately that will not be enough to make me want to stay at the Suriwathi again.

Room Tip: If you must stay please ask for a new room. New rooms were nice (but filthy) The older rooms we were...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Gabrielle W

Travelers are raving about these Legian hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Just returned again, staying at Suriwathi, I've lost count of how many times we have stayed here. The location is great. Staff super friendly. They do need to purchase a few more pool lounges, not enough. The breakfast is basic but good. It's like returning home. I highly recommend this hotel for location, price and friendlyness.

Room Tip: Rooms in the court yard are very spacious (superior) some have adjoining doors. The new rooms are g...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank jacrolkrisnic
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Suri is older type accommodation that is gradually being renovated.
The rooms at rear of property have newer facilities & better rooms with heavier curtains & mattress / pillows that are comfy. Appeared to be quieter down the back of complex for those who enjoy their sleep uninterrupted.
Staff were always friendly & helpful...breakfast was so so !!!
All in all, for $50 a night what more could you expect.
Location was great ... 5 mins from Legian Beach.
Plenty of restaurants, bars & shopping along Garlic Lane.

Room Tip: Don't stay in rooms near front of property .... very old ... need reno's !!! Best option is...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank kathybeee
Also consider these accommodations in or near Legian
Vilarisi Hotel
Casa Padma Hotel & Suites
Serela Legian Hotel
Serela Legian Hotel
#52 of 87 in Legian

Been to Suriwathi Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!