“A villa worth staying.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 34 Hotels in Kerobokan
Singapore, Singapore
“A villa worth staying.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012

My boyfriend and I were quite apprehensive about the hotel as there were not a lot of reviews about it on TripAdvisor. And the reviews on the cold private pool made me kinda regret spending that extra money for requesting for a room with one.

The hotel provides shuttle services to and fro the airport. We read that it was meant to be free but during the trip to the airport for our return flight, the driver told us that we had to pay him. We said that we already did at the hotel and he didn't ask for more. Wondered if he was really telling the truth...

The check in and check out were done swiftly which was excellent. Since the villa was built around more or less an open concept with an outdoor bathroom, it meant that there were constantly many mosquitoes. Furthermore, the hotel is just opposite a seemingly stagnant rice field, maybe that's where the mosquitoes came from. However, the hotel was helped solve that problem daily by spraying insecticide daily. Smoking repellents were also placed near the pool to help get rid of the mosquitoes. The problem was that there were sometimes dead mosquitoes floating in the bathtub. On the first day, when we just entered our room, we were greeted with an insecticide smoking just along the corridor which was very noisy and smelly as well.

The room was always cleaned properly and bottles of water added everyday for us. There was also a huge fridge and a microwave for guests' use.The TV provides a myriad of international channels. There was just so much to watch, it provided good entertainment for us at night. The air con is perfect for such hot weather as well. The bed was fluffly and just right for sleeping. I have been to hotels where the pillows were too hard or too low, or the beds would give you a shoulder ache in the morning. But the beds in the villa was really comfortable and allowed me to have a good night's sleep.

The private pool was too, too, too cold. Just as what almost all the other reviews have mentioned. My boyfriend and I used it not more than 3 times throughout our stay. It wasn't because we really enjoyed it but just that it felt like a waste of money if we didn't utilize it enough. Cattleya should install heaters in the pool. There is no need to turn the heater on the whole day or put the switch for the heater in the villa where guests would turn it on the entire day. Having the reception or some hotel staff controlling the heater, turning it on for just a few minutes at intervals each day would be fine. There won't be too much of a waste of electricity too.

The breakfast was not good. I ordered the local breakfast most of the time and I would prefer if the Nasi Goreng and Bee Hoon Goreng were spicy, as what the locals would have. My boyfriend had the western set throughout the holiday and the portion was too little for him. The bacon was just too little. Other than that the rest was fine. Maybe add in some hashbrown??? Haha.

Location wise is pretty bad. Many taxi drivers around the area don't even know where the hotel is and the hotel is not very obvious from the main road. There is a need to drive down a bumpy unlit road to get to the hotel. My boyfriend and I tried walking back to the hotel from potato head and we were almost attacked by stray dogs. We couldn't see the dogs, only hear its barkings getting closer and then we only saw it when it came pretty close. Luckily the driver from the villa nearby offered to help us and send us back in the car for free. Really much thanks to the driver from Villa Lumbog or something like that. You saved our lives!

Before we checked in I had to make a deposit of 500,000 rupiah but upon checking out I did not receive it back. Instead, I was told to wait for 2 weeks to get my money back. I have never experienced such a thing before so I am pretty worried if I would get my money back. Shall wait and see.

Overall, I had a good stay at the Cattlaya Suite Condotel. I would come back to stay here again if the hotel manages to sort out the few kinks that they have.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank mengcheng
CattleyaSuiteBali, E Commerce Manager at Marbella Pool Suite, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, your input will make us grow better and satisfy the guests expectation. Hope to see you soon; the legendary sunset is always here.

E Commerce Manager | ecommerce@marbellaseminyak.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Indonesian first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

My sister and I booked a 4 Days 3 Nights 1 Bedroom Pool Villa at Cattleya via a Groupon deal which we thought were quite a good deal. Like one of the previous reviewers, we were also a little concerned about what to expect from Cattleya since there was no previous reviews available. We decided to go ahead with our gut instincts and were pleasantly surprised with risk we took.

Our package included airport transfers, welcome drink, afternoon tea and a late check-out at 3 pm. Aryana, who picked me up from the airport was very friendly and informative. The journey from the airport which usually takes around 30 minutes took almost 2 hours unfortunately due to it being a Friday and many airlines landing within the same hour.

