“Well worth the stay”
Review of Villa Kayu Raja

Villa Kayu Raja
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Kerobokan
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Although it's a rocky road to get there (they are to improve) the staff were most friendly, accomdation was comfortable and breakfast was ok too. On our most recent visit to Bali we even passed by to say hello.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank pidinaz
Gustra D, Director of Sales at Villa Kayu Raja, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2013

Hi Pidinaz, greeting from Villa Kayu Raja!
On behalf of Staff & Management, I would like to express my sincere thank you for staying with us recently & post a comment on this page! We appreciated that! Your comment and compliment regarding our staff, really make us grateful and encourages us to do even more in the future in the same time. We hope that you can come back to stay with us again, as the road in front of the villa is already flawless & smooth... Have a nice day!

Reviewed July 3, 2013

A friend and I spent 9 days at Villa Kayu Raja and definitely enjoyed ourselves. The villa was very very comfortable. Like others we found the pool a little cool but was definitely refreshing after a day out and a good way to refresh after getting hot and sweaty walking around etc. The breakfast was good and service friendly, polite and attentive. The front desk staff were very helpful on standard requests but struggled a little bit with anything a little unusual. All of the staff overall though were friendly and polite and did a good job. I agree with other reviews about the kitchen - you can't really call it a villa if you only supply cook plates and nothing to use with them. Given we wanted to enjoy our villa and not go out every night, it would have been very handy to have a chopping board, knife and a few other utensils and maybe a microwave - which we have had in other villas before but we made do with what we had. We did not bother asking so they may have supplied on request but that's not really the point - villas are meant to be equipped. And yes, they could have done with putting a loo downstairs !!! The "broken road" was ok almost amusing - especially when the taxi drivers asked "is the road still bumpy/broken" - but you did get a bit over it by the end, considering we stayed for quite a few days. We didn't mind not having air con down stairs and coped quite well with the fan - helped you acclimatise and it was quite pleasant really. Overall, for what we paid, which was a very good deal, it was a good stay and a pleasant time. However, once the road is fixed and with some attention to detail in the villas, it would help improve the experience - not sure what they can do with the pools though !

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank BendigoTravellers

Dear Bendigo Travellers, trust my email find you well!
Firstly, on behalf of Staff & Management, I would like to express my sincere thank you for staying with us recently & post some comments on this page! We appreciated that! Your comments and compliment regarding our staff, really make us grateful and in the same time encourages us to do even more in the future . Your inputs about the pool's construction, livingroom, foods & kitchen amenities were very honest & usefull. We will use it as a guidance to create & give a better produtcs & services to all of our guets in the future. Especially for the pool, I don't think we have much way to work it on as it's refer to our villa construction. Last but not least, I hope you can come back to stay with us again, as the road in front of the villa is already flawless & smooth... Have a nice day!

Reviewed July 1, 2013

The staff at the Villa were fantastic nothing a problem for them. Breakfast very nice as we love to try all different food . We received 2 complementary half hour massages the massage lady came to your bedroom and set up we loved it total bliss.Living room open plan looking onto pool very hot the ceiling fan not enough for Bail heat, Pool very cold with little sun but was nice to pop in when hot.
The bedroom is huge wardrobe is too short so can't hang dresses.
No toilet downstairs so you had to go up to the bathroom in the bedroom every time you wanted to use the toilet. The bathrooms were good and had decent amenities with a nice jacuzzi and rain shower to enjoy, a nice glass wall so you can see into the bedroom and watch tv it u wanted Nice toiletries supplied and re stocked every day. Internet when it worked, it was slow and had a lot of delay and the connection frequently timed out when visiting websites. Had problems with tv after a storm Maintenance there very quick to fix. Over all not the best Villa we have stayed but good value for money. Advice to Villa Management maybe put a toaster, pots and fry pan in the kitchen there is a 2 burner gas stove and nothing to cook with.

Room Tip: Ask for a even number room you will get a little more sun on the pool.
2  Thank Neryl W

Hi Neryl W, trust my writing find you well...
On behalf of Staff & Management, I would like to express my sincere thank you for staying with us recently & post a comment on this page! We appreciated that! Your comment and compliment regarding our staff, really make us grateful and encourages us to do even more in the future in the same time. Your inputs about the pool's construction, livingroom, foods & kitchen amenities were very elegant & usefull. We will use it as a guidance to create & give a better produtcs & services to all of our guets in the future. I hope you can come back to stay with us again, as the road in front of the villa is already flawless & smooth... Have a nice day!

