“Highly recommend - fresh, new, fantastic food - the new place to visit in Seminyak”
Review of Mamasan

Mamasan
Ranked #12 of 216 Restaurants in Kerobokan
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed December 5, 2011

Visited this restaurant yesterday on a recommendation from a friend who had been there the week before. Absolutely fantastic experience. Everything brand new, interesting architectural features, staff extremely professional and the food selection and quality were excellent - could not fault anything - high recommend as a must do when in Seminyak.

3  Thank Kiwi-child
SuzyWongBali, Public Relations Manager at Mamasan, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2011

Dear Kiwi-child,

Thank you for taking the time to write a positive review about your experience at Mama San. The staff were thrilled to hear about you enjoying the food, service and design. As we are a new restaurant we are doing our best to ensure our guests do have positive experiences so your comments go far in giving our staff the encouragement they need to strive to be better and consistent. Thanks again and hope we see you again very soon! The Mama San Team

Reviewed December 4, 2011

This past weekend we visited Bali and over morning coffee read about a new Asian influenced restaurant that had opened in Seminyak/Kerobokan area - MAMMA SAN. We decided there and then to go to Mamma San for lunch and we were delighted to have made a very good choice! When we arrived at noon there were only a few diners but by the time we left 1 1/2 hours later the place was packed. The food was excellent, with so many amazing flavours in each mouthful. My husband tried the duck soup which came with a side order of noodles & pronounced it "unusual combination of flavours that really work". I do not recall the name of my dish but it was very similar to a curry laksa, once again with a wide variety of flavours that were a delight, & one of the best I have ever had & I have lived in Asia for 20 years. The staff were very attentive as were the owners in describing the menu choices. Definitely a restaurant to return to.

1  Thank nomadmamma
Reviewed December 4, 2011

We had to visit MamaSan when we found out it was by the same group as one of our favourite restaurants Sarong. We stopped by for lunch.
The interior is amazing - absolutely stunning. I love the "singapore girl" watching over the patrons from the far wall.
We tried the Thai fishcakes (delish & my favourite for the day), snapper dumplings, noodles, peach icetea with mango sorbet and a caramel frappe. All good.
I think the service could improve a little and am sure it will with a little more training.
I will return again when I am next visiting Bali.

Dear Perthshatzi,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write positively about your recent dining experience at Mama San. We too love the Thai fish cakes, snapper dumplings and all the iced-tea selections on the menu! It is always so good to hear what our guests enjoy most. Your comments on the design were also greatly appreciated and also about your experience of the service. You are absolutely right about the staff and training. Every afternoon our service team are being trained so they can be better prepared to provide a more consistent and professional service to our guests, so we do hope to see you again soon. Thanks again! The Mama San Team

Reviewed November 29, 2011

A smooth, cool, suave and sophisticated environment. Mamasan transports you out of Bali and into the meat packing district New York. As a sister company to the very famous Sarong, Mamasan offers asian fusion delights downstairs and fantastic cocktails in the upstairs bar area.

Food - very good, very reliable and very tasty. It is the western version of many asian delights, very rich and very morish.

Service - reasonably prompt, nothing special. Book ahead. Sarong did it and now Mamasan is to, basically despite the fact that the restaurant is empty they will insist that you book ahead. Its quite annoying and feels like a strategy to build fame.

Drinks - a decent wine list but the real deal is in the cocktails. I remember asking for "the best drink" the waitress said "ok", my friends asked what i got, i said the best drink, they siad oh we'll have that too. I have no idea what i ordered but what came back was the best drink! .. it comes in a brown paper bag and makes you feel like a wino...very cool.

Value - great value but not cheap. At he end of the day it is just a really great bar and restaurant and so the money is worth it.

Atmosphere - probably the equal best part is the venue. Decor is terrific, big pictures of Mamasan herself on the walls, very stylish. The music has always been excellent and i have found myself returning frequently. The seating downstairs is fairly basic, it works, upstairs though is a selection of arm chairs, bar stools and more.

Why wouldn't I go:
I would say this though, if you are looking for a Bali experience this is not really the place. I love it, then again i live in Bali and so I look for a New York, or Urban bar experience, that's why I love it. If you are sunsets, beach, or Bali outdoors you will not get that here.

Best: Cocktails and Venue
Worst: not much wrong here, i get annoyed at the booking thing though
Go Again: Are you kidding I have been 6 times.

Conclusion: if you want a sophisticated evening of great tunes and awesome cocktails this is the spot.

1  Thank michaelmckerlie
Reviewed November 28, 2011

One of the latest openings in Bali, located in Seminyak. A nice varied international menu served in a rather cold atmosphere - could be Miami, New York, Sydney....but being in Bali, I would expect something different. Caipirinha served in a terracotta sugar bowl (it looked like one) is a definite no-go, sorry! Service does not match the overall concept and pricing level.

SuzyWongBali, General Manager at Mamasan, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2011

Dear marcodasha3,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience at Mama San. We were delighted to hear that you enjoyed the international menu and found you could have been in one of several countries while at Mama San. That is precisely what we were hoping to achieve with our concept - something very different to any thing else in Bali, but could be anywhere in the world. We often received comments from global travellers who also include Europe and London into the mix too. We were sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the cocktail in the terracotta vessel. A lot of our "prohibition style" cocktails are served with a twist and many patrons find this a wonderful novelty so a shame you didn't enjoy it. We do have a company training our service staff and we value your comment regarding the service. Thanks again for taking the time to write about your experience. Mama San