“Pat and Pam visit Crab Ranch”
Review of S & J Crab Ranch - CLOSED

S & J Crab Ranch
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Barbecue, Pub
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: York Rd
Description: Located in the heart of Towson, S & J Crab Ranch is a neighborhood restaurant and bar serving steamed crabs and barbecue. Opened in October of 2011 by two locals themselves, the Ranch has the best Maryland crabs and seafood for miles around. Also featuring Southern BBQ at its finest, we offer St. Louis style ribs, Carolina BBQ, Texas smoked brisket, and pit beef and turkey. Whatever you crave, our menu has something to offer. We pride ourselves on excellent food and outstanding service. Bring your friends, bring your family, and bring your appetite!
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Pat and Pam visit Crab Ranch”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

While traveling last Sunday, we stopped in Towson for MD hard shell crabs with Old Bay. We stumbled upon Crab Ranch when another restaurant did not have crabs as advertised. Their loss was our gain. Crab Ranch had great customer service and the best crabs I have ever eaten! If you are in the area, don't miss this place.

Baltimore, Maryland
“The Worse Customer Service Experience from one of the owners - working on duty.”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

My first and last visit to S&J Crab Ranch occurred on a Friday night around 8PM. 3/8/2013. One of the three owners was sent to our table to resolve an issue with a food order. The women at my table was unhappy with how her Old Bay Wings tasted and how they were cooked. She asked the waitress if she could substitute the food item for something else or simply have it taken off the bill. My friend was calm and politely made her request. The waitress advised our table that she didn't have the authority to make that decision, and requested the manager on duty. A man came to our table and identified himself as one of the owners of the Crab Ranch. He came to the table and offered to take the Wings and reheat them in the oven or re-fry them. He was unwilling to provide a food substitute or take the wings off of the bill. When we asked if the restaurant had a written policy, he offered none. This man was argumentative, rude and condescending. He proceeded to tell my friend who lodged the complaint about her food, that he wasn't going to make any accommodations for her. He told her that nothing was wrong with her food, and that "you wouldn't return food to a grocery store after you've purchased it"..."it's the same situation with your wings". My friend wasn't asking for a free meal. The waitress and the other manager (who I will not name) were very kind and confirmed that the owner was known to be abrasive to customers and his staff. Poor customer service can kill a business. I ordered the broiled jumbo lump crab cake with french fries and broccoli. The crab cake had little flavor and was burned on the bottom with a hard crust.The shoe strings french fries weren't crispy, but fried limp potatoes covered in shiny oil. Our waitress was kind and understanding and she received a tip despite the nasty behavior of one of the owners. Before leaving the restaurant I picked up three S&J Crab Ranch restaurant business cards available to the public: James Kahn, Stephen Recher, Brent Dempsey. If either of you are the owners, and you condone this type of behavior towards your customers from your business partner - SHAME on YOU!

4 Thank Taf1426
Towson, Maryland
“surprisingly good”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Menu has good array of price points. Ordered the half baby back and the lady friend got the crab caesar salad. The ribs were very well seasoned, meaty, and smoked until no fat remained. Draft selection could be better, Sam Adams was the best choice. The crab salad had TONS of fresh crab. Staff was friendly.

Will be back.

“Horrible”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

My friend and I went to this restaurant February 2,2013 @ 3pm in the afternoon. Upon arriving there was no one at the front station to greet us. We waited approx 5mins and no one came. Finally I stepped up to the bar area and there were customers sitti g at the bar, but no bartender. Finally my friend calls the restaurant. A man answers, she says hello we're wating at the front to be seated. His reply go on up to the bar area. She asks, is it seat yourself, he abruptly hung up the telephone. We'd like to thank you all for poor customer services. We did however, enjoy the atmosphere at Pappas and they I am certain thank your staff for theor RUDENESS.

2 Thank msdouglass0627
Maryland
“Lots of good food & service”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Mile high pulled pork nachos are enough for 6 people. The pork tasted like it was cooked a week ago. Beef brisket cheese steak also huge and very good. Fries are shoestring fries, they can do better in this dept and use steak fries. It is a meat joint, so serve meaty fries. Rib platter was good as well. They have a choice of 3 bbq sauces, but I only liked one of them. They have a home made bread pudding there, which was the best I have ever tasted. We all left stuffed to the gills. Bartenders were nice and quick. A manager or owner was walking around talking to customers making sure everything was ok. Interior has a long bar with booths, the tables are in the front. Nicely Decorated like a modern lodge. There were not alot of people in here, so if you are in this area and all the other well known restaurants are crowded, come here. We'll be back

• Visited December 2012