“Fabulous Food”

Villa Flow
Taipei, Taiwan
“Fabulous Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2012

This is a tough review to write. I think Villa Flow is a marvelous place, although it didn't work out for my family. We are generally very picky, non-healthy eaters. The food served at Villa Flow is very healthy. For me personally it was some of the best food I have eaten in my entire life and I would go back just for the food. However, my kids wouldn't eat anything they were served, and so we had to leave after 1 day.

We watched staff climb a coconut tree and cut down coconuts. They cut one open and gave to the children and me to try. They also cut open the top of a 2nd coconut, cut a hole in it and gave it to us with 2 straws so that we could drink the milk. How wonderful was that? Amazing. Sadly, my kids didn't like it at all. It was too far out of their comfort zone. My apologies to Serge and Inga as well as their staff.

We stayed in The Coconut house. It's view to the ocean is beautiful. However, we were freaked out by the gigantic spider who wanted to spend the night with us. If I went back I would opt for one of the other rooms. I never saw inside of them, but they looked like they may be a little less welcoming to insects and lizards.

The pool is amazing. Beautifully laid out and, again, fabulous view toward the ocean.

One big negative which I don't think is reflective of my picky family was the noise level. I expected peace and solitude. However, Villa Flow is in the middle of real life Bali and, as such, it is surrounded by a lot of chickens. Very loud chickens. If they just crowed in the morning they would not have bothered me but, at least for the short time we were there, they crowed non stop all day long. The noise was too much for me and destroyed the peace I had expected to experience.

My opinion is varied. If you have kids I don't think this is the best place to stay. If you are a couple (or a single) who wants to enjoy some amazing Balinese food I would highly recommend staying here. If you will be out adventuring every day and returning for fabulous food and beautiful views in the evening, this will be a wonderful place. If you plan to spend quiet days reading by the pool I don't think this is your place.

The owners are lovely. I do not mean for this review to sound negative. It really is a lovely place and I cannot say enough times that the food was out-of-this-world great.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank LaHaug

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2011

Stayed at Villa Flow for 2 nights in November. The rooms and views are wonderful, and it's a great place to get away! While it is quite a distance from the hustle and bustle, there is plenty to do around, including White Sands Beach, and Rice Patty Treaking.
Also, the food is really good at Villa Flow, and I can't say enough wonderful things about the hosts, Inge and Serge!

Sabina

• Stayed November 2011
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2011

Hi
Just want to say thanks to Inga and & Serge (& family, including Bo!) for my time in VF. Was a really nice break...a little corner of paradise! food really good, swimming pool amazing - all in all a really cool break, well recommended.
Pol

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
KL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2011

Very relaxing weekend spent in a gorgeous setting. Food was great as was the massage

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Penang Island, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2011

I stayed at Villa Flow for 4 days 3 nights with my husband & a 5 years old son on Nov 14 - Nov 17. Here're my sharing:

1) Attentive host - Serge
One of the most significant thing (5 star hospitality): On our way back to airport, he even called to inform us about the airport condition as a lot of world leaders like Obama etc came for the ASEAN Summit. At the same time, to make sure the driver, Wayan dropped us earlier to avoid the congestion. Wayan is a very polite & reliable driver, he even apologised in advance for the need of speeding up his driving.

2) Superb view
Seeing is believing. Exactly like what you see on their official web site.

3) Fresh, healthy yet delicious food
We are from Penang, Malaysia which is famous for good food. But still I would say their vegetables curry and sweet tempeh are one of the best dishes that I ever have. Even better than Bali Asli who offer delicious authentic East Bali meal with a beautiful Mt. Agung & paddy field view. By the way, everyday the vegetables & fruits on our plate are freshly from Villa Flow own farm & vegetation.

4) Beautiful bale bengong
For my favorite daily yoga practice, & pampering body massage & facial treatment

5) Talented massage man - Pak Soenaria
Amazing! 2 thumbs up! Magic hands! Worth it! My husband & I really enjoyed it!

6) Friendly, helpful & honest staff
One thing very impressed me. The staff helped to give my husband, my son & I a ride to Seraya Shores for lunch with their motorbikes, we gave them tips but they refused to take.

7) My husband favorite mountain bike (complementary)
He did cycle to Water Palace, Pantai Jessi & Amlapura once. If not mistaken I guess return trip should be around 30-40km. A very enjoyable ride for him.
I did follow my husband to cycle around the Seraya village route which suggested by Serge. Whereas my son was watching cartoo movies with Serge's son. Wow! Very hilly & tired! But the scenery is so wonderful & fantastic! The village people are so warm & friendly!
When we went to Kebun Impian for lunch, the friendly Australian & Indonesian owner told us last night lthey have a cyclist gueats of family of five who're from Penang Malaysia too. Wow what a conincidence - in a remote, quiet, serene & peaceful Seraya village.

8) My son favorite swimming pool
Beautiful & overlooking the ocean

However, there will be always 2 sides of coins:
1) Expensive food & beverage compared to Penang, Malaysia. Not much restaurants to choose from.
2) Far location - 2 & half hours drive from the airport.
3) Transportation problem unless you hire a driver which is quite expensive for me. Next time if we come again, we will rent a car from the airport as the petrol is cheap and the car rental is reasonable and we can read the road sign as well.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Lee Hoon L
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

I stayed at Villa Flow for three nights after a week+ in Ubud. What a welcome and absolutely soul-soothing respite! Serge and Inge made me feel like part of the family. The rooms and grounds of Villa Flow are absolutely gorgeous. And the food - so wonderful! The menu has been lovingly created by Inge to be truly health-supportive. As a holistic health and nutrition coach, I couldn't have asked for more satisfying meals. I highly recommend a stay here if you're looking to get away from more touristy areas of Bali.

Room Tip: There are only two "Rooms with a View" available, both sleeping two people. Both are lovel...