“Seven Days of Romantic Luxury”
Review of Villa Kayu Raja

Villa Kayu Raja
Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Kerobokan
Brisbane, Australia
“Seven Days of Romantic Luxury”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Amazing is really the only way to describe this resort. As the other reviewers find, truly luxurious.

We booked a package that included 7 x nights, buffet breakfast each morning, 1 x romantic dinner and airport transfers. I can’t fault the value.

We arrived late (10pm) at the airport and we were met by the resort’s private driver. He carried our bags to the car and drove us to the resort. Don’t be too worried about the roads. They are in poor condition and the infrastructure throughout Bali is poor, but this resort is amazing. The driver (Mas) escorted us to our room and walked the entire villa, showing us every feature.

Truly incredible service.

I cannot fault the service. This team will do anything for you. Book a restaurant, arrange a tour, a power adapter, an umbrella... if you can think of it... they’ll get it. Even the ground staff will stop what they are doing, stand up and greet you with a big smile and ‘hello’. The hotel will arrange for a driver to take you into town (Seminyak) if you wish. In fact, their driver dropped us locally at a number of different places. The beach is 10 minutes walk away.

The villa’s are just as described in the photos. You enter into a very large lounge room, the private plunge pool (3m x 10m) is soothing after a long day. A kitchenette and massive bar fridge. Upstairs is a cavernous, fully air conditioned bedroom, king size bed and huge bathroom (equipped with double shower heads and a spa bath). Two large plasma TV’s and DVD Players.

I do notice a couple of negative reviews about this resort, but I can’t comprehend them. I am literally sitting at the airport now (9th Jan 2013) waiting for my flight after being dropped here by the hotels’ driver. These ‘Negative Nellies’ really must have nothing to do but complain.

The service and cleanliness was what I would expect to find anywhere. The service was better than I have found in New York, Paris, UK and Australia. The rooms were ‘made up’ each day, towels changed, mini bar re-stocked. I cannot believe complaints about not being able to find a taxi. Seriously, I was sick of them ‘beeping’ me for a fare. Complaints about the condition of motor bikes/scooters... really doesn’t have anything to do with the resort... and there would be a dozen scooter hire places within walking distance.

Ok, a couple of small improvements. The swipe card to unlock your villa door tended to fault every two days. It was simply re-set at reception. Not a big problem, just a little annoying. The bar fridge was large, but somewhat empty. Other than two Bintang, a couple of bottles of water and some soft drink... not much more. I would suggest adding spirits, snacks, wine.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank DrGee1968
Gustra D, Director of Sales at Villa Kayu Raja, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Hi Dr. Gee, warmest greeting from Villa Kayu Raja- Bali..where the charms gather! Trust this will find you well... On behalf of the management, I would express our sincere thank you for choosing Villa Kayu Raja as your accommodation during your holiday! Also for your kindest review for our villa & services, it is really appreciated. We hope that we could always provide & maintain the best possible services to all our valued guests in the future. Thank you & Have a nice day...!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We recently stayed at this villa for a week and we had an amazing time here. With an extremely active toddler, I emailed them in advance to ask that the pool be fenced off. Not only was the pool fenced off, in fact, there were glass doors permitting entry to the pool, perfect. Villa staff were wonderfully sweet and nice. We got everything we asked for. The rooms were spacious and had everything we needed. Plus they were always cleaned no matter what time we left the villa and even if we were out for just a couple of hours, upon returning it was clean, so very impressed. Our room key didn't work every second day and had to be recoded plus we had some issues with short circuiting power in a villa a couple of times so that was abit annoying, however, not a big deal. I found downstairs abit too warm so happily stayed upstairs most of the time, which was nice and spacious. I would definitely recommend this villa to families as the staff are great at catering for this. The breakfast was great, no complaints (I've had worse at a similar priced villa in Vanuatu). The location is abit further out and it is hard pushing a pram along the beaten track, however, it is easy to get around in taxis and I'm sure eventually this area will be buzzing with construction. Had a great time in bali and will definitely be back. I thank all the lovely staff for their kind service and my son William had a ball!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Vi-will
Dear Vi-Will, greeting from Villa Kayu Raja...where the charms gather! On behalf of the management & team here, I would express our sincere thank you for choosing our Villa as your accommodation during your holiday in Bali. We hope that we could maintain and always provide the best possible services to all of our valued guest in the future. Last but not least, thank you once again for the reviews & we really appreciated that. Have a nice day & look forward to serve you even better in the future.
Cheers/Gustra D.
Australia
Reviewed December 31, 2012

At the time of booking there wasn't many option open to us. Kayu Raja looked great on the Internet and trip advisor but does not live up to expectations.

