“Waitress Caught Badmouthing Customers”
Review of Havana Road - CLOSED

Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Between York Road and Washington Avenue
Hampstead, MD
“Waitress Caught Badmouthing Customers”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We've been here twice. The first time I probably would have rated it as average, but after yesterday, I can't give them anything but a poor rating. Everything started off well enough- a decent table outdoors on a nice day, the waitress seemed friendly. We placed our order, and a few minutes later the waitress returned to say that the chef had informed her that they were out of pasta, so my son wouldn't be able to order the maccaroni and cheese off of the kids' menu. He's four, and as any parent can confirm, four year-olds don't always behave well. After a mini meltdown about not being able to have his mac and cheese, I told the waitress to bring him the rice and fried egg instead. She went back inside to change my son's order. Shortly afterwards, my husband went into the restaurant to use the restroom and was surprised to overhear the waitress talking about our family to the chef. He called her out on it, and she tried to patch things up and save face, but the experience just went downhill after that. The food is quite average (and I would call it Cuban food dumbed down for the American palate) and overpriced. A tiny can of pear juice for my son was $2.50. To change from regular fries to yucca fries, we were charged $3 a piece! (These were not handcut yucca fries either, like we get in area Latino restaurants for a lot less! Frozen, as far as we could tell.) Lunch ended up costing us over $50 for mediocre food and unprofessional service. Not a place I ever need or desire to return to in the future.

• Visited April 2013

Baltimore, Maryland
“PLEASE, this is NOT authentic Cuban food!!”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

If you must, enjoy it for what it is, but don't leave thinking you've had an authentic Cuban meal. I was excited when it opened as there aren't any Cuban restaurants in Baltimore. Unfortunately, as far as I'm concerned, that is still the case.

Visited November 2012
Chevy Chase, Maryland
“Pequena Cuba”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Havana Road the other day
Gave us a Cuban lunch, I’d say.

My friend enjoyed his chili stew
Which was delicious through and through.

The Hummus was three of a kind
A combination hard to find.

The ham croquettes were lacking taste
Their content was a mealy paste.

A cup of soup, you crave at noon?
Just bring a mate with her own spoon.

The black bean soup on which one sups
Comes just on plates and not in cups.

But bean soup though is worth the wait
Among the best I ever ate.

Paying the bill, was it by chance
It all morphed into high finance?

The cause? A discount you can get
By searching on the Internet.

The Hungry Poet

• Visited February 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
“Great Food”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

The food served here is authentic and extremely tasty! The service is good and the smaller boutique feeling restaurant gives off a very chic but personal feel! The Cuban sandwich is the best I've had north of the Caribbean! I have visited there on a number of occasion and I have always been very impressed! Great choice for dining!

• Visited November 2012
Baltimore, MD
“Above-Average Business / Forgettable Food”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Recently ate here for the second time. It is still BYOB, which is much appreciated. They charged five dollars to open our bottle of wine. Our server, Cat, who worked the entire, full room, did a great job. She did not like the look of the scallop appetizer that we ordered and suggested that we order something else. Some places would just serve up below standard items and hope the customer does not complain. Here is a review of specific items ordered and tried:

Empanada appetizer with chorizo and Manchego cheese: Tasted pretty good, but there were only two of them, they were small, and they cost nine seventy-five. They didn't taste amazing enough for me to order them again at that price.

Mussels appetizer: Like the empanadas, the mussels tasted good, but they were small in size and number for the eleven fifty that we paid for them. They too did not taste so good that I would want to order them again at the same price.

Fish (fried) sandwich platter: This was the best value ordered (priced at fifteen dollars). The fish portion was generous and not heavily breaded. It was tender, mild in flavor and had a nice, apparently house-made tartar sauce on top. The bread it came on was nice. The platter came with fries and plantain, both of which were acceptable. Also included was a small bowl of soup. We chose the black bean variety, which was hearty and tasted good (but not amazing).

Based only upon my estimation of value relative to taste and serving size, I would rate this place as average. In fact, I have tried nothing here that makes me want to come back soon. Service, BYOB and the whole fresh-local-first emphasis pull my overall ranking to very good. Perhaps I am just not a fan of Cuban cuisine. I can think of no reason why you should not try it at least once.

• Visited February 2013