“Worthy of its Reputation”
Review of Sardine

Sardine
Ranked #17 of 209 Restaurants in Kerobokan
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed June 13, 2014

A meal at Sardine was on our 'must do' list for this Bali visit. We were not disappointed. The service is smooth, very efficient and welcoming without being pushy. The extensive fusion style menu made choice a problem - it all sounded delicious.
Our entrees of mussel soup, tea infused salmon and soft shell crab; main meals of scallop ravioli, panache of seafood and seafood pasta were all that was promised. The drinks and wine list is very extensive although quite expensive.
It definitely maintains its reputation of one of 'the' places to go in Seminyak.

1  Thank Denise T
There are newer reviews for Sardine

Reviewed June 13, 2014

Came with a group and was a little concerned that only fish on menu. Started with scallops and duck to follow. Both excellent and beautiful restaurant. Word of advice, if you walk out back don't try and actually walk into the paddy fields, a friend did and got very muddy. LOL!

1  Thank Mike B
Reviewed June 13, 2014

On a recent trip to Bali my wife and I took a day trip out to Kerobokan to see the rice fields that we had visited many years before. To our surprise most have now disappeared and only a few small holdings exist in this area one local told us.
The 'Sardine Restaurant' was located just off the main road Jalan Petitengel in Kerokokan. When we walked into the grounds the traffic noise just seemed to melt away and the soft casual music of the restaurant took over and gave an overall relaxed feeling. The ceilings was quite high and the main structure was made from bamboo of different sizes giving the room a really nice feel. The restaurant side walls are open but have water proof blinds fitted in the event of rain.

When making our booking some months prior we requested a seat facing the rice fields and we were delighted with the position and view. (It is best to book and reserve a spot to avoid disappointment as the restaurant is very popular with tourist and you could be seated at the front of the restaurant, still nice but no rice field view).
As we were early we walked around the rice fields which we later discovered are harvested 3 times a year and the rice given to an orphanage which we thought was a great gesture from the owners and when the next crop is planted after harvesting the owners employ Balinese workers to replant the new crop and guests attending the restaurant can participate in the planting if they want to.
Once seated we were brought cold water, some ice (enough to sink the Titanic which was great as it melts so quick in the heat) and a drinks menu, which we both had this really nice lemon and ginger drink and found it to be very refreshing.

We made our selections from the menu and the food took about 30 minutes to arrive, this time delay might upset some people but remember here the food is prepared fresh for you while you enjoy a drink making the overall experience a delight, A far better outcome than the food being left in a warming dish to dry out and be warmed in a microwave when you order.

The food was delicious, not to spicy in fact just right for us, and the sweets were just great. During our time here the staff were most attentive and constantly filled our glasses with ice cold drinking water,
The staff we really good and the service we felt was better than a restaurant we had visited the previous day in Nusa Dua. We had a brief conversation with one of the owners a young Canadian lady for a while who gave us the history of the restaurant and talked about how the restaurant was designed by her Mother an artist who wanted to keep the traditional Balinese feel. The restrooms were clean and modern which can be a problem in some parts of Bali.
Overall a great experience and would definitely be a place to visit on your holiday. The restaurant is fine dining, the meals are not overly expensive and good value for the prices, , I would check about non smoking areas before you confirm a booking as they do not only cater for smokers.

Reviewed June 12, 2014 via mobile

My most most most favourite place to have lunch and dinner in Bali. The ambience is always nice, food are decent although sashimi and tartar can be a bit colder if possible. Scallops are amazing, Vietnamese salad is omg good... But one thing and one thing only. I come here a lot and make a booking over the phone a lot, and today I came for lunch... Called sardine and the same girl who work there and always pick up the phone for maybe a couple of year I've noticed answered my phone call... I am surprised nobody ever made a complain... She's always rude to me, is it because I'm a local? And I talk to her in Indonesian? So I came and have lunch. I notice her picking up the phone for reservations.. And realised that when the called is westerners she sounds way nicer when the caller is Indonesian. This is a major issue for me. I don't know if she's very uneducated or what... But I think it is very dodgy to have an employee who behave like that... I never been served badly by the westerners who greet me in sardine.. They are always pleasant... So, this Rini girl or whoever her name is... Maybe retrain her or find someone that's actually qualified for making local customers feel comfortable.. Because my parents stop coming to sardine because of this reservation girl always being rude to them... And no, we won't pretend to speak English just for her to be nice.

1  Thank Litaispleased2meetyo
Reviewed June 12, 2014 via mobile

Very over priced food for very average food only. The view was not even that fantastic as claimed by some. I think what you are really paying for is the "view" which is heavily factored into the cost of your food. I will never revisit again.