“Great location”

Ranked #69 of 84 Hotels in Legian
London
“Great location”
Reviewed October 22, 2007

I stayed here for a week earlier this month. I was due to arrive right at the end of Ramadan, which is a public holiday on Bali.What I later found was that many people from neighbouring Java come to Bali by ferry for the holiday, so many of the hotels were fully booked.
I managed to get one of the last rooms available at the Melasti, having already tried 3 other hotels. As a result the room was very basic, dark, and looked over the main hotel bar, so you could hear at night the bar's evening entertainer. He was terrible but I grew to like him (as I felt sorry for him).
That said, I thought the hotel was great. To me, a hotel is all about location, location, location. The Melasti is right in the middle of Kuta/Legian/Seminyak beach. A hundred or so yards to the left (towards Kuta) the beach was packed. The same if you turned to the right (towards Seminyak). Yet the bit of beach outside the Melasti (also outside the Padma and Mandira hotels) was usually almost empty. Great! This bit of beach also seemed to be the cleanest part (I walked up and down the beach lots of times). The beach at north Seminyak was full of litter and had black/grey sand, so I would'nt advise staying there.
The breakfasts at Melasti are great, and taken right in front of the beach. The hotel has three pools. I usually had no problems getting a recliner.
Right outside the hotel is a mini market (great for buying your Bintang), a dry cleaners (very cheap) and an internet cafe (dont use the hotel's internet services- very expensive).
Some very good and inexpensive restaurants close by too (will put the details on my Bali review shortly).
A walk into Kuta takes about 20 minutes (you can walk to it along the beach). Do not stay in Kuta itself unless you want to party constantly. Legian is far enough away to enjoy some tranquility whilst being close enough to go to Kuta for shopping.
Melasti rooms have a fridge and a TV with about 8 english channels (including Star Sports). You can get a safety deposit box at reception free of charge. The water is hot too.
Overall this hotel was great value for money- £24 per night for the room when I stayed. Its location is perfect too.
Tip, try to get one of the deluxe rooms if you want more than jst a basic room.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Basic room
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
10 Thank LondonH

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed September 9, 2007

We have just returned from Bali and stayed at Melasti Beach Resort it is our first stay at Melasti, we usually stay in Kuta but have stayed at another hotel in legian about five years ago. I really enjoyed our stay the staff and service could not be faulted.

We originally had one of the new superior rooms around the new pool but as we are night owls we found the screaming kids a bit much in the mornings so we just approached the staff and they immediately got us another room in a quiet area.

The food at the hotel was fine and the breakfast was huge.

We would have no hesitation in recommending this resort to anyone.

We will be returning next year.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
10 Thank sujak90
Avoca Beach
Reviewed September 6, 2007

My family and I stayed at the Melasti in Legian for two weeks in August. We found the resort fantastic value for money. We stayed in a suite room which was very spacious. The rooms were decorated in typical Bali style which added to the appeal. If you want it to look like a hotel in Australia, why travel?

The rooms were very clean and all the staff were friendly and very helpful. We didn't encounter a problem with any of them. I really like the grounds of the resort and the location of the restuarant overlooking the beach.

We have read many reports of the breakfast being below average,but my family found it more than adequate. Maybe we're just easily pleased. I don't know what a lot of people expect from breakfast but I found the convenience of eating there watching the surf just fine.

We do agree that the restuarant food at night is average but we didn't think there was anything wrong with a burger and chips by the pool for lunch.

We can recommend Tommy's cafe which is only opened for breakfast and lunch. Great salad rolls, salads and the best iced coffees and milos.

There are so many great restuarants to eat at. We found ourselves heading out of the resort at the beach end and turning right towards a few great restuarants. Our favourites were definitely Seaside and Zanzibar. Another great restuarant is the Indo National and we can also recommend the Flying Piano.

Be warned though if you are first time visitors and you decide to go to the Volcano on a day trip. If you do a tour they take you to a restuarant overlooking the Volcano. My husband and son contracted food poisoning there and my son ended up in hospital. Since this happened we have learned of a few other people getting sick from there. It definitely changed our holiday but not our view on Bali.

We will definitely go back and I would stay at the Melasti again. Did I mention how great the spa was?

