“À must when visiting Bali!”

Bali Asli Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 122 Restaurants in Karangasem
Cuisines: Indonesian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Bali Asli is located in Gelumpang village, near the town of Amlapura, the capital of Karangasem regency, in the North East of Bali. About 2 hours drive from the airport, and 30 minutes from Candidasa village, and 30 minutes from Amed village. Nestled in the foot hills of Mount Agung, Bali's most sacred mountain, surrounded by rice fields, there is not a building to be seen. Bali Asli promotes Balinese cuisine and culture without exploiting it or it's people. We embrace our community, supporting those who fish, farm and forage in the near by fields, ocean and jungle. Our menu offers authentic Balinese food using a traditional Balinese style kitchen, cooking on wood-fired, mud brick stoves, allowing the real flavours of Bali to shine. Most of our ingredients are either grown in our garden, in our neighbour's garden or purchased from the local market The cooking school runs unique classes themed on "a day in the life of..." every class includes an adventure into local areas off the beaten track. Weather it is learning how to plant rice or plough with a cow, fishing in a jukung canoe and cooking on an open fire or making cocktails from cashew nut wine, our students always leave with fond memories and new skills to experiment with when they get home.
Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

What à beautifull place! À true pièce of heaven! The view, the food, the toilets (and they need to be mentioned just go see for yourselfs)everything is perfect! They give cookingclasses aswell! If there is anything you want to do in Bali, this is it! One small minus they are only open untill 6 pm! But à perfect lunchspot is always Nice to have!

There are newer reviews for Bali Asli Restaurant

Reviewed August 23, 2013

We took Penny Williams cooking class (as a first) over a year ago, and after just taking one today in Positano, Italy I realize that the class at Bali Asli set the standard. It was a combination of cultural exporation, ,along with food prep, both technique and culture and flavors. I will never forget it. The very best, with outstanding value. If you are interested in learning to cook with other non-western flavors, and learning nuances of spices, take this one.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Lunch at Bali Asli was worth the two-hour drive from Seminyak. Perched on a hillside, the restaurant looks down on rice paddies and a temple in the valley below. The staff are passionate about the food and explain the dishes and ingredients. The food was beautifully served and tasted delicious. There are many good restaurants in Bali, but Bali Asli is unique in serving authentic and freshly prepared Balinese food.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

My friend and I visited Bali Asli last week for the 'day in the life of a fisherman' experience and cooking course. The cooking course in the afternoon was exceptional and far exceeded my expectations. The staff were friendly, professional and knowledgeable and small touches like the welcome drink, tea, and samples of jack fruit and local desserts were all a nice additional touch. The staff bent over backwards to make the experience special offering to take pictures and looking after us all the time. The venue benefits from an outstanding view and cannot be faulted.
Unfortunately the first part of the day i.e. the morning trip out on a boat for a fishing experience was a bit of a let down. The guide spoke fairly good english and was friendly enough but was not forthcoming in sharing any local knowledge with us. We went out on the fishing boat but he did not explain anything about local fishing customs, how the fisherman live, what they catch etc so it was just a boat trip really. On the drive there and back the guide spent the whole time talking in Indonesian to the driver when it would have been nice if he had made some effort to interact with his guests.
I would definitely return to Bali Asli for lunch and would highly recommend the cooking course but would not recommend the 'day in the life of the fisherman' experience.

2  Thank Mel_redpirates
BaliAslirestaurant, Owner at Bali Asli Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Dear Mel_redpirates,
Thank you for your review on your Bali Asli culinary experience. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your selves during the cooking class.
I also appreciate that you passed on information about the fishing trip, as it is very important for me to understand my guests perceptions and expectations.
You can be assured that I will address the problem that you encountered and use your feed back to make our fishing adventure more interesting and enjoyable in the future.
warm regards,
Penelope Williams

Reviewed August 14, 2013

I had an opportunity to meet and sample the wonderful food prepared by Penelope and her great team at Bali Asli. Uniquely presented, I sampled a wide range of starters and mains, i enjoyed all. I also had a Snakefruit drink that was delish. Staff were very friendly, the view great. I was most impressed by the knowledge of the food Penelope shared with me. She has a cooking school also and you get to see the real Bali with her then undertake the recipes.
I highly recommend her restaurant.