Let me start by saying we are lucky to stay in amazing hotels around the world but when you call yourself 5 stars you have to live up to that standard and Kayu Raja doesn't.

Reception
Very basic, staff not well trained when ever you asked anything they just smiled with a blank look and there face. They have no idea what to do. All they say is sorry.. Our room key constantly didn't work we had over 5 keys recoded, no one investigated why this was happening.

When we checked in I had ordered 2 motorbikes, the receptionist said she would have them ready by 10am the next morning, I was impressed. At 11am the next day went to reception to get the keys for the bikes and they had no record of the bikes been ordered, I explained that the receptionist last night was organising it, a few hurried calls were made and we told they would be ready in 30 mins, so not your great experience

It gets worse the bikes were old and clapped out, the helmets were so disgusting we refused to use them it looked as if things were growing in them, I opted to ride to the closest store and buy two helmets, god only knows what lice and disease would have been in the helmets.

We rode around seminyak and every time the bike stopped it would not start again and we would have to kick start the bikes. My partner cut his foot severely when trying to kick start the bikes, we demanded the bikes be changed and again which took another 30 mins.

Then my replacement bike had no brakes...great that night asked reception to ring the company and replace the bike, it took a bit of talking but they promised to do so. Next morning at breakfast requested the new bike and they hadn't done anything about it... Totally useless, I wouldn't recommend getting the bikes from them they are poor quality for the price.

Calling for a taxi is way too hard for reception as well, rang from the villa to book a taxi went to reception no sign of a taxi or them calling one but told better to hail one on the street gain is this 5 stars???

When emailing the hotel they didn't return emails and had to call them to get confirmation when the dates changed.

Cleaning of the villa
Not a 5 star experience. The gazebo on the roof had rubbish left from the last guests, when housekeeping came the next day told them to take the rubbish, they went to the roof and cleaned it but left the rubbish it is still there now the day before check out.

As mentioned my partner badly cut his foot and that night bleed in bed leaving some blood marks on the floor this is day 2, 4 days later the blood marks are still there so they don't clean the floors

Never replaced the soap and shower was, left the empty in the bath where it stayed for 3 days, in any 5 star hotel amenities are replaced twice a day.

Downstairs bins were not emptied and glasses not cleaned

The bedroom
The bed is large which is great but also made of concrete not great could hardly sleep on it. Spoke to reception to place a mattress topper on which they said they had. Once again nothing happened so another bad night sleep, next day when to care fours supermarket and bought a mattress topper and now we could sleep, it wasn't hard to do why could they do that?

The villa
The villa looks like the photos which is great but remember the lounge area is open , no air conditioning lots of Mosquitos day and night,

Very noisy villas you can hear the tv in other villas as the sound bounces off the walls, you could hear music and tv from villa 4 doors away.

The pool get no sun so if you want to sun tan this is not the place for you.

We were told that the villa with gazebo had sun beds when I called the hotel, well again this is not true there was 2 massage tables, not sun beds!!

Would I recommend this villa complex or stay here again no, for the reason that none of our concerns were addressed, just remember its not where the charm gathers.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Nannamac
Gustra D, Director of Sales at Villa Kayu Raja, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Hi Mr. Paul McAllister, I am so sorry to heard your unpleasant situation during stay at Villa Kayu Raja. My name Gustra Darma, on behalf of Management please accept my apologize for what happened to you in our villa recently. For your information, we try all the time to give the best possible service to all of our guest in the villa, but somehow we admit that we still had weaknesses & in happen sometime. Thank you for sharing your thought about us through this media, we appreciate it & we will use it as a guidelines to make sure this kind of experiences not happen again to any of our guests in Villa Kayu Raja in the future.
Furthermore, should you have any question & requirement regarding us, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at: dosm@villakayuraja.com.
Thank you once again & have a nice day!
Rgds/Gustra Darma
Albany
Reviewed December 7, 2012

My husband and I recenty returned from a weeks stay at Kayu Raja Villas and had a very enjoyable stay. The Villas are just as they look on the website, however they are new and we did notice a few cracks and wear on the villas already. I imagine with the humidity and weather that in 5 or so years they will be rather tired.

