“Best Flan Ever”

Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Between York Road and Washington Avenue
Reviewed December 29, 2012

My husband and I enjoyed an early dinner at Havana Road today. It is a small restaurant, homey and intimate feeling. We ordered the hummus trio (red pepper, traditional and black bean) which were good enough to eat with a fork (although our server offered additional bread numerous times). My husband ordered Pollo Asada, which was delicious - albeit with rather small pieces of chicken. My Ropa Vieja was very good, well seasoned and tender. Fried plaintain were a nice acompaniment, along with black beans and rice. If you plan to imbibe, bring your own; we went next door to the local liquor store for beer to accompany our meal. Although we were stuffed, we shared a coconut flan and Cuban coffee for dessert. I have eaten and prepared much flan during my life, having lived in Mexico and traveled to Spain several times, but this was the best I've ever had, period. The meal was relaxing and enjoyable, service was friendly and attentive, and we will definitely go back - especially to try the Cuban sandwich. Thanks, Havana Road, for a great post-Christmas meal and a new favorite spot!

1  Thank jhip
There are newer reviews for Havana Road

Reviewed November 26, 2012

my husband and i ate there mid week at 6 o'clock.. we were the only people in the place. we ordered frios ( fries) the portion was very small. i ordered a dish that had small pieces of chicken and rice. there was so much greasy oil on the bottom of the plate is was terrible. the plantains were so greasy also, that you could squeeze out the oil. my husband ordered the
shrimp with rice. it was ok. the waitress added on an automatic 18% service charge 9 i assume that was the gratuity). we would never go back. too much money for greasy oil filled food

Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife and I have been to Havana Road about a half-dozen times over the past 6 months. It's not very close to home, but we'll go out of our way for an interesting, high-quality meal. The emphasis here is interesting - each dish has interesting flavors, not overpowered with salt or other pedestrian seasonings. Instead, there are subtleties of flavor, slow-cooked, and a mixture of textures like slow-cooked pork, black beans, rice, and plantains.

We're not experts on Cuban food but we like a variety of tastes from around the world, and Havana Road gives us flavors and aromas we don't find elsewhere in the area.

The service can be slow (still courteous) when the place is busy, but that's better than an empty restaurant and why rush a good meal? We come to Havana Road to relax and savor good food. It's BYOB but convenient - there is a nice package store right next door. Not sure why another reviewer commented on clutter - it's obviously a small restaurant, but it's clean.

We'll keep coming back, and wishing it was a little closer to home.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We've been to Havana Road many times over the last year because the food is incredible. The Cuban sandwich, black beans and rice, plantains and authentic Cuban entrees keep us coming back. The restaurant is small but cozy and the wait staff isn't overly eager but it gives you time to enjoy your company and maybe a glass or two of wine while you wait.

It's BYOB, but if you purchase from the liquor store next store you can receive 10% off your purchase, just make sure you mention you are going to Havana Road. They do charge the typical corking fee, but they also sell mixes for sangria and mojitos, which are great!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I'm very conflicted on this place. I recently visited on a Saturday with my wife, 1 year old daughter, and my sister. We showed up at around 3 pm, after the lunch crowd and before the dinner crowd. Even with the time, there was a fairly good crowd in the small space. The problem with this was that there was only 1 employee working the dining room, acting as both the host and the waitstaff for the whole place. He was doing an admirable job of trying to keep up, but it's just too much to expect out of 1 person. Consequently, our drinks were never refilled, and some general cleanup was neglected (trash on the floors, etc).

So, the service was strained, but let's talk about the food. We ordered 2 appetizers. The Pan con mojo was very good, but the fries were pretty bland. There was some parsley on them, but no seasoning of any kind, even salt. I can forgive this, however, since I ordered french fries at a Cuban place. That's my bad. For entrees, we ordered the arroz con pollo, mojo pollo asado, and carne con papas. While the food was generally very good, the mojo pollo asado was dying for some salt. The bigger problem, however, is the portion to price ratio. If I'm paying $16 for chicken and rice, I expect a filling portion. Other Cuban places I've eaten generally fill the plate up. Not so here. There was a smallish scoop of arroz con pollo, a small dish of black beans, and 2 little pieces of lightly fried plantain. If not for the fact that we ordered the 2 appetizers, I would have still been very hungry after eating this plate of food. The portion of carne con papas was even more shamefully small, and more expensive. I'm willing to pay just about any price for good food, but I at least expect the meal to be filling.

So, my take on Havana Road is this: The food is good, but the portion sizes don't justify the price. I won't knock the service too hard, because the one guy in the front of the house was doing everything he could. Maybe someone called in sick that day. It's hard to judge just by one service, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. if I'm in Towson again, I might give this place another shot, but I'd really have to be in a mood for Cuban food that day.