“Disappointing”
Review of Cafe Degan

Cafe Degan
Ranked #39 of 200 Restaurants in Kerobokan
Cuisines: Indonesian, Thai
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Set in a traditional Javanese joglo house, Café Degan brings to Bali's dining scene a selection of popular Indonesian specialties, and a carefully chosen assortment of Thai favorites, in a sophisticated yet warm and welcoming ambience.
New South Wales, Australia
“Disappointing”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

After researching the area we were to stay in this café came up as one to try. It had some good reviews, and was even given a good write up from the 'Bali Eats' restaurant guide. We must have a different palate to other reviewers, or they had been sampling the local magic mushrooms or something.
The café has some good ambience, and you could see that it had some good refurbishments - as well as adding a pastry and coffee shop attached. I have been travelling overseas for 40+ years, and whilst I expect there to be some differences from what I can get in Oz, to what you get when in "Rome" - this was just not in the ballpark for me, even allowing for cultural differences. I have had the Balinese duck with chilli and spices on a previous trip (and that was to die for), so was looking forward, to sampling another duck dish which I hope was going to be similar. Maybe I'm a traditionalist or a purist, because I reckon the hero of the dish has to be the flavour of the meat, highlighted by the infusion of the spices and condiments - unfortunately, all I could taste was red chilli, mixed with a smattering of bony tasteless meat which was supposed to be duck. Even the Gor Hor Bai Toey (marinated chicken in pandanus leaves) was dry and unappetising. This was just not what we expected, and was probably (to us), the worst meal that we have experienced in Bali (this was our third trip to the island).

• Visited January 2014

• Indonesian first
Bali
“Average”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

The few Thai dishes they serve are actually pretty tasty. The papaya salad, chicken with basil and green curry are not bad at all. Dessert is a bit of a mixed bag. They have a red velvet cake, but beware -- it's got rum! It would've been nice for the server to warn diner that the pastry chef decided to put alcohol in their version of this cake. Service is well-meaning, but falls short. When server sees empty plate, the question asked is 'Are you finished?' I mean, there's nothing else to eat on the plate, why ask that phrase?

• Visited January 2014
“Amazing Indonesian food! ”
Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

Firstly - incredible service. (They even put our sleeping toddler in a day bed near us and tucked her in all nicely with a bunch of pillows while we ate dinner like we were on a first date! We were so happy!) The food was delicious! Full of flavour. Really great Indonesian cuisine. And the decor is warm, charming and inviting. We will come back here every time we visit Bali. Thankyou to the staff again for being so lovely.

1 Thank Sharna M
“Absolutely great place”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

I already went to this place a few times and every time it was just amazing. One of the best thai food you can find in this area and also the indonesian food is so great. The staff is extremely friendly and after the second visit they even recognized me and called me by my name. You will never find something like that in europe :) Compared to other good restaurants in this area the prices are really competitive. Definitely a place to recommend.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank canineLord
Perth, Australia
“Dinner in Kerobokan”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Cafe Degan a little over rated. Reasonable quality meal, very small portions when you subtract the large quantity of rice. We bought a pack of sweets at the attached bakery and this cost more than our meal so beware. We have hd better value and suggest the UGGA cafe.

• Visited December 2013