“Cool rooms and cheap restaurant”

Strawberry Hill Hotel
Ranked #1 of 8 Baturiti B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 28, 2012

The hotel is located a short walk from Lake Bratan, but once you've seen that you need to hire a driver or have your own transport. It is a bit of walk (along a highway) to the nearest shops/eateries in Candikuning, though we managed it several times. If you catch the bus from the south, be sure to ask the driver to let you off early as it goes right past the hotel. We weren't smart enough to do this!
Luckily the hotel's own restaurant is tasty and cheap. They were always pleasant and quick too (just as well as we were often the only customers - the hotel was very quiet in April). We were very happy to eat there.
Being located on a busy road was not as much of an issue as I thought it might be - the rooms are very well insulated from noise.
The rooms and the gardens are just lovely.
A few gripes - the cover on the spare/ day bed had stains on it and needed a wash. The rooms were generally very clean, but some mould on the ceiling also removal.
There was very little information provided in the room on tours, transport, and it referred us to reception for more. The first time I asked, the man at the desk said he didn't know anything about it. Full stop. The next time someone different called a local guide for us. Unfortunately we had to negotiate it all ourselves and the starting price was ridiculous! Agreed on a more reasonable price eventually but Would have definitely preferred the hotel had some standing arrangements for common activities.
We stayed 3 nights - you probably need only 1. Definitely loved the trip to nearby Munduk - trekking and waterfalls. And the large rice terrace Jatiluwih, about 30 mins away, was impressive too.

• Stayed: April 2012
3  Thank Louisthe12

Reviewed April 18, 2012

Bedugul is very scenic with the temple on the lake,botanical gardens and a welcome reprieve of cool nights however apart from Munduk in the mountains behind ,which is worth a stop on the way for nice walks ,lunch and waterfalls,available accommodation is pretty ordinary.This small modern private bungalow complex ,although on main road,is a cosy,clean,comfortable stopover between Lovina and the South with welcoming staff and a really good restaurant ,with bar,dartboard,pool table ,featuring Gudeg Yogyakarta (best I've had),other interesting dishes and drinks including strawberry daiquiris.
The mountain mists can roll in late afternoon and when really cold they have a log fire in the restaurant.The soundproofing of the rooms is adequate and you are away from the mosques of central Bedegul.
Excellent breakfast in roombut better upstairs in restaurant with great views into the valleys with Mt. Agung clearly seen. Turn off not far away to Jatiluwih (Balis best rice terraces)and the fabulous temple of Batukau. A great find !!!!! .

Room Tip: Rooms furthest South and furthest West have best outlook and quietest. (25)
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank lombokjohn
Reviewed April 17, 2012

I was stayed there for 1 night for stop by before I went to Seminyak - Bali. I stay with my wife and 15 months baby. The Hotel is clean, good surrounding and quite good restaurants. This Hotel feel like home and the staff is very helpfull. When I want to left this hotel my car suddenly didn't want to start. that day is sunday and no service station open. One of the staff call his mechanic friend and in 5 minutes problem solved. :)
I plan to stay there again this year. Can't wait till then.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 14, 2012

Three of us stayed here in three different rooms. All happy with the small rooms. For the price they are good value. As previous posters have said there is no air con. I am an 'aircon must have' guest but you certainly don't need it here. Its more about snuggling under the covers at night. The thing with us is we weren't really prepared for just how cold and how 'mountainy' the area was. We arrived at about 3.30pm and soon it was shrouded with fog. We couldn't go out as you couldn't see two inches in front of you. The staff were generally fine but we were surprised to watch them playing pool while we were waitng to order. We even had to get up and walk past the pool players to go into the kitchen to order the next course. The hotel is next to a very noisy main road so you always hear noise. We actually cut our stay short and went on to Lovina due to the weather and the noise. So hotel fine - certainly very cheap -just location and weather issues.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Susie1611
Reviewed March 31, 2012

On a hill above Candikuning on Lake Bratan, a pretty group of individual cottage set in a lovely garden. Nicely appointed rooms with all the conveniences. Excellent restaurant on site. If you are without a car like we were you will need to walk down a steep, busy road to reach the town and its famous temple complex. Very reasonably priced.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank benbenton
Reviewed February 5, 2012

This a beautiful hotel. The nicest place I've stayed in Bali. Beautiful stone bathtubs, huge rooms, wonderful gardens. A great hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank trevadea
Reviewed January 18, 2012

I stayed again in this lovely hotel for 2 nights, about a year after my first stay, and it felt even better. I stayed at 3 different hotels in this holiday in Bali. And Strawberry was my best stay from all.
I made a phone booking, no complication at all. When I arrived, I was still impressed by the lovely garden. They have so many beautiful flowers. I traveled with a DSLR camera, and I think I could make hundreds of shots by just strolling around the garden.
Room was as just nice as last year. I went to hotel at Legian and I could feel that the hotel is degrading. But certainly not Strawberry Hill. They definitely know how to keep their hotel and garden really nice, clean, tidy and lovely.
I really love the marble bathtub. I used it every day after rubbing myself with Balinese traditional body scrub, which you can find pretty much everywhere in Bali with cheap price.
I love also how all the sheets and towels smelled good and fresh.
People were still as wonderful as before. The guy who took my reservation literally told me that he gave me the best room :) Although I think the room quality was exactly the same with
the other room I stayed last year, but the view from my balcony this time was really nice. I had a clear view to 2 mountain peaks and their back garden, except when the fogs came down. Sitting down at the balcony while sipping a cup of hot chocolate and eating some fried bananas was one of the moment I treasure.
I tried several different food from their restaurant. I could say their Fried Rice and Noodle Rice are average. But other food from the menu were really good. And everything was really fresh.
So I guess you could tell, I really love this hotel! Slept like a baby!

I do have one input to the management though. An input that I give because I love this hotel too much ^_^
The staffs seemed quite overloaded when the guests are quite many, or when the restaurant was quite full with guests. They forget little things here and there. Nothing that could ruin the whole experience, but would be nice if were able to be taken care well.
I was tempted to give 5 rating for this hotel. But I leave out so they would not satisfied with what they have right now and keep on improving.

I think the price has gone up since last year. But not so much. And I tell you, this hotel worth every single penny I spent on them.

I wish everybody at Strawberry Hill Hotel all the best!

Room Tip: Try finding a room at very back to get a clear view from the balcony. Or at least, the one at the to...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank oetjie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baturiti
Saren Indah Hotel
Munduk Moding Plantation
Balitrekk
Balitrekk
#1 of 6 in Bedugul

Been to Strawberry Hill Hotel? Share your experiences!