Within 5 mins of arriving at the reception, I was led off to Villa No. 106 where my sister was waiting as she had checked in earlier. Our villa was spacious, considering that it is about 103 sqm. I love the layout of the villa. However, I agreed with the rest of the reviewers that the indoor pool was too cold! I only swam 3 times in the pool during the duration of my stay and that was because I was brave enough to try the cold water. Cattleya needs to consider adding heater to the indoor villas’ pools or these will end up like white elephants instead. The step leading from the side of the pool to into the water is too wide and there needs to be an additional step for safety and accessibility reasons.

Personally, I preferred the small main outdoor pool which was joined with the jacuzzi. It was warmer under the sun and as everybody else was in their villas, we had the whole pool and jacuzzi to ourselves. One of the housekeeping staff told us that the weather now is too cold even for the Balinese themselves. He said that the best period to travel to Bali would be after August.

The room is very spacious and I love the layout of the room and Cattleya has one of the most comprehensive channels that we had come across during our travels. Although there were mozzies in the toilet and pool area, we never got bitten at all, which to me is simply amazing!

Breakfast was simple but you have to order the night before and they will serve it in your villa. Do yourself a favour and go for the local breakfast instead of Western as the western breakfast was a pathetic attempt at best. Our package included afternoon tea which consists basically of beverage for each person and 6 pieces of cookies. I think the concept is nice but the quality and quantity needs improving.

Internet is available 24 hours a day with a key code available from reception free of charge. The problem is after a while of usage, we always discovered that the ID and passwords are no longer valid and we needed to head to reception to get a new one which makes it a hassle especially when they change their IDs and passwords every day.

The reception has very nice staff like Wina and Dewa who tried to assist us in our every requests including changing of airport transfer timing, making reservations at Potato Head, Ku De Ta etc., and doing it all with a genuine smile. In fact, we find the best thing that make our trip so memorable and relaxing was the service from the staff.

2 thumbs up for the staff of Cattleya!!!

Room Tip: There is a Mase Restaurant serving Ippolito Coffee at Maca Villa within 5 - 10 minutes walk from Cat...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

Our booking came with an airport pick up, which made things very convenient. The cold wet towel and cold bottled water provided during our pickup also helped refresh ourselves after our flight.

When we arrived, we were informed that we got an upgrade to a room with a private pool during our 3 night stay at the hotel :) The room was big and tastefully decorated with an outdoor toilet. The air conditioning was powerful which provided us some respite from the hot bali weather. Television has many channels and the bed was comfortable. Toilet was big, clean and bugfree although it was outdoors. Water pressure was good and there was both a shower and a bathtub. Our private pool was also quite big and looked inviting. However, as mentioned in the previous reviews, the pool was covered and extremely cold, making swimming in it a little daunting.

Location wise, the hotel is not near the beach/town centre. The road in/out was bumpy, unpaved and had no lighting. As such the only way in/out is via the hotel shuttle (which the hotel staff was quick to arrange) or via taxi.

Breakfast standard was inconsistent. The first day, we ordered the local friend beehoon/noodle and it was extremely salty. We barely finished half our portions. However, the same order on the second day was perferctly fine. Although the selection for breakfast was limited, however the portions are huge as it came with a main, a fruit platter, coffee/tea and freshly squeezed juice.

Maybe due to the fact that the hotel was not running at full capacity, service was excellent and prompt.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank nibelung

Darwin, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2012

My twin sister and I booked these suites on a Groupon deal. We were very apprehensive about the cattleya suite as it was a new hotel and no reviews were available. The hotel offers an airport pick up service, in bali this is a huge plus when looking for a hotel, you do not have to fuss with taxi's or the possibility of getting ripped off by unregistered taxi. The gentleman who picked us up was very helpful, he spoke excellent english and made us comfortable from the start.

when we arrived the reception staff made us comfortable during check in and offered us a complimentary cocktail.

After check in we were shown to our room (201) - this room was a 2 bedroom suite with a private pool. we only paid for a one bed suite with pool, the other room was locked up. The hotel does have one bed private pool suites however I am assuming they were booked when we arrived, never the less I am sure all rooms vary only slightly, the more space we had the better in my opinion.

