“Two nights in a row!”

Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed March 5, 2014

We dropped by Mamasan on a whim, just because I saw it on our hotel guide. We didn't really expect much before going there and I didn't even have a reservation. Since we didn't have a reservation and the restaurant was full (which is the norm, as I later found out), we were ushered to the lounge area on the second floor. Being more curious than hungry, we were simply planning on having a few drinks and maybe an appetizer or two. Much to our delight, the food was really good, service was fast, friendly and professional (a complete contrast to Chandi where we ate the night before - see my other review). We ended up having 4 drinks and 3 plates of food. So much for just dropping in. We liked the place so much, I immediately made a reservation for the following night right there and then.

The second night, we were seated in the main dining area (since we had a reservation this time). This was a bit more crowded but service and food were still great. We had the crispy lamb on both nights as this was amazing! After eating, we requested to move upstairs to the lounge area as this was more relaxing with sofas and arm chairs. We got the same spot as the previous night and the manager and servers remembered us well. All in all, very good experiences for both nights and we will definitely be back when we come to Bali!

Reviewed March 5, 2014

I think not easy to do: get the setting, surroundings, staff, food, music all pressing the same button at the same time. But they do. There is a certainty of mission which is extraordinary. It is obviously a team mission and thus the staff training must to be complimented.

We ate at Sarong, the sister restaurant a couple of nights earlier and felt the same quiet confidence and excellence: Sarong with an opulent boudoir quiff yet tangibly relaxed.

First thing you notice is the way the staff care for you. There are lots of staff and managers in place but clearly roles are defined and each knows their responsibilities. All charming and friendly.

The interior is industrial/arty with softer edges: huge huge fresh flower arrangements, cushions and art work softens the metal and wood high ceilinged restaurant. Music wonderful.

The menu offers Asian fusion and the executive chef is Will Merick, a Scottish/Australian guy. Our food was amazingly brilliant! I started with snapper dumplings, and to say that makes it seem simple. I cannot tell you how good they were! With a dip. My partner started with salt and pepper soft shelled crab: excellent too and new to us Brits! Our mains a crispy duck with fresh herbs and ginger and then a lamb josh of sorts.......with fried vegetable rice. So so good. And Michael finished with deep fried ice cream with Nutella because it had been recommended. Good, but nothing as good as the lemongrass pannacotta with citrus cucumber jelly and lemon sorbet on offer at Sarong. Maybe the best dessert ever on the planet!

And add to that the fact that a senior member of the team passes by each table checking that all is well......showing a great respect for each and every customer's experience there.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

Six adults dined and six adults were massively impressed! The restaurant itself looks very classy but still Balinese. Plenty of room between tables. The food is creative, looks spectacular and the flavour combinations are masterful. Lots to eat for the vegetarian family member ... In fact the dish of the night for all of us was vegetarian starter. We ordered 6 starters to share (the waitress upgraded to 6 pieces in each) before main so we knew what mains to go with. A great idea as everyone could try everything and thankfully, we were spared ordering 6 mains and being unable to do justice to the food. We ended up with 2 mains, a vegetable dish and rice. The food was fabulous. The only minor nitpick for some with us - the restaurant is very noisy. But ... Highly recommend.

Reviewed March 1, 2014

Had meals at Mama San several times.
The food is definitely great, big portions and great flavours. Desserts are so-so unfortunately.
What is not good is their reservation system, and the snobbish attitude they have for everybody. Once I tried (unsuccessfully) to book for lunch over the phone, but I was told the restaurant was already fully booked and the reservations closed. Anyway the operator on the phone suggested me to walk in anyway, assuring me that I would get a seat (?). Of course, they said that no seats were available, and we were asked to wait 30 minutes for a table (even if the restaurant was half empty). After complaining a lot, as I was told to just walk in to get a table, we got accompanied upstairs where we could finally seat in an empty dining area. They had the nerve to warn us that we might have had to share our big table with somebody else. This, of course, never happened.
The meal came quickly, and we were very happy. But we left really unsatisfied with their attitude.

Reviewed March 1, 2014

We absolutely loved this restaurant and of the five top end restaurants we went to during our stay we enjoyed this the most. The ambience of the restaurant is wonderful.....unfortunately like many of the top end places in Bali the staff are simply not up to the job either in knowledge of the dishes or special requirements like gluten free suggestions. However, unlike many other restaurants Mamasan's staff are overseen by senior People and once we had identified a communication issue our service was taken over by a senior manageress who was full of knowledge on the menu and suggestions....made such a difference to our enjoyment. Food is Asian, full of spices and character and simply wonderful. An absolute must for a food experience in Bali.