The staff were very friendly and spoke good english and were very grateful for our limited knowledge and attempt to communicate in their language - bahasa balinese.

Breakfasts were included and were average. Selection was rather limited, coffee not fabulous and the egg station botched up our order on a couple of occasions.

Rooms were very clean, and well kept however there were a few little suggestions we will make if we can. Our villa - 35 - seemed to need more foliage around the pool. There was a little but we felt that alongside what was just a big concrete wall, perhaps more foliage or even a big plaque or carving would have been nice.

Another little downside - and we are being very picky here - was that the sunshine didn't flood the pool for much of the day. We would try to be back in the villa between 11.30 -1.30/2 each day just so that we could lay by the pool and soak up some sunshine.

The bathroom upstairs was very luxurious. The shower had two heads, unfortunately the biggest one didn't work well and sprayed water everywhere so we used the handheld for the entire stay. The spa was gorgeous! Only problem was both my husband and I had a hard time emptying it so had to call housekeeping each time.

Also dvd player downstairs was very unrealiable.

Sleeping here was a 'dream'! The beds were fabulously comfortable and made for very sound sleep each night.

Location was great. Just off Jl Petitenget in Seminyak. We hire scooters when in Bali and it was very easy and quick to get to all our favourite spots throughout Seminyak.

Unfortunately on this trip, I became quite unwell and was bound to the villa for 4 days. The doctor and nurses were called in and I have to praise the Villa staff for being so caring and considerate towards me throughout my sickness. Its always hard being unwell when abroad so I was most grateful for their genuine concern.

We have stayed in villas prior to this and to us, is the best possible way to spend our time in Bali. In comparison to our past accommodation I would probably not rate Villa Kayu Raja as 5 star but certainly 4/4.5. It was good value and we would definitely stay there again, and recommend to our friends and family.

Terima Kasih - we will be back!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chrisnholz
Gustra D, Director of Sales at Villa Kayu Raja, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Hi Chrisnholz, trust this find you well... On behalf of Villa Kayu Raja, I would express my sincere thank for staying with us during your holiday recently in Bali. I do apologize for a mistake that our staff has been doing while serve you at the breakfast time & elsewhere in the villa. We'll noted your comments & certainly will do our best possibility to make abetter services in the future for our guests. Also, we are sorry heard that you've been unwell during your time here in Bali... Last but not least, hopefully we could meet again in a better arrangements in the future. Thanks & Cheers/Gustra
Perth, Australia
Reviewed December 7, 2012

