“Mt. Batur Sunrise Hike - Difficult, Beautiful”

Mudi Goes To The Mountain
Ranked #16 of 52 Tours in Karangasem
New York City, New York
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Mt. Batur Sunrise Hike - Difficult, Beautiful”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2014

My father and I did the Mt. Batur sunrise hike with Mr. Mudi and his team in July and had a wonderful, if extremely difficult experience. A few points of reflection:

The hike is very very difficult. You have to be fit. My dad and I are moderately fit and it was a struggle for us. Three members of our group fell down and suffered minor cuts and bruising (I'm a klutz; it was a given that I would fall at some point). Fortunately, Mudi and his team had first aid kits to treat us. We heard that another hiker, in an unrelated group, broke his back on the day of our hike.

Mr. Mudi is AMAZING. Unlike other guides he takes small groups (ours was 6 adults and a 6 mo. old baby!), hires multiple guides (3 guides for us) and will help you make the hike at your own pace (for my dad and I: very slowly). Many of the other groups we saw had 1 guide to 10 or more clients. Because my dad and I were slow, rather than leaving us behind, Mr. Mudi personally guided my dad and I at a pace we could handle. I saw some other guides simply abandon weaker teammates behind to struggle along alone.

Mudi also includes a lot of extras in his trip: you hike down the back of the mountain rather than the front (which you hike up). This gives you a change in scenery and is a longer and safer route. At the end of the hike, Mr. Mudi's three cars were waiting for us with cold drinks and cold towels. Finally, Mr. Mudi will equip you with headlamps, hiking poles and a jacket, if needed. We saw other people struggling in shorts and flip flops and holding flashlights....you will definitely need both hands to climb certain points!

Mr. Mudi is a born guide and extremely professional in his conduct to his clients and his approach to climbing. Don't hesitate to book with him.

Visited July 2014
2 Thank Icey6606

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Climbing mount Agung (tallest mountain in Bali) ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

We climbed Mount Agung with the guide Madido (sp?). The climb takes place overnight and is very challenging. We almost gave up a few times but made it up in 6 hrs.
Madido was not a very good English speaker so we did not get a lot of explanations and history of the mountain. However he was extremely attentive and patient with us. He also loved taking pictures so we got lots of pictures of ourselves on the mountain.
The company arranged to pick us up from our hotel and drove us back. They also arrange for a buffet lunch after the climb. Overall a very good experience.

South East London
164 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 164 helpful votes
“Excellent service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014

Mudi put a tailor-made tour together for us and was prepared to change plans and adapt to us at short notice. The elephant safari was not on the agenda for our day but when we saw the turning to this he said we could make a detour. The experience was really good and most enjoyable but because of this we were very late and could not fit in the last highlight of our day which was a visit to Tenganan. So, Mudi took us there the following day and refused to take any extra payment for his time. The whole tour was well panned and thought out with scrupulous planning.
We also did a spiritual tour with Mudi's younger brother which was again excellent and well planned.
Would thoroughly recommend this company for tours in Bali.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Stephanie058
Sydney, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Trekking with style”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2014

I booked a sunrise trek up Mt Batur with Mudi after reading the glowing reviews. My son (13) and I were so impressed with Mudi, Wayan our other guide, and the level of professionalism and little luxuries Mudi adds to the day. We climbed and enjoyed a wonderful breakfast of volcano cooked eggs, pastries and fresh fruit, tea and coffee. Mudi gave us such a great insight into the geology and religious aspects of the mountain and was helpful funny and generous with his time including taking hilarious set up photos for us. Mudi had cold towels and drinks waiting at the car and it was off to the hot springs, with fresh towels provided and then onto a great lunch. I can't recommend Mudi highly enough and if you're considering any trekking in Bali then he's your guy.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank 20Colin35
Bangkok
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 273 helpful votes
“Great Mt. Batur climb, challenging with small kids”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

When looking for someone to get us up Mt Batur, Mudi was recommended to us by two different people. As he was the only guide recommended, we went with him - and are very happy to have done so. The Batur sunrise hike starts early - you have to start the climb around 4:00 in the morn, so Mudi picked us up at our hotel at 2:30, on time, with a lovely Land Rover. We were climbing with four young boys, ages 6 to 9, so he arranged to have two additional guides. Thankfully all were experienced climbers, as Batur turned out to be a more challenging than I expected - and our kids would not have made it up without them. Note, this is not a simple hike.

Mudi was more expensive than other guides, but without his truck, which got us up to the base over some rough terrain, and without his and the other guides' help, we would not have made it - this is not a trek for young kids without assistance. If you are a fit young backpacker, then go with someone cheaper - you can get a guide right at the base camp area, at a fraction of Mudi's cost. But if you are in circumstances like us - or just want to have some increased security, Mudi is great. A lovely guy, and the soak in the hot tubs at the end was wonderful.

Visited February 2014