Regards,

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Firstly, thanks to all the staff at Kayu Raja for making our trip absolutely amazing. Nothing was too much to ask for from the staff, be it small things like travel adapters, to booking tours and restaurants, and even arranging breakfast outside normal times, they did it with utmost interest and dedication. They always smiled and said hello whenever they passed us, and not just a formal 'Hello, how are you', but a genuine heartfelt greeting that is so lost in the western culture. All in all, we were treated like royalty and nothing can be faulted in service from this hotel. The housekeeping staff was also very thorough, and always left the room completely clean, arranged and stocked. The maintenance staff was there in less than 2 minutes after I called to report a problem with the AC, and they fixed it in 10 minutes flat.

The rooms were very good sized, and the beds were very large and comfy although some people may find them a bit hard. There was a large TV in the room, big enough to be dominant in an especially large bedroom. The bathrooms were good and had decent amenities, and the Jacuzzi and Rain Shower were great too. What I didn't like about this villa was the construction of the pool and the living area downstairs. Firstly, there was no air con in that area so you really couldn't sit there and enjoy during the humid/hot season. Also, the internet in the room was very bad, and the WiFi router was not even powerful enough to give a decent signal in the bedroom upstairs. Even when it worked, it was slow and had a lot of delay and the connection frequently timed out when visiting websites. The internet at the reception/restaurant was much better.

The restaurant was beautiful, and the breakfast selection was also good enough although it lacked in variety. The egg station during breakfast was the highlight, and I loved the omelets they made. The lunch/dinner menu is also decent, but we had almost all our meals outside. The Ippolito cafe, just a minute walk from the hotel, has great coffee and food. Also, at a 5 minute walk is Sarong Restaurant which has an amazing decor and excellent food. We also had a 1 hr massage included in our package and this massage was given in our bedroom and they arranged the entire setup there itself. The massage was also very good, much better than what I got in the shops around the hotel.

Overall, this was an excellent place considering the scoopon deal we got for 5 nights. This is not the best hotel in Bali, but it is an excellent one none the less. I really wish I could give 10 stars instead of 5 for Service.

Room Tip: Lower numbered rooms are closer to the reception, but the high number ones aren't far either. It...
1  Thank Rahul K
Gustra D, Director of Sales at Villa Kayu Raja, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Hi Rahul K, greeting from Villa Kayu Raja - Bali! Trust my writing find you well...
On behalf of staff & management, I would like to express my sincere thank you for staying with us & share your thought about our villa in this page. Your comments & review are really appreciated & we would use it as guidance for a better service to all of our guest in the future. And, as one of our objective to give best possible service to all of our guest, therefore we would extend to maintain & upgrade our services & facilities in the villa all the time. Fyi, the road now is in the development progress, and expected to be done in next month (Sept'13). Last but not least, I hope that we would able to serve you even better again in the future. Just drop us an email to a better arrangement & to find out the update of the villa. Have a nice day!

Reviewed June 28, 2013

We booked this resort based on reviews and photos. We had a one bedroom villa which yes, looks like the photos but that's about it....

Pros
Location is great, within walking distance to great restaurants, potato head, w hotel etc
Your own pool is a great treat, but you don't get sun for longer than an hour around lunchtime so it's not somewhere you lay for the day and the pool is very cold. We ended up going over to ippolito coffe house 100m up the road and using their pool which was lovely, flowing waterfalls etc and free of charge to use.
Staff were amazing, nothing was too much trouble and they were very friendly and always smiling.
Pick up at airport was very smooth, driver was there and took us straight to car and about 45 mins later we were at the resort
Breakfast was sufficient but too many Asian options over western
Air conditioning in bedroom was a saviour

Cons
Completely open plan down in the living area right out to the pool so absolutely no air conditioning downstairs. You could not sit down there for long before youn needed to escape back to the bedroom for the air con.

This also meant that you heard every conversation your neighbour had, if their tv was on, you may as well go and join them because it echoes into your villa and you can't hear your own tv.

The bathroom has an amazing rain shower but you can't really use it as any longer than 3-4 mins in the shower and you flood the bathroom as the drainage is so bad as I discovered getting out the first time and water was almost in the bedroom...I ended up standing in the bath to have showers so I could wash my hair, this is not ideal.

The bed while huge was the most uncomfortable bed we have ever slept in, hard as rock, might as well be sleeping on a plank of wood.

Housekeeping was also average, didn't remove glasses from the bedroom and replace or clean, we had to do it ourselves, left empty bottles in the bedroom as well.

Wardrobe is too short so can't hang dresses

The villas themselves are looking very tired and look quite cheaply built and furnished, peeling paint etc
All in all, we had a pleasant stay and the worst things were the open plan noise factor and no airconditioning downstairs which is a major flaw. I'm sure there are plenty of better places around at this price. We're looking forward to going home to get a good night sleep.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank grant_yvette

Hi Grant_Wette, greeting from Villa Kayu Raja - Bali! Trust my writing find you well...
On behalf of staff & management, I would like to express my sincere thank you for staying with us & share your thought about our villa in this page. Your comments & review are really appreciated... and it would use as a guidance in accordance to satisfy our guest in the future. And, as one our objective to give best possible service to all of our guest, therefore we would extend to maintain & upgrade our services & facilities in the villa all the time. Last but not least, I hope that we would able to serve you again even better in the future. Have a nice day!

Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

Terima Kasi to all of the staff of Villa Kayu Raja (Reception and Agus, Drivers, Masseurs, Housekeeping, Restaurant) for making our stay and my birthday so special! As soon as I started emailing Saska with questions, to when we were picked up by Kadek, to the sad time we had to leave; we were treated like royalty, all of the staff are so special and kind. They were friendly and helpful and they were also prompt to assist us in directions and any other queries. On my birthday we received the complementary massages which were absolute bliss. The beautiful villa staff also gave me a yummy and gorgeous birthday cake as a surprise, which I am so thankful for :) The villas are devine! they are clean, beautifully designed, decorated and maintained, just like the photos. The pool is amazing, and perfect to cool off in the heat, the jacuzzi is magic, the bed so comfy and great air con and room service, Subawa and Nengah taught us some basic Balinese words each time they delivered yummy food for dinner. The whole place is just amazing! We had no problem with Mosquitos, but staff light coils and spray to get rid of them. The famous bumpy road was not bad at all, it caused absolutely no problems for us. We honestly did not want to come home. I have stayed elsewhere in Bali on previous occasion, but staying at Kayu Raja was extremely special! Thank you so much to all of the staff at Villa Kayu Raja for your loveliness and your friendliness and making our stay last in our memories forever! I recommend anyone looking for absolute bliss to stay here and I hope to return again soon.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Sarah B

Hi Sarah B, greeting from Villa Kayu Raja - Bali! Trust my writing find you well...
On behalf of staff & management, I would like to express my sincere thank you for staying with us & share your thought about our villa in this page. Your comments & review are really appreciated. As one our objective to give best possible service to all of our guest, therefore we would extend to maintain & upgrade our services & facilities in the villa all the time. Thank you for the inputs & comments, it's really appreciated. The road now is in the development progress, and expected to be done in next month (Sept'13). Last but not least, I hope that we would able to serve you again even better in the future. Just drop us an email to a better arrangement then. Have a nice day!

Reviewed June 19, 2013

We stayed here last week in a one bdrm villa & have tried other villas in Seminyak - this is not as modern & is looking tired here & there but the staff couldnt be faulted.

Pros;
MASSIVE bed, looks like a Superking
Very large bedroom
Staff were always very friendly, said hello when ever we passed them & nothing was too hard, most spoke great English too
Great coffee shop literally 2mins (not even that) from the hotel - fab service
Pool was nice & refreshing
Air con worked well
Our valet service to pick us up was ontime & effiecient (our driver Gusti was fantastic)
Complimentry water & fruit platter in the fridge on arrival
Breakfast was sufficient
Bathroom was roomy & heaps of amenties provided
Great shower with two diff shower heads
Housekeeping were great, they were like ninja's! They seemed to know when were gone even if it was for only an hr & we would come back to a clean villa once again. Best housekeeping out of any place ive stayed at in Bali
A close walk to heaps of restaurants, we tried Baba's, Taco Local & The Breeze at Samaya. All with 10-20mins walking distance.

Cons:
Only one toliet which is upstairs which is a bit annoying.
Pool was in the shade most of the day so couldnt really sunbathe. Mostly private pool.
Our wardrobe was only a half size one so if you had long dresses they couldnt be hung properly
Safe was complicated to operate
Construction behind us so some hammering noises in the morning
As previously mentioned by other viewers the roads to the villa are pot holed & damaged & not lit at night in some parts although we felt it was safe to walk although taxis are abundant.

A pleasant stay all in all, although there are a ton of villas/hotels to choose from in Bali now some of which I think would be nicer (some worse!) but would still recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a villa that has an odd number, we stayed in villa 15 - they get the most sun on the pool.
2  Thank FoodieForLife81

Hi EssjayluvsAj , greeting from Villa Kayu Raja - Bali! Trust my writing find you well...
On behalf of staff & management, I would like to thank you for staying with us & share your thought about our villa in this page. As one our objective to give best possible service to all of our guest, therefore we would extend to maintain & upgrade our services & facilities in the villa all the time. Thank you for the inputs & comments, it's really appreciated. The road now is in the development progress, and expected to be done in next month (Sept'13). Last but not least, I hope that we would able to serve you again even better in the future.

Gustra D.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kerobokan
The Kunja Villas & Spa
The Villas Bali Hotel & Spa
Villa Seminyak Estate & Spa
Villa Seminyak Estate & Spa
#49 of 148 in Seminyak

Been to Villa Kayu Raja? Share your experiences!