“Lovely Natural Setting”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Banyuwedang
Singapore
“Lovely Natural Setting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2010

West Bali National Park is a great area away from the crowds of south Bali. This resort is at it's doorstep. It is situated at the edge of a bay surrounded by mangrove forest. It is about 30- 40 minutes by boat to Menjangan Island for diving or snorkeling, where the reef remains in very good condition.
We stayed in the mangrove villa. It comes with a natural hot spring jacuzzi tub in the enclosed, extended outdoor bathroom, where we really enjoyed a soak daily.
There is a lanai which faces the mangrove forest, so the view is a bit close, but it was nice to have such a natural setting.
The staff were lovely.
We were able to sit on the jetty in the bay and watched the sunset behind the volcanoes of eastern Java Island, which was quite spectacular.
Disappointments were that there was no bidet or hand-held shower in the villa. Also, the room was very spacious and it would have been more evenly cooled if there were a ceiling fan as well as the one split airconditioning unit. The bed was really hard, though I must say the linens were very crisp and lovely.
The selection of breads at breakfast was only white bread and not very good pastries. If I were to go again I would take my own multi-grain. Otherwise the food was clean and not bad.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DugongKechil
NovusCorp, Public Relations Manager at Naya Gawana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 22, 2011
Dear Sir,
We are glad that you enjoyed staying at our villas, especially our unique natural hot spring water in the al fresco outdoor bathroom.

Your constructive feedback related to the lack of a hand-held shower in the villas and the insufficient variety of pastries were duly noted and corrected. We spare no efforts to improve our facilities and services for greater guest satisfaction.

We hope your next stay in Novus Gawana Resort & Spa will also be a wonderful one.

Warmest Regards,

Corporate Marketing Communications
Novus Hotels & Resorts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
new york, ny
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2010

My husband & I spent 4 nights at the Novus Gawana in mid-May. Overall, our stay was wonderful.

We stayed in Mangrove Suite 2, which was stunning. The bed was comfortable, the AC was cold, the outdoor bathroom was beautiful. We absolutely loved the private hot tub, we used it multiple times a day. It was a great reprieve from the hot sun, and when it was raining, it was a great spot as well (it was covered). We did have multiple lizards & spiders living with us, but it was a fair tradeoff for the lack of mosquitos in the room.

The staff & property were wonderful. On our 3rd day, our hot tub broke - it was fixed within an hour. Whenever we asked for anything, it was immediately done with a smile. We used a driver everyday (through the hotel) & he was extremely accommodating, friendly & spoke decent english. Everyone wants to help, and everyone wants your stay to be wonderful - the people were fantastic.

We had a couples massage there on our 3rd day & I loved it so much I had a 2nd one the next day. During our trip in Bali we went to multiple spas, and I think the massage we had at Novus was the best. I would definitely make use of their spa while you are visiting!

Also, the pool was stunning. My husband & I are not "pool" people but we spent multiple hours in their beautiful, clean infinity pool overlooking the lagoon & forest. They recently put in a new hot tub, which was nice as well, although we preferred to use the private one in our room.

The restaurant was also quite good for a hotel restaurant. We ate all but one of our meals there (we took a car to the Matahari resort, which is very nice. I recommend going there to eat, as the restaurant was great as well). The restaurant had a great breakfast spread each morning and my husband loved eating the traditional Indonesian breakfast while I opted for the American. We loved the variety & the fresh fruit juices they served each morning.

Through the hotel we also went snorkeling at Menjangan island, which was a great excursion. They provided a nice lunch from a local warung & fresh fruit when we returned. We also did the jungle trek through the hotel. We didn't see any animals (except monkeys....always monkeys), but again it was a good trip they provided.

I would definitely recommend this hotel & was very pleased we stayed here. If you plan on visiting, there are just a few "warnings":
- You can't really leave the hotel without a driver - there is nothing within walking distance. Be prepared with this knowledge. By our last day we were both starting to get cabin fever & needed a change of pace.
- The hotel leaves fresh fruit in your room. While this is lovely, it is not lovely to be woken up in the middle of the night by critters stealing it, rolling it across your floor & then eating it in the corner. We have no idea what kind of critters were in our room & we don't want to know - We sat in the bed wide eyed & listened & in the morning checked out the eaten fruit on the floor. After that, we threw out the fruit. I would recommend asking them to not leave the fruit, or to leave it in your refrigerator.
- The towels & bed linens (white) were covered in stains. This didn't bother us terribly, but I know it is an issue for some. Just be prepared.
- The clothes we left in the wardrobe (which was outside, as previously mentioned) were not only damp & musty but filled with mosquitos. I would not leave anything out there.
- There was no internet connection (there is supposed to be one in the rec room but it was down the whole time)

