“Very disapointed”

Ranked #66 of 86 Hotels in Legian
Palmerston, Northern Territory, Australia
“Very disapointed”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I have stayed at the Suriwathi quite few times over the many years I have been traveling to Bali. In the past I have been quite comfortable staying here; the staff have always been friendly and very helpful as they were this last trip. The rooms in the old building at the back of the complex where I have stayed in the past even though were old and a little run down, were big, spacious and reasonably clean. But unfortunately this time the 3 rooms that we were given were absolutely disgusting. The door handle fell off the front door of the first room we entered so our first timer to Bali instantly felt this is not a safe and secure place to stay. The rooms were very small, dark, and filthy, and reeked of a dirty drain. The sheets, bed spreads and towels were so old, badly stained and full of holes and they simply needed to be thrown away. We were horrified at the thought of sleeping in these appalling rooms. I went back to reception and very politely told a lovely staff member about our concerns and I asked if he could come and take a look at the rooms so I could show him the problems. The staff member replied that there was no need for him to come and look as he understood our concerns and he would be happy to upgrade us to better rooms. (This made me think that they knew very well the condition of these disgusting rooms. We were very happy to be moved to the better rooms, but once we were settled we could see that these rooms even though were newer, brighter and very comfortable, they were incredibly dirty, the bath/showers and toilets had not been cleaned for I don’t know how long and were very grimy and there was half used bars of soap laying in the bottom of the bath along with past guests pubic hair. There was no toilet paper in 2 of the rooms and no towels in 1. The mini bar had not been replenished in one of the rooms and we were charged for everything that should have been in the mini bar when we checked out, I did not relies that there was nothing in that mini bar in that room until after I had checked out and was chatting with our group who said that they didn’t realize there was a mini bar at all, because there was nothing in their fridge. Anyway as I mentioned the staff were lovely helpful and friendly, but unfortunately that will not be enough to make me want to stay at the Suriwathi again.

Room Tip: If you must stay please ask for a new room. New rooms were nice (but filthy) The older rooms we were...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Gabrielle W

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Indonesian first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Just returned again, staying at Suriwathi, I've lost count of how many times we have stayed here. The location is great. Staff super friendly. They do need to purchase a few more pool lounges, not enough. The breakfast is basic but good. It's like returning home. I highly recommend this hotel for location, price and friendlyness.

Room Tip: Rooms in the court yard are very spacious (superior) some have adjoining doors. The new rooms are g...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank jacrolkrisnic
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Suri is older type accommodation that is gradually being renovated.
The rooms at rear of property have newer facilities & better rooms with heavier curtains & mattress / pillows that are comfy. Appeared to be quieter down the back of complex for those who enjoy their sleep uninterrupted.
Staff were always friendly & helpful...breakfast was so so !!!
All in all, for $50 a night what more could you expect.
Location was great ... 5 mins from Legian Beach.
Plenty of restaurants, bars & shopping along Garlic Lane.

Room Tip: Don't stay in rooms near front of property .... very old ... need reno's !!! Best option is...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank kathybeee
Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Stayed here for a month, mid August to mid September. Had a superior room, upstairs at the back of the property. Good big room with a comfy bed (on the harder side, which I preferred), air con worked well, TV and mini-bar fridge. I removed the drinks and filled it with my own, which was no problem. Shower over the bath, but no shower curtain so the bathroom floor could get a bit wet, but no big deal. Table and two chairs outside the room and the walkway to the other rooms was shared along the balconies.

There was a bit of sound travel up to the room from those partying and splashing in the pool till all hours at different points. Also noise from barking dogs in the alley behind the hotel - sometimes for hours on end. Over all though, it was ok. I'm a bit of a light sleeper so it did keep me awake some nights. Nothing a nanna nap didn't fix though :)

Breakfast is very average and I chose to eat elsewhere most of the time.

Lovely grounds and two good pools. WiFi available at the reception area but could be a bit hit and miss if it worked. I used data on a Bali sim so it didn't worry me, but others who were relying on it got a bit frustrated. Also, there are no phones in the rooms, which can make it hard if you need reception - like the first night I arrived and the power went out in our whole block.

Great location for me. A short walk to the beach if you want it, shops and restaurants basically on the door step.

Give the spa a miss though. It's very ordinary and there are others that are much better close by - try Pips in Melasti St, right opposite the end of Jl Sahadewa. They'll even give you a loyalty card. :)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank tracos
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Lovely grounds. Nice welcome drink on arrival and friendly staff. RIGHT in the middle of Legiqn but strangely quiet and peaceful.
Two pools, but sometimes I felt a bit 'watched'. Not too sure how but there were a lot of staff around often. This was only in the back pool though. The front pool isn't as nice or as quiet but still good and the bar is close!
It felt safe but we still locked our bags and room whenever we went out. We did leave a few things on the balcony and everything was as it was left when we got up/got back.
They have a massage place right on the driveway but I think others are better- but this is still good if you just want to vege out.
The price is good! But the rooms a tired. Although they were creating new apartments at the back when we were there.
Lovely gardens!
We would return :)

Room Tip: Get a back one
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Theunkovichs
Port Macquarie, Australia
Reviewed June 7, 2013

This is the second time we've been to Suriwathi, this time we stayed in one of their two villas which both share a pool. The villa is stunning, air-conditioned, equipped with a small kitchenette and two rooms with their own ensuites. For $150 a night for four people, Suriwathi again met all of our expectations.

The breakfast has changed from last year - you now need a ticket from the front desk which you give to the girls in the dining area which allows you access to their continental buffet breakfast which is made up of toast with condiments, fresh fruit and some Indonesian meal (usually mei goreng) you can also have orange juice and tea or coffee. The food at Suriwathi is just as good as last year, it still amazes me that for the price of the food, you do not have to sacrifice the quality or quantity.

We also stayed in the superior rooms at Suriwathi, these rooms where surprisingly spacious - containing a small fridge, tv, shower/bath and a big bed - cant complain for $50 a night!

The hotel grounds are, as always, neat and tidy! The staff are hilarious and love to hear your stories and Share theirs. Thankyou once again Suriwathi for an amazing stay - see you next year!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank AbbyLeeAide
Lancelin, Australia
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Room (35) quite large with twin single beds has small fridge & air conditioner & lounge chair. Beds firm but comfortable. Sheets & towels clean. Soap provided now. Large bottled water in fridge cost 10000rp, about 7500rp at minimarts/7elevens. TV has 15 channels of Indo shows only, no other language channels. Pool clean & nice, only 5 lounge chairs but 2 gazebo thingys also. Breakfast you need to get a voucher from reception, is basic self serve with toast, jam/honey, fruit, an Indo hot meal like rice/chicken, orange juice & tea/coffee. You can buy extras, a banana pancake cost 10000rp. Staff nice & friendly, grounds/gardens clean & well maintained. Great location just off Jalan Sahadewa (Galic lane). Close to restaurants/bars but also quiet.

Room Tip: Room 35 had twin beds, but ok for me
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Legian
Vilarisi Hotel
Casa Padma Hotel & Suites
Balisani Padma
Balisani Padma
#80 of 86 in Legian

Been to Suriwathi Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!