“Wonderful villa, food and service”
Review of Villa Flow

Villa Flow
Ottawa, Canada
“Wonderful villa, food and service”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

After a long and bumpy car trip from southern Bali, our arrival at Villa Flow was welcome relief. The property is like a hidden jewel, smack in the middle of a small village in rural east Bali. The villa is breathtaking on first arrival - set on a hillside with views of the ocean in the distance, with lovely gardens where they grow their own food organically. The property is new, nothing about it the least bit run down. The pool is beautiful. The buildings and furnishings are tasteful in their design and in keeping with Balinese sensibilities.

The menu, if spartan, is updated every day and consists of organic ingredients, some sourced from the villa property. Our family felt very nourished eating at Villa Flow. No chicken nuggets here!

The property owners were friendly and approachable. They had great suggestions for local activities. The villa has arrangements with local drivers which we took advantage of. There are lots of things to do nearby - snorkling, visits to temples and water palaces, markets, trekking and so forth.

Room Tip: While our visit was great and was what we were looking for, families should know that this villa is...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank STMK0729

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Reviewed July 1, 2012

We are used to stay in low- and mid-priced accommodation but we ended up at Villa Flow. What a fantastic place! When you get there, you'll be overwhealmed with relaxation everywhere you look and go. The staff are amazingly friendly, the views are spectacular, the food is mindboggling and the rooms are beautifully decorated and unbelieveably comfortable. We had a massage, which will only add to your maximized experience. This is the place that you want to visit when you get to Bali. We've seen many places, but this one is high end quality and if we'd had the chance we'd still be thanking everyone there for their kindness. We felt like kings at Villa Flow and we only have two words for you: go there!

R and R

• Stayed June 2012
sonoma, ca
Reviewed June 15, 2012

We chose Villa Flow because we were taking a cooking class at Bali Asli and Penny had it on her recommended places to stay list. We checked the reviews on Tripadvisor and they were all good, so we decided to give it a try.
Villa Flow is in a great location if you want to experience the people and culture of Bali. You will be able to observe the lovely Balinese in their everyday life in the village and surrounding countryside. It is the complete opposite of what you will experience in the South.
Serge and Inge are wonderful hosts...laid back, but attentive. The organic food is the purest and most delicious you will ever eat....each meal a delight to all of the senses. The rooms are simple but comfortable with great views. The staff is delightful and felt like family after a day or two.
Eat here, but be sure not to miss a meal or cooking class at Bali Asli as well.
Make sure you book their signature massage at the beginning of your stay....you will want to indulge more than once....
Thanks Serge and Inge for such a wonderful experience and introduction to Bali....we hope to see you again soon.

Room Tip: We stayed in room with a view, but looked at the Coconut House and all are lovely
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 4, 2012

I stayed at Villa Flow for 3 nights and everything was fantastic. You really feel like you are a guest at Serge and Inge's home, which is truly the most lovely place I have ever stayed. My "room with a view" was perfect. It was removed enough from the main house that I felt that I had adequate privacy and could take my meals on my own balcony/ porch that looked over the gardens and to the sea. And because they only rent out a few rooms (either the "rooms with a view" or the coconut house, which is below Serge and Inge's house), you really feel taken care of and can also enjoy the beautiful property/ relax. Whenever I chose to enjoy the infinity pool, I was the only one around. I also need to mention the food. It was incredible! I looked forward to every meal.
The location itself is also fantastic. I took a walk to the water palace one afternoon and another afternoon Serge had one of the locals drive me to the white sand beach and a beautiful lunch spot overlooking rice paddy fields as far as the horizon. In East Bali you really get a sense of what Bali is like because it is not full of tourists.
Serge's go-to driver, Wayan, was awesome. He even drove all the way down to Ubud after I'd moved locations to pick me up and take me to the airport for my flight home. The staff on property were equally warm and friendly.
In summary, I haven't felt that relaxed in a very long time. Serge and Inge were available to help as much as I needed them to (setting up rides/ massages) and hands-off enough that I could be on my own schedule and enjoy their beautiful home as I liked.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 28, 2012 via mobile

I spent 3 days there and everything was just perfect. The place is far away from the crowded Kuta area and you could see the real Bali. I did have a very relaxing and pleasant stay. One more point to add: they have got a really good chef. I enjoyed every single dish I had there!

• Stayed November 2011
Geneva
Reviewed April 28, 2012

A friendly couple with kids are warmly welcoming you to their fantastic place. Organic food, amazing massage, very good yoga teacher. A very good set up for this villa from which you have fantastic surroundings. We went for a long walk that took us through the rice fields and the water palace at Tritagangga with a very friendly guide. We felt in love with the area and the water palace at Ujung is definitely worth to visit. I would recommend it over the one in Tritagangga.
The couple who runs the villa are very inspiring and are totally involved in the local community development. If you go to the Villa not only you will spend an amazing time but you'll also indirectly benefit to the local people as part of the villa fees are given to the local schools.
One of the only little negative point is probably the fact that there is no door separating the bathroom/toilet from the bedroom.
Overall, we fully enjoyed our few days there.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Alkmaar, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Refreshing place after staying in Seminyak for the first couple of days. For those who planning to only do Ubud and Seminyak, get East Bali / Villa Flow on the schedule. It’s quite a distance to get there (2hrs from Seminyak), and there are no signs (the owners are not looking for walk-in guests), so depending on your driver it could take you a while to get there, but once there you will not regret it! Great food, friendly staff, wonderful views and helpful owners.Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Karangasem
Puri Bagus Candidasa
Bayshore Villas Candi Dasa
Bayshore Villas Candi Dasa
#5 of 20 in Candidasa
Rama Candidasa Resort & Spa

Been to Villa Flow? Share your experiences!