“HOME AWAY FROM HOME”
Review of Villa Layang Bulan

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kerobokan
Villa Layang Bulan
Ranked #16 of 118 Specialty Lodging in Kerobokan
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I have stayed at Villa Layang Bulan many times.Why do I keep going back there everytime? Simple.Because from my very first visit, I was made to feel like part of a family and made so very welcome and being a solo traveller I found that so comforting.Edwin has got to be one of the nicest and most sincere person I have ever met.Nothing is too much trouble and he always goes out of his way to ensure that guests are properly taken care of and any issues that may arise are dealt with promptly.
I have read some negative reviews about Villa Layang Bulan on Trip Advisor and I would disagree with many of them.
Since the last time I was there Edwin has spent a lot of money upgrading the Villa and this is still ongoing as these things always take time.
The road to the Villa (Gang Daksina) has recently been resurfaced/paved and there are now two accesses to the Villa from the main road Jalan Batu Belig.
Jalan Batu Belig has emerged as a thoroughfare for many attractions/businesses that are in very close proximity to Villa Layang Bulan.These include many diverse restaurants (Cucina Rustica,Bow,Warang Sobat,Naughty Nuri, Ethnics and Pavillion to name a few.
Also handy to the Villa are ATM's/Money Changers/Post Office/24 Hour Mini Marts/Spas/Shops.
Villa Layang Bulan is a short stroll to Jalan Batu Belig,Gay beaches,Potato Head,W Hotel,warung Cantina(on the beach) etc.
Since I was last at the Villa the interior of the Villa has been repainted and upgraded and Edwin is in the process of having upgrading rooms,swimming pool,gardens etc.
I congratulate Edwin on his continuous efforts to ensure that each guests stay is a truly memorable one.Many of the guys I have spoken to have said they would come and stay at Villa Layang Bulan again.They hace commented to me how different it is from other Villas and how warm and inviting Edwin is.I feel more than just a guest at his Villa.I feel like someone special.
So once again WELL DONE EDWIN and I sincerely hope that your Villa goes from strength to strength and will continue to attract guys from all over the globe.
Although it may be smaller than some of the other Villas, there's none that would compare to the individual attention and care given to each and every guest by Edwin and his friendly staff Nyomen,Made,Ketut and Wayan.
I would certainly recommend Villa Layang Bulan to anyone wanting to have a memorable stay in Bali.

Wil Matrenza, Rockingham

Room Tip: I always stay in the Cangu Room.It's spacious, has ensuite,and is more secluded and quieter.Also...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
8  Thank wil6

Reviewed June 19, 2013

The gay friendly villa is run by Edwin and his team. I had a nice poolside room. (Some of the others looked a bit small.) The villa's reception area was being redecorated when I was there.
There was a mix of guests from around the world of all ages. All were friendly.
You can easily walk to Kereboken beach from the villa and there are some restaurants nearby too-- including naughty nori.
If you want to go to Semanyak or the bars you will need to use the villa car or get a taxi- but its easy to do.
It's not 5 star luxury but good value, pleasant rooms and nice mix of guys.

Room Tip: Go for a poolside room if you can-- but they are much in demand
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank daviddocklands
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I was staying there in March, with one of my friend, we stayed there for two nights on Nyepi ( day of silence ) we booked the twin bed ... everything was fine, the staffs ( Nyoman and Made ) were friendly, they prepare a good breakfast and also lunch and dinner as included on the Nyepi package.

Then I stayed there again on April 2013. I booked the Legian double-bedded room directly from Edwin, the owner and he gave me a very good rate as repeater.

the room was fine, but we had a bit problem on the toilet at that time.
the pool is small, but quite nice enough. The spa therapist are not available on both of my visit.

but overall... everything is good and if you looking for an accommodation where you can feel like home, meet some other travelers and new friends, this place is a good place to stay, and the rate is very affordable.

Cheers
Rio Infriya Yuana

Room Tip: the dormitory rooms are available for budget traveler, they also have twin bedded room with share ba...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Rio-Infriya-YUANA
Balinyoman, Owner at Villa Layang Bulan, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2013

Firstly, we must thank Rio for his nice review about our friendly and cozy guest house.

We regret to hear that Rio encountered some problem with the flush in the toilet. My staff are very professional. They had not allowed this problem to persist and had it fixed immediately so that he could enjoy his stay.

Our massage therapists are supplied by a licensed spa near us. Services are available from 10am to 10pm. As long as bookings are made early, we would have no problem in providing any spa treatment listed on our website. Rio has probably made his booking late when all the massuers had been booked.

Even, if our contract massuers are fully booked, there are plenty of other options around. Our venue is easily accessible to many gay-owned spas by feet or a short drive from us. These include Adam's Apple (5 mins walk from us), Omei (15 mins walk or 5 minutes drive) Made Massage (near Warung Cantina and W Hotel - 10 miutes walk from us, Antique Spa (10 mins drive), M Spa (10 mins walk or 5 minutes drive) and etc

Our swimming pool is not Olympic size because we are a small guest house. But it is certainly much bigger than the pool of guest houses' of our size.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

If you are looking for a villa mansion where you can easily befriend fellow guests, look no further than Villa Layang Bulan.

While there are nicer male-only clothing-optional villas such as Villa Angelo, Spartacvs and Laki Uma, this villa has more friendly ambiance, probably due to the lower price range and choice of different room types; from the standard room with ensuite bathroom to 2-3 bed dormitories with shared bathroom. The result is you often get long stay or repeat guests who can offer useful travel advice and lovely chats as well as younger, single travellers who have interesting life prospective.

The villa also offers cost sharing tours with interested guests and cheap minibar or in house beverages that sometimes eliminates the need to leave the villa altogether.

