“Great Food” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cross street: Between York Road and Washington Avenue
Baltimore, Maryland
“Great Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

The food served here is authentic and extremely tasty! The service is good and the smaller boutique feeling restaurant gives off a very chic but personal feel! The Cuban sandwich is the best I've had north of the Caribbean! I have visited there on a number of occasion and I have always been very impressed! Great choice for dining!

• Visited November 2012

Baltimore, MD
“Above-Average Business / Forgettable Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

Recently ate here for the second time. It is still BYOB, which is much appreciated. They charged five dollars to open our bottle of wine. Our server, Cat, who worked the entire, full room, did a great job. She did not like the look of the scallop appetizer that we ordered and suggested that we order something else. Some places would just serve up below standard items and hope the customer does not complain. Here is a review of specific items ordered and tried:

Empanada appetizer with chorizo and Manchego cheese: Tasted pretty good, but there were only two of them, they were small, and they cost nine seventy-five. They didn't taste amazing enough for me to order them again at that price.

Mussels appetizer: Like the empanadas, the mussels tasted good, but they were small in size and number for the eleven fifty that we paid for them. They too did not taste so good that I would want to order them again at the same price.

Fish (fried) sandwich platter: This was the best value ordered (priced at fifteen dollars). The fish portion was generous and not heavily breaded. It was tender, mild in flavor and had a nice, apparently house-made tartar sauce on top. The bread it came on was nice. The platter came with fries and plantain, both of which were acceptable. Also included was a small bowl of soup. We chose the black bean variety, which was hearty and tasted good (but not amazing).

Based only upon my estimation of value relative to taste and serving size, I would rate this place as average. In fact, I have tried nothing here that makes me want to come back soon. Service, BYOB and the whole fresh-local-first emphasis pull my overall ranking to very good. Perhaps I am just not a fan of Cuban cuisine. I can think of no reason why you should not try it at least once.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not So Good Food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

The food was not good at all, however the waitress was very friendly. It does not taste like Cuban food at all. The food seemed like it was seasoned with seasoning salt. I will not be going back to this restaurant because it did not live up to its name. The restroom could use a good cleaning too.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Marie H
Towson, Maryland
“Great Cuban food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

The food here at Havana Road totally rocks and the prices are competitive. They have specials every week which knocks money off your bill. I had the shredded pork and it totally rocked my world. It was a BYOB establishment when I went last time and conveniently located near a liquor store so if you want to have some wine with your meal, it's easy enough to do.

Visited June 2012
Baltimore
“This Food is Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

We purchased a four for forty carry out dinner that can feed four people. 10 mini Cuban sandwiches, Cuban chili, two types of Cuban hummus, hot salsa, black bean dip and a loaf of Cuban bread. We just finished it pre-Super Bowl. The flavors are delightful, the sandwiches truly award winning and we haven't even gotten to the chili yet.

Towson is fortunate to have a restaurant of this caliber.