To all those people considering a holiday in Bali, I would definitely recommend the Melasti for value for money, good location and very family friendly and they don't make a bad cocktail at the pool bar either. Cheers!!

• Liked — clean, quiet and spacious
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
10 Thank ludAvocaBeach
PerthPerth
Reviewed August 31, 2007

My husband and I stayed here for 8 nights end of June. We paid $940 each to stay in the superior room, flying from Perth, incl breakfast,
but no airport transfers. It is very good value for money, bearing in
mind I would be rating it more off a high 2 star low 3 star.

The superior room in very spacious with a very big bed. The decor is a little tired with things like water stains on the walls. It is clean though. Our room was in the older building of the resort and from the outside it is obvious it is the older building.

The pool (main one with the bar) is a good size and clean but once again it is a standard resort so don't expect manicured landscaping and waterfalls.

Food is not very good though. If I stayed again I would opt to take out the breakfast option. If you love a good hot buffet breakfast you will be disappointed. We missed breakfast quite a few mornings seen as it just wasn't worth getting out of bed for. Room service food wasn't that great either.

Service was very good. As normal you get one or two who are there just to have a job but you can't go wrong with Balinese people, they are very warm and friendly.

Location is brilliant! If you walk out of the resort (beach side) and turn right, there are the most beautiful restaurants on the beach
road. Zanzibar and Blue Ocean were my favourites. We spent a lot of time on this part of the beach, both day and night.

There is lots of room in this resort for children. Many of the people
we spoke to were repeat visitors as they said it was good value for money (nearly all the repeat visitors were staying in the suite rooms which are excellent). I completely agree with that statement. Yes it is good value for money but just make sure you are expecting a 2/3 star resort.

I recommend the spa at the Melasti also. Brilliant for what you pay. I wish I had gone there on the first day rather than the last day!

I also highly highly recommend Koris restaurant. We had one of the hut tables. Band that played were brilliant and the frozen margueritas were excellent. Also Uns restaurant is worth a visit.

Enjoy your holidays.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Food
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank PerthPerth
Geelong, Australia
Reviewed August 14, 2007

The Melasti was Ok for the price. The rooms were average but we didn't spend a whole lot of time in the rooms. The toilet handle broke a couple of times and it was fixed straight away. Big rooms, Air Con worked fine. Bathrooms could do with upgrade but were clean. Pools were great, Staff were really friendly. Got harrassed a bit at breakfast by staff to see their shows etc for that night. After two weeks of it, it got a bit annoying. We got a bit sick of the breakfast after a while and went to the Bali Niksoma a couple of times. More expensive but beautiful. Great location. We had a ball for our first trip to Bali. Will definitely be going back to Bali. Overall, Average resort for a good price. Would stay there again.

• Liked — pools
  • Disliked — bathroom could do with an upgrade
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
4 Thank keysy001
Perth, WA
Reviewed July 30, 2007

Juy 07 - Just returned from 4th stay at Melasti and could not fault it. Yeh OK the breakfast is not the best but everything else is great. This is the 3rd stay in Family suite (huge) with 2 teenagers and have stayed in Superior interconnecting rooms (over pool) with 5 girlfriends and could not fault them either. Rooms are large, clean and well serviced. All the staff are most helpful and pleasant and the location is perfect; close to everything but without the hassle. Have recommended to many and have never had a bad word said about it. Like many hotels, it is good to dine elsewhere, as much for the variety as anything and it is perfectly located for many inexpensive excellent restaurants. We'll be back next year....fingers crossed

• Liked — size and cleanliness
  • Disliked — restaurant
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank peedee42
Perth
Reviewed July 13, 2007

Been to Bali 8 times and stayed at different places - the Melasti Beach Resort rates! Great pools with swim up bars, good staff, go the superior room which is really spacious. Food is average but head elsewhere. Just out of Kuta, but close enough for mid-sized walk along beach or down Legian Street or a short taxi ride in. Good mix of age ranges but not a party hotel but caters for all. Pool side massage available and right on the beach. Great alternative to staying in Kuta.

• Liked — spacious room
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Dana76
Also consider these accommodations in or near Legian
Puri Raja
#29 of 251 in Kuta
Seaside Suites Bali
Seaside Suites Bali
#1 of 84 in Legian

Been to Melasti Legian Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!