Since my last stay in October, the road and surrounding area of the Villa has continued to improve a lot. The Jalan Batu Belig and the adjascent Jalan Petitenget has some of the best restaurants and warung in Kerobokan such as Metis, Naughty Nuri, Warung Cobek, Sardine and Jemme, all within walking distance or a short ride from the villa. If the villa vehicle is free, you can ask for reservation and a drop off in any of these places. This is quite an important factor now that traffic in Seminyak, Legian and Jimbaran can be a nightmare even if you are riding a motorbike or out of rush hours.

There is continuous hotel development along the Batu Belig beach (5 minutes walk) which may help to clean up the otherwise rubbish ridden beach pavement and wild bushes. Potato head, Café Cantina and W hotel which welcomes day guests are around another 5 minutes walk left of Batu Belig beach entrance.

While I still have gripes about the maintenance of the rooms and presence of mosquitoes even in day time (lack of fogging),the ambiance of homely set up and friendly guests trumps the minor annoyances.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank AlexMcca
Balinyoman, Owner at Villa Layang Bulan, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Due to the high humidity in Bali, our rooms and public areas are repainted every 6 months. Thus, our villa always looks new.

The furniture (most of them), linen, air conditioners, central water heater and tv sets are pretty new.

We are changing the pool tiles the next low season. This project requires 21 days for drainage, the new tiles to dry and refilling the pool with water.

To most guests and visitors, Villa Layang Bulan is a nice-looking guest house with a well-maintained Balinese garden. To some people, other gay hotels might be nicer because they are modern looking. We are not into the modernity. Our design is of Dutch colonial and Balinese heritage. As owner, I personally love the way my villa looks - so are many of my regular guests from Germany, UK, France, Holland, Australia, New Zealand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, USA and Canada who stay with us annually.

There are rarely mosquitos during the day - in fact none. In the night, we do get mosquitos at certain time of the year. But this has become rare nowadays because the lane leading to our villa has been beautifully surfaced. There are no more pot holes or dented areas on the lane which could hold water that breed mosquitos. Many villa constructions near us have also completed or near completion. Some of these construction sites could have been mosquito breeding ground. Along the newly surfaced road and lane, the upgrading of the drainage system in Kerobokan, Kura, Legian, Seminyak and Canngu areas has also completed. The upgrading started middle of last year. It has completed in our barrio or the barrios near us. All these factors could have contributed to the improvement in our enviroment lately.

Even when we had mosquitos during certain season in the past, all we need to do was to switch on the fan in the verandahs by the pool, where most of us (guests and owner) would sit, drink, dine and chat during the evening. To keep the rooms mosquito-free, we only need to keep our door and window shut during the night. This guest who commented about mosquitos must have left his bedroom door ajar.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

hotel is a bit out of seminyak in a quite area, but in walking distance to the gay beach.
very friendly stuff and attentive owners trying to advise you whereever you need help.
we are going back in may.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Klaus N
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I'd wanted to stay in gay accommodation in Bali, but all of the "boutique hotels" and villas I found were overly fancy and expensive. Thank goodness for Villa Layang Bulan, which offers upscale accommodation in a gay/clothing optional environment for a reasonable price.

The villa includes a warm but refreshing swimming pool, with lounge chairs and a little pondok/hut. The breakfast is simple but delicious, and the staff are very friendly and attentive. Edwin, the owner, was absent while I was there, but his "deputy" was very friendly and helpful, patiently explaining the villa's facilities and the surrounding restaurants and amenities in Batu Belig.

That is something to note: you are located just outside Seminyak, in the up-and-coming area of Batu Belig. It's not so far from Seminyak, but you'll either need to take taxis, take advantage of the villa's drop-offs into town, or rent a bike (available from the villa, but be sure you have an International Driver's Licence! Or you'll be paying "fines" to the local traffic police).

At the end of the street is Batu Belig beach, which has a couple of "pop-up"-style restaurants, but it is not developed like Kuta beach or the beaches in Seminyak (which is both good and bad). You won't have hawkers bothering you every 10 minutes, but there's no lifeguard and swimming there is not recommended (riptides). The sunsets there can be gorgeous.

It can be a little difficult to find, so make clear to your driver that you're going to Jalan Batu Belig near Seminyak, Gang Daksina, and maybe have a Google maps printout. There isn't any signage from the road...

Overall, highly recommended!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cyrc_84
Reviewed January 12, 2013

I have been a repeat guest at Villa Layang Bulan for a long time now and each time it feels like coming back home. Edwin, the owner, and his staff are friendly and really helpful people.
The Villa is well-equiped (swimming-pool, wifi in all rooms, AC in all rooms, even the least expensive ones). Most of the time I stay in the Kuta room, downstairs by the pool, but I have also tried Seminyac and Canggu, all of them with private bathroom, all of them offering excellent quality / price ratio. I heard that the dorm rooms - shared accomodation and bathroom - have been renovated and upgraded recently.
If you need anything or are not satisfied with anything just go to Edwin or staff and they will do their best to fix it. Oh, by the way, you can also have lunch or dinner at the Villa and Edwin is an excellent cook.
Villa Layang Bulan provides tours through the island at very reasonable prices. You can also hire a masseur through them. Whenever they have a car at hand, you will get free transfer to the Seminyak area. I also like the daily shuttle to the gay bars area around 22.30 (free of charge).
Not forgetting the friendly atmosphere at the outside lounge by the pool where you will always find another guest to talk to if you feel lonely. Just be careful after nightfall, do not forget to turn the fans on to get rid of mosquitoes.
Just try and see by yourself... very few people I met there were disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo