WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Sarong Restaurant

Sarong Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 185 Restaurants in Kerobokan
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Thai, Indonesian, Sri Lankan
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“One word........AMAZING”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

We were recommended to try Sarong by a number of friends and regardess of what time we got in for we didnt care, we wanted to try it! From the setting to the service, food and cocktails everything is absolutely exquisite. There were so many things on the menu that we wanted to try, all sounded beautiful. The duck and the Pork belly definately a goer. The unfortunate thing is that we couldnt fit in dessert, as we felt like we had to roll out of the restaurant - in a good way. For the price we paid, definately well worth it as it was my best overall experience in Seminyak.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Love this restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

I went to this resto with my girlfriend, and i love this resto.
I love their pork bely, they cooked very good.
The ambience was good, the staff also friendly and helfull.
The orice, little bit expensive, but its worth.

1 Thank Agung I
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Best restaurant for dinner in Kerobokan area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

Sister restaurant of Mamasan in Seminyak. Food is almost the same with a bit of variety on the drink list. Fusion food of Thai Vietnamese taste with the best cocktail drink, and desserts. Must reserved in order to get seats inside, otherwise they will put you on the garden bench with a bit of mosquitoes at night. Parking space is better than Mamasan area. Not a place for families with children under 12, unless your kids already used to eat variety of taste and spice in the foods.

Sydney, Australia
“Nice, but not brilliant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

Suggest you don't have the set menu- it is limited and largely boring. Tastes ok though.

Ask not to be seated near the kitchen- it is a very hot zone and really noisy as the waiters pickup orders, have a chat, joke etc. It's like eating in a food hall... just much more expensive. Other areas of the restaurant are quieter.

The wine list is limited- wine is very expensive in Indonesia, but the cocktails are ok.

Ignore the website about the dress code... consider wearing shorts and a loose top as this restaurant is hotter than hades.

Perhaps don't ignore the website re kids... Kids likely wont enjoy this place and they will bored (there is no wifi)

Oh and don't worry about smoking zones... As we were receiving our mains, a male restaurant manager directed two Aussie girls to smoke right beside our table ... in the non smoking area. He even gave them an ashtray! Keystone cops moment

The kitchen is quick, with mains following rapidly after entrées. So if you're after a leisurely meal you might want to ask them not to rush you. The waiters are very nice and helpful.

Melbourne, Australia
“A-Mazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

I am no foodie so I am not going to pretend I am a critic, I just know that I enjoy new things so when a friend told me to check out Sarong when I when I was in Bali I figured why not.
From the outside, it doesn't look like much but when you walk in it's a pretty amazing place. Whilst it is under a roof it is an open air restaurant so it can get a get a little sticky and hot but like Bali as a whole you kind of ignore the humidity and just deal with it.
I ate the snapper and friends had the duck and chicken korma, along with some sharing plates and we all enjoyed each dish. We love spicy food so there was no complaints but if you are not a lover of spicy food I am not sure there would be a great selection on the menu for you to choose.
The price is on the higher side for Bali however still cheap (by Melbourne price standards) for a great meal that filled my tummy and left me feeling satisfied.
Recommend people to try it, just make sure you book in advance.