The room - you enter the room through a door leading from reception - to open this door you must use a security card, you must then climb stairs (this particular villa - other villas on different levels) - there are other bali style doors when you finish climbing the stairs and you can lock these to. The suite has a large freshwater pool with in pool jets and water fountain. There are lounge beds, lounge chairs , a leather sofa and sitting area along with fridge and microwave with cutlery and glasses for the guests convenience.

Inside the room itself the bed is a king size and comfortable (lockable doors here ) - the sheets were always immaculate after room service every morning. A plus point to note here, the staff clocked us leaving the hotel and would then instruct room service to enter, which did not create any embarrassment or any unease if we were present in the villa. The room is very spacious and has a powerful split air con system, blissful on them hot bali days. The room has a tv/dvd player / sat box with english speaking channels. - the toilet is situated in the next room to the bedroom and is very large with an extremely large bath tube, his/hers sink/ hairdryer/ all shower products/safe/ and power shower. I have stayed in seminiak before and payed double what we payed for the cattleya suite and the rooms here were a lot bigger. Fresh water was also supplied daily to brush our teeth and drink at our convenience.

Breakfast - we had breakfast included in our stay - This was the only disappointment for me - the food was cold when brought to us and the choice of food was limited to egg and a small rasher of bacon - small selection of fruit. Tea and coffee was served every morning but milk did not automatically come with the food - this was requested after the first morning of not having milk - they did thereafter bring milk for us. Despite the breakfast being a little dissatisfying it is a new hotel and hopefully these little issues will be ironed out in the future. The hotel should be made aware of these issues so that the service provided will be second to none.

Room service - what can I say - internet is available 24 hours a day with a key code available from reception free of charge. The hotel staff were very quick to respond to any request including reservations at nearby restaurants and taxi's. The room was service daily and staff would come to the room of a night to spray bug repellant and roach killer.

Reception/service - The hotel offers complimentary drop off in to the local town when available - this was very convenient - the hotel always obliged and took us to the heart of seminiak when required free of charge, this can be some times very helpful when taxi's are not available.

Taxi - from the above point you will question why there was sometimes an issue with getting a taxi in bali - the road leading to the cattleya is very bumpy and is in need of attention, therefore when taxi's do travel on this road, they are normally ordered or if not people are quick to jump in them. The road is full of high class , upmarket hotels, we were assured that in the future this road is likely to be sealed and travel made easier to and from the hotel, I did not see a huge problem with the road as such, most roads are like this in Bali.

Conclusion - we really enjoyed our stay during the soft opening stages of the hotel. we benefited from a fantastic deal - the hotel is in a good location - minutes away from potato head and Ku de Ta. We would stay here again with out a doubt. A risk with Groupon well worth taking.

Room Tip: Room 201 was very large and had a lovely pool - if you have a disability or have problems climbing s...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Greg A

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

The hotel is new, so everything is in a very good condition. They are still fixing some things, but there was not much noise. I stayed in a one bedroom pool suite. The bedroom was nice, very clean, and the service was great. However, there is few things that I personally didn't like and hence won't stay there any more. 1. Breakfast menu was quite poor (choice of Indonesian rice meals or American breakfast (eggs or omelet). No other options, like porridge, yogurt, etc. 2. All their one bedroom pool suites are located on the ground floor and pools in them are under cover (roof), so water in the swimming pools is very cold as sun never gets there. If you want a good private pool choose only two bedroom pool suites, as all of them are located upstairs and are open air. I swam only once in my private pool and never used it again as water was too cold and there was lots of dust on the surface. Also the big pool (public) is very small, so you actually can't enjoy it. 3. Location. It's not the best location if you want to be close to the beach, shops and restaurants/clubs. The closest beach is in 15-20 minute walk and there is no foot pathways, so it makes it really uncomfortable getting to the beach. However, they can drop you off for free to main beaches in Kuta, Seminyak, etc.
Generally it's not a bad place to stay, and staff is very friendly and supporting.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Surfer g

E Commerce Manager | ecommerce@marbellaseminyak.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kerobokan
Uppala Villa Seminyak
#56 of 250 in Kuta
Sense Hotel Seminyak
Sense Hotel Seminyak
#61 of 141 in Seminyak

Been to Marbella Pool Suite? Share your experiences!