“Excellent value!”
Review of Puri Raja

Puri Raja
Ranked #30 of 87 Hotels in Legian
Reviewed May 31, 2008

Comparing this hotel with the rest around the Kuta and Legian area this place gives the most bang for the buck. The breakfast could be better but the view from the resturant makes up for it in a heart beat. When I return to Bali I will defintely stay here again. Its ok for kids, the kiddy pool is a little deep and there was only one kid channel on the T.V. but the kids didnt mind at all. It was quiet and acomidating to all our needs as a family. Cant wait to go back.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank MHutapea

Reviewed May 24, 2008

We have just returned to the Puri Raja for the first time in about 10 years and were very impressed with the recent renovations. The rooms are simply furnished, but very comfortable and kept spotlessly clean. They have tea/coffee facilities and a good range of TV channels. The bathrooms have brand new toilets and taps and great hot showers with lots of water pressure, and plenty of space for things on the vanity. Balconies and terraces look out on to the lovely gardens, and there are 2 pools.

Most of the rooms are superior, but there are 4 larger deluxe rooms near the pool, suitable for families.

Breakfast was included in our rate, and was served at the table rather than buffet-style, but was fresh and tasty (vegemite on every table). Guests could eat inside, or out in the courtyard, overlooking Legian Beach. We had dinner there one night and it was also good and very inexpensive - about AUD13 for a chicken lemongrass, snapper meuniere plus 2 drinks.

Guests were mainly Australian, so people tended to mix and mingle around the pool with the swim-up bar.

This is my favourite area to stay and the beautiful 4 star Niksoma is nextdoor, but Puri Raja is about half the nightly rate, so great value for money, and the staff are lovely.

I could not fault the hotel and would return happily.

There are some great restaurants along the beach: Sand has fantastic pizzas and Italian food in a beautiful setting, Blue Ocean has been there since 1969, Lanai is good, and you can also eat in the beachfront restaurant at the Niksoma. Out the back in Rum Jungle Rd, the Flying Piano serves good food, accompanied by 3 musicians who move around the tables playing requests, and we are always given free welcome drinks and goodbye drinks - they are Arak Attacks, but very nice ones.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Aus2Argie
Reviewed May 18, 2008

We ended up at the Puri Raja after a fairly hectic (but superb) journey across Java, so were looking to kick back for a few days.

This hotel footed the bill perfectly. The rooms were very pleasant, the breakfast restaurant fronts onto the beach, and the pools (particularly the more functional pool towards the centre of the hotel) were superb.

Getting around to Kuta, Legian and Seminyak was simple, and getting away from the south to explore the island was pretty straight forward with plenty of tour agencies and car/bike rentals on the door step.

If you're looking for somewhere to relax in Bali I'd recommend here.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with friends
3  Thank boytaylor
Reviewed May 14, 2008

I don't think we actually have any real complaints about this hotel. Yes the breakfast thing is a little different - its not a buffet like the others - but you get to choose from the menu up to a certain value, so my favourite combo was to get a mixed omlette with a banana pancake (different plate) and a lemon juice.

We found the hotel clean. The pools nice, but kind of small, but then again its not a big hotel complex. The location is fantastic. Staff great. Don't have to walk up to a 3rd floor as its only double story buildings, and also this made it quite quiet - but there is no lift at all so anyone with disabilty would have a problem being upstairs, and also our room had a shower/bath set up so that can be awkward for some as well. The gardens are really nice and simple layout - don't get too lost.

I do recommend this hotel. I will be on my shortlist when I return.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank balimarch08
Reviewed March 25, 2008

Clean, friendly, quiet & happy. The main pool was never over crowded therefore you could always get a lounge bed & if you wanted total peace you could go the other pool (kids never at this pool).
Every night my son would swim two laps of the pool, usually about 10-11pm when we got back.
There are safes in all the rooms.
The food was OK, but I like eating at as many places as I can find
At one end of the hotel is the beach were the main pool & restaurant is & the other end is a road with shops. I think it is the best of both worlds.
It only has ground floor & 1st floor. The ground floor is much better with kids.
A few people we met had stayed there before & it was our 2nd time. I would stay there again.
Kerri
PS. I didn't get lost in the grounds as there is only one path. Straight

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
5  Thank scarikerri
Reviewed March 1, 2008

I have travelled to Bali many times since 1980 & stayed at both budget & five star accomodation, I would have to say that the Puri Raja Hotel in Legian is probably one of the best value for money hotels in Bali. We travelled there in September 2007 for my 50th birthday & were very impressed by the service, the quality of the rooms & the location is sensational, far enough away from the hustle & bustle of Kuta but walking distance to everything. We were duly impressed with the breakfast which were able to choose whatever we wanted on the menu. The pools smaller one located at the front of the hotel with swim up bar & larger lap pool at the back were spotless and well maintained everyday. the staff were courteous & friendly, I stayed at the Padma the year before which is
only a stroll down the road but 3 times the price and found the service there not as good and the patrons unfriendly. The tourists staying tat the Puri Raja were friendly and we often sat around in the afternoons by the pool chatting. I have booked to go back in September this year 2008 with my daughter and am looking forward to returning its only the second time I have stayed in the same place twice...... I have emailed the hotel directly and requested a room and they sent me an email straight back. Very Impressed!!!! I love it & would recommend it to any of my friends and I have already!!!!! Hammo26

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
9  Thank Hammo26
Reviewed February 21, 2008

Ive stayed in many hotels in Bali & I booked as a result of trip advisor feedback but I found it with faults. The toilets & drainage stank probably due to the wet weather but they couldnt move us until 1 day before we were due to leave. The breakfast was totally untantillising. We ended up going next door to the Melasti & paying for there buffet or eating elsewhere. The only swimup bar always had loads of pumped up 90's techno blasting near the massage hut. Also, there were huge stairs to get in and huge stairs to get out. They charged twice the 'charge up bill' and we had to locate all our hand written receipts upon checkout. It was just extremely dissapointing. The good points - it was quiet (away from the pool, restaurant & massage hut) and the manicure/pedicure & massage's were very cheap.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple