“Awesome!!!!”

Naya Gawana Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Banyuwedang
Reviewed January 27, 2011

Spent 4 days with my partner at this resort. Not expecting much but turn out to be an awesome break from work!!! The transfer by car from Denpasar Airport was long though approx 3 and the half hours but the scenic landscape (at one stage we were 1400m above sea level) and the view was WOW! I have been to Bali every year for the last 15 years and this was a part of Bali I have not seen and it was captivating!

The resort was naturally landscape sitting at the fringe of the West Bali National Park. Only 16 suites. We stayed at the Lumbungan Suite. Only thing is there is no TV or WIFI. However, like us, we wanted to escape from the world of technology! The room was large and comfort and the bathroom could fit 2 kingsize bed and best of all, every suite have a hot spring bath! Not only that, the swim pool water is filled with hot spring water!!! Simply refreshing and good for the body!

Note that there is nothing to do at the resort except for snorkelling, diving or the spa. Forget about going to the mall or even another restaurant cos you are smack in the National Park! The resort have one restaurant and they serve local and international food - not bad and not too pricey. The service was EXCELLENT!!! Just watch for the mosquitoes in the evening though they provide you with anti-mosquitoe cream for free.

The sunset is gorgeous overlooking the bay. Brings loads of books and magazines to read! The diving is awesome with the world renown dive sites of Menjangan Island only 30 mins by boat!

Overall, we had a splendid quiet and relaxing time and we thinking of booking the whole resort for a weekend party ... a gem to be discovered!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Maxmaya
NovusCorp, Public Relations Manager at Naya Gawana Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2011

Dear Mr. Ray,

Warm Greetings from Novus Hotels & Resorts,

We are happy to hear that you so enjoyed the unique experience we offer at our resort. We are especially pleased to learn you were fully satisfied with the quality of our room, hot-spring bath, food and service.

Once again thank you for staying with us and we are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future at Novus Gawana Resort & Spa.

Corporate Marketing Communication

Reviewed October 26, 2010

Don't get me wrong, the hotel is beautifull. The rooms are amazing, and the pool and the divecenter (aswell as the diving) are great.
But when you've travelled all around Bali and you get here you will noticed the prices are extremly high. The location is quiet, wich is a choise. However you are more bound to the hotel and the restaurant on sight. Unfortunally they charge twice the prices for the food and drinks as anywhere else in Bali. This is such a pitty.
The other thing is that we had a room close to a tempel. And the week that we were there they had some sort of celebration going on. Unfotunally with a lot of enoying music from 6 am till 11 pm.... A shame....

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sonja_van_der_eijk
NovusCorp, Public Relations Manager at Naya Gawana Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2011

Dear Ms. Sonja,

Warm Greetings from Novus Gawana Resort & Spa,

Thank you for the compliments regarding our room, the pool and the dive center. Your constructive feedback helps us to improve our facilities and services toward improving your stay experience. Your comments about your unpleasant experience will help ensure that a situation like this will not be repeated. We have taken all necessary corrective actions.

We look forward to welcoming you in the near future at Novus Gawana Resort & Spa.

Corporate Marketing Communications

Reviewed October 7, 2010

West Bali National Park is a great area away from the crowds of south Bali. This resort is at it's doorstep. It is situated at the edge of a bay surrounded by mangrove forest. It is about 30- 40 minutes by boat to Menjangan Island for diving or snorkeling, where the reef remains in very good condition.
We stayed in the mangrove villa. It comes with a natural hot spring jacuzzi tub in the enclosed, extended outdoor bathroom, where we really enjoyed a soak daily.
There is a lanai which faces the mangrove forest, so the view is a bit close, but it was nice to have such a natural setting.
The staff were lovely.
We were able to sit on the jetty in the bay and watched the sunset behind the volcanoes of eastern Java Island, which was quite spectacular.
Disappointments were that there was no bidet or hand-held shower in the villa. Also, the room was very spacious and it would have been more evenly cooled if there were a ceiling fan as well as the one split airconditioning unit. The bed was really hard, though I must say the linens were very crisp and lovely.
The selection of breads at breakfast was only white bread and not very good pastries. If I were to go again I would take my own multi-grain. Otherwise the food was clean and not bad.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DugongKechil
NovusCorp, Public Relations Manager at Naya Gawana Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2011

Dear Sir,
We are glad that you enjoyed staying at our villas, especially our unique natural hot spring water in the al fresco outdoor bathroom.

Your constructive feedback related to the lack of a hand-held shower in the villas and the insufficient variety of pastries were duly noted and corrected. We spare no efforts to improve our facilities and services for greater guest satisfaction.

We hope your next stay in Novus Gawana Resort & Spa will also be a wonderful one.

Corporate Marketing Communications

Reviewed May 30, 2010

My husband & I spent 4 nights at the Novus Gawana in mid-May. Overall, our stay was wonderful.

We stayed in Mangrove Suite 2, which was stunning. The bed was comfortable, the AC was cold, the outdoor bathroom was beautiful. We absolutely loved the private hot tub, we used it multiple times a day. It was a great reprieve from the hot sun, and when it was raining, it was a great spot as well (it was covered). We did have multiple lizards & spiders living with us, but it was a fair tradeoff for the lack of mosquitos in the room.

The staff & property were wonderful. On our 3rd day, our hot tub broke - it was fixed within an hour. Whenever we asked for anything, it was immediately done with a smile. We used a driver everyday (through the hotel) & he was extremely accommodating, friendly & spoke decent english. Everyone wants to help, and everyone wants your stay to be wonderful - the people were fantastic.

We had a couples massage there on our 3rd day & I loved it so much I had a 2nd one the next day. During our trip in Bali we went to multiple spas, and I think the massage we had at Novus was the best. I would definitely make use of their spa while you are visiting!

Also, the pool was stunning. My husband & I are not "pool" people but we spent multiple hours in their beautiful, clean infinity pool overlooking the lagoon & forest. They recently put in a new hot tub, which was nice as well, although we preferred to use the private one in our room.

The restaurant was also quite good for a hotel restaurant. We ate all but one of our meals there (we took a car to the Matahari resort, which is very nice. I recommend going there to eat, as the restaurant was great as well). The restaurant had a great breakfast spread each morning and my husband loved eating the traditional Indonesian breakfast while I opted for the American. We loved the variety & the fresh fruit juices they served each morning.

Through the hotel we also went snorkeling at Menjangan island, which was a great excursion. They provided a nice lunch from a local warung & fresh fruit when we returned. We also did the jungle trek through the hotel. We didn't see any animals (except monkeys....always monkeys), but again it was a good trip they provided.

I would definitely recommend this hotel & was very pleased we stayed here. If you plan on visiting, there are just a few "warnings":
- You can't really leave the hotel without a driver - there is nothing within walking distance. Be prepared with this knowledge. By our last day we were both starting to get cabin fever & needed a change of pace.
- The hotel leaves fresh fruit in your room. While this is lovely, it is not lovely to be woken up in the middle of the night by critters stealing it, rolling it across your floor & then eating it in the corner. We have no idea what kind of critters were in our room & we don't want to know - We sat in the bed wide eyed & listened & in the morning checked out the eaten fruit on the floor. After that, we threw out the fruit. I would recommend asking them to not leave the fruit, or to leave it in your refrigerator.
- The towels & bed linens (white) were covered in stains. This didn't bother us terribly, but I know it is an issue for some. Just be prepared.
- The clothes we left in the wardrobe (which was outside, as previously mentioned) were not only damp & musty but filled with mosquitos. I would not leave anything out there.
- There was no internet connection (there is supposed to be one in the rec room but it was down the whole time)

With that said, Novus showed us a great time. If I ever went back to Banyuwedang, I would definitely stay here!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank yohagopelo
Reviewed May 17, 2010

We stayed here for access to the West Bali National Park, and chose Gawana over the Menjangan Resort because the accommodation looked better and there was a spa. Having visited the Menjangan Resort for the birdwatching walks, I think the accommodation at Gawana is definitely more luxurious; the advantage Menjangan has is being actually in the jungle of the Park, so the wildlife/birdlife is right on your doorstep.