My wife and i stayed at Kayu Raja in november for 10 days, the villas were absolutley beautiful, spacious well appointed and very clean, The pool was fantastic, the meals at the resturant very tasty and a very expert, friendly and helpfull staff. The buffet breakfast was lovely, you couldnt have asked for a wider range of food.Being a little set back from the action suited us,although if u wanna go anywhere,its mostly just a cheap, short taxi ride, which the staff can arrange for you. Big flat screens in the lounge and bedroom were a bonus! There is a video store a massage palour,and a great little bar just 5 min walk from the villa, Drop in to Bali Ayu bar and have a drink and a friendly chat with Ketut.(great guy and cold cold drinks), There is a mini mart ( lawsons if u wanna chill at the villa with snacks) and a reputable money changer with good rates right next door. We didnt encounter nightmarish mozzies and bugs??? even if there was the staff spray for them,can come to your room and personally spay or you can just light a mozzie coil (provided free of course) The pool was nice and cool providing a nice relaxing feeling in the humidity, A tall cool drink and a paddle was very relaxing, Surround sound on both tv's was great(for music as well). Beautiful marble bathroom with two showers and a spa bath was great. Our only bad ( not really) point was a bed that was perhaps a bit firmer than we like, when the staff asked how our stay was going,,I said fantastic but the bed is a bit firm they quickly offered to put on extra doonas and padding!!!! Tipping the staff was a highlight for me, seeing thier faces light up when you give them 5 bucks for doing a great job made my day. We stayed in villa number 2 right at the start of the villa complex,and upon checkout noticed our roomservice bill was less than half of what we sort off thought :) overall a fantastic stay and would highly recomend it to absolutley everyone as absolutley everyone can be catered for. A BIG THANKS to everyone at KAYU RAJA who made our honeymoon such an enjoyable experience...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NATO75
Gustra D, Director of Sales at Villa Kayu Raja, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Hi Guys... trust my email find you well... On behalf of management and staff Villa Kayu Raja, I would express my sincere thank you to you for staying with us during your vacation in Bali recently. I hope that you guys experienced a memorable holidays in Bali. Thank you also for the comment & suggestion, we will use it as a motivation to serve more better to all our guest in the villa next time. Last but not least, hopefully we could meet again in the future. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year 2013! May all day of the year 2013 will fill with a lot of joy & happiness to all of us & family! Cheers/Gustra D.
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed November 15, 2012

4 floors of private luxury. From the moment they picked us up till they dropped us at the airport outstanding service on all fronts. During our five day stay we had not one point to complain about. Friendly staff, beautiful villa with private pool, flat screens and cable everywhere, elaborate morning buffet.

The only down point was the location, not close to the sea (3km) but we were well informed about this item, and had our motorbike waiting when we arrived, issue solved. Motorbikes are the way to get around Bali anyway.

Fantastic stay, can recommend to any honeymooner and people seeking for peace and tranquility.

Room Tip: All Villa's are the same from what we guessed. But when staying next to a family with kids, thei...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dutchwriter
Gustra D, Director of Sales at Villa Kayu Raja, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Thank you sir for the comment... we look forward to serve you & colleagues again in the near future. Have a great day!

Rgds/Gustra
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed at Villa Kayu Raja for 8 nights last week and had our best hotel experience ever. After reading other reviews I was worried about some things such as the cleanliness of the pool, the location and the breakfast but the villas exceeded our expectations by far in all areas.
We were in villa 16, which was a one bedroom with rooftop massage tables. The air conditioner in the bedroom level worked like a dream and kept us nice and cool. The room was serviced everyday - when we stayed in bed all morning they routinely made up the villa when we went out in the afternoon and ensured the mini bar was fully stocked every evening. The pool was clean and plenty of towels and toiletries provided.
Rita at the front desk was lovely and took very good care of us. We borrowed a lap top a couple of times for the reasonable price of $10 for a full day including net usage. We were also worried about security being our first time in Bali. The in room safe put our mind at ease and allowed us to set our own pin number.
Another reviewer complained about the breakfast included but after experiencing it I can't be sure how. If this isn't enough for you then I don't know what you would be expecting: omlette bar, waffles, fresh fruit, cereals, juice, milk, coffee, toast, pastries, porridge, and a rotating hot buffet usually consisting of 3 indonesian dishes, bacon, ham, sausages, eggs, baked beans and wedges or similar. Once more the staff were very attentive.
Some reviewers also said that the location was not the best. Most of the restaurants I was recommended were within a 10-15 minute walk either left or right and a taxi right into kuta will set you back around $4 if the traffic is not too bad. I am sure some days you will find it hard to leave the luxury (and air con) in the villa in any case :p
So, a big thank you to all the staff at Villa Kayu Raja. We can't wait to come back again!!

Room Tip: Lower numbers are closer to reception
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Breeanna W
Gustra D, Director of Sales at Villa Kayu Raja, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you guys...for stay with us during your holiday in Bali. Hopefully we can meet again in the future. Have a lovely day!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kerobokan
The Kunja Villas & Spa
The Seminyak Beach Resort & Spa
Alila Seminyak
Alila Seminyak
#23 of 144 in Seminyak

Been to Villa Kayu Raja? Share your experiences!