BUT I have no regrets about staying at Gawana. The Mangrove Suite was gorgeous: spacious, and beautifully decorated. The outdoor shower and hot-spring jacuzzi/plunge pool were just lovely. The food was excellent, and reasonably priced considering that they have pretty much a captive market - there's nowhere else you can go to very easily. The staff were superb: helpful, friendly and cheerful. When my husband was unwell, they were very good in getting hold of medicine for him, and then calling a doctor. They even said they were praying for him, as it was the Galungan festival!

A special mention for Made Adilasa, who was endlessly helpful in answering my emails before we booked, and who tailored the package for us with activities to suit our preferences. When we met in person, he was just as helpful; a really delightful person, and a great asset to the Novus group. Thank you, Made!

Snorkelling at Menjangan Island was one of my best ever snorkelling experiences; I just didn't want to get out of the water. Unbelievably special, and I'd go back like a shot. The birdwatching was very special, too, as we saw the rare Bali Starling in the wild, which we had never expected to happen. There were good birds in the gardens at Gawana, too, although the rain kept us inside more than we had expected.

The spa is wonderful, with views to the mountains of Java. My 2-hour treatment was bliss.

A wonderful experience overall. The only less-than-superlative comments I'd make are these:

1. There was no phone in our suite, and although we mentioned this several times, it was not put right until the third day we were there. Not necessarily a big deal, except that if there had been an emergency we were a fair walk from reception, and in the pouring rain or at night it would have been a pain to have to trek over there rather than call.

2. The designer obviously wanted to keep the interior design as clean and uncluttered as possible, so the wardrobe is in the bathroom - which means effectively it's outside. We found that by the time we left all our clothes were slightly damp, with a musty smell; I'd suggest for the two new Mangrove Suites currently being built that the hotel might consider putting the wardrobe inside.

3. There was more noise than we'd expected; we were right at the edge of the resort, so very close to the public jetty where boats go to Menjangan Island. The noise of scooter traffic, boats, music and loud talking started quite early in the morning. I'm a light sleeper, so this kept me awake; however, it didn't bother my husband at all!

I should stress that these are intended as constructive comments, and that this should not be seen as anything other than a rave review. I hope I'll be able to go back before too long.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TravellingNaturalist
Reviewed April 27, 2010

I am a Travel Agent and did much research before booking here.

I have a friend who is the sales representative for Garuda Indonesia Airlines and she did warn me it is a long way to go. However, Novus Gawana representative advised me it was only 2.5hrs. Well it took minimum 3hours and about half way the road is very windy to the point were it is sickening. It is off the beaten track and still a fantastic experience.

If I was booking this hotel not on a deal i.e stay pay deal stay 3 pay 2 I would not stay here. I really don't think it is worth the money. What you are paying for is the location as it is embedded in the West Bali National Park. I didn't find the hotel or area special enough or even worth getting excited about.

The restaurant is fine not what you would expect for a 5 star hotel though. Prices are good though especially on our dollar and coctails are also good value.

Air Conditioning in the room was old and not refreshing enough for me and I actually hate it when its too cold. I think it because the Lumbungs are made of straw and don't maintain the cooling very well.

I think once was enough for me I didn't have a fantastic, raving experience.

I would only come here to go snorkelling at Menjangan island which is about 30min boat ride and 4hour day trip. Double the price if booked at the hotel with lunch included (400,000 rupiah per person) 300,00 rupiah per person if booked out side hotel.

Other than that I think it is too far to come and too boring for me. Also day trips other than island trip is overpriced. I will find this hard to recommend to my clients for the price they charge per night to any age bracket.

The Scenery is what I enjoyed the most and the staff are absolutely gorgeous people.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Smiley87
Reviewed February 21, 2010

Resort with an approx 15 bungalows located in a little bay with a magrove forest. It's a great spot for diving and snorkeling.

Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
9  Thank bjsmit
NovusCorp, Corporate Marketing Communications Manager at Naya Gawana Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2010

Dear Sir,

Warm Greetings from Novus Hotels & Resorts,
Thank you for staying with us, it was a pleasure to have you in our resort.

We are looking forward to welcoming you in the near future at Novus Gawana Resort & Spa.

Novus Hotels & Resort

Also consider these accommodations in or near Banyuwedang
Menjangan Dynasty Resort, Beach Camp & Dive Centre
The Menjangan
The Menjangan
#1 of 4 in West Bali National Park
Taman Sari Bali Resort & Spa

Been to Naya Gawana Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!