With that said, Novus showed us a great time. If I ever went back to Banyuwedang, I would definitely stay here!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank yohagopelo
Taunton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2010

We stayed here for access to the West Bali National Park, and chose Gawana over the Menjangan Resort because the accommodation looked better and there was a spa. Having visited the Menjangan Resort for the birdwatching walks, I think the accommodation at Gawana is definitely more luxurious; the advantage Menjangan has is being actually in the jungle of the Park, so the wildlife/birdlife is right on your doorstep.

BUT I have no regrets about staying at Gawana. The Mangrove Suite was gorgeous: spacious, and beautifully decorated. The outdoor shower and hot-spring jacuzzi/plunge pool were just lovely. The food was excellent, and reasonably priced considering that they have pretty much a captive market - there's nowhere else you can go to very easily. The staff were superb: helpful, friendly and cheerful. When my husband was unwell, they were very good in getting hold of medicine for him, and then calling a doctor. They even said they were praying for him, as it was the Galungan festival!

A special mention for Made Adilasa, who was endlessly helpful in answering my emails before we booked, and who tailored the package for us with activities to suit our preferences. When we met in person, he was just as helpful; a really delightful person, and a great asset to the Novus group. Thank you, Made!

Snorkelling at Menjangan Island was one of my best ever snorkelling experiences; I just didn't want to get out of the water. Unbelievably special, and I'd go back like a shot. The birdwatching was very special, too, as we saw the rare Bali Starling in the wild, which we had never expected to happen. There were good birds in the gardens at Gawana, too, although the rain kept us inside more than we had expected.

The spa is wonderful, with views to the mountains of Java. My 2-hour treatment was bliss.

A wonderful experience overall. The only less-than-superlative comments I'd make are these:

1. There was no phone in our suite, and although we mentioned this several times, it was not put right until the third day we were there. Not necessarily a big deal, except that if there had been an emergency we were a fair walk from reception, and in the pouring rain or at night it would have been a pain to have to trek over there rather than call.

2. The designer obviously wanted to keep the interior design as clean and uncluttered as possible, so the wardrobe is in the bathroom - which means effectively it's outside. We found that by the time we left all our clothes were slightly damp, with a musty smell; I'd suggest for the two new Mangrove Suites currently being built that the hotel might consider putting the wardrobe inside.

3. There was more noise than we'd expected; we were right at the edge of the resort, so very close to the public jetty where boats go to Menjangan Island. The noise of scooter traffic, boats, music and loud talking started quite early in the morning. I'm a light sleeper, so this kept me awake; however, it didn't bother my husband at all!

I should stress that these are intended as constructive comments, and that this should not be seen as anything other than a rave review. I hope I'll be able to go back before too long.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravellingNaturalist
Melbourne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2010

I am a Travel Agent and did much research before booking here.

I have a friend who is the sales representative for Garuda Indonesia Airlines and she did warn me it is a long way to go. However, Novus Gawana representative advised me it was only 2.5hrs. Well it took minimum 3hours and about half way the road is very windy to the point were it is sickening. It is off the beaten track and still a fantastic experience.

If I was booking this hotel not on a deal i.e stay pay deal stay 3 pay 2 I would not stay here. I really don't think it is worth the money. What you are paying for is the location as it is embedded in the West Bali National Park. I didn't find the hotel or area special enough or even worth getting excited about.

The restaurant is fine not what you would expect for a 5 star hotel though. Prices are good though especially on our dollar and coctails are also good value.

Air Conditioning in the room was old and not refreshing enough for me and I actually hate it when its too cold. I think it because the Lumbungs are made of straw and don't maintain the cooling very well.

I think once was enough for me I didn't have a fantastic, raving experience.

I would only come here to go snorkelling at Menjangan island which is about 30min boat ride and 4hour day trip. Double the price if booked at the hotel with lunch included (400,000 rupiah per person) 300,00 rupiah per person if booked out side hotel.

Other than that I think it is too far to come and too boring for me. Also day trips other than island trip is overpriced. I will find this hard to recommend to my clients for the price they charge per night to any age bracket.

The Scenery is what I enjoyed the most and the staff are absolutely gorgeous people.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Smiley87
Gorinchem, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2010

Resort with an approx 15 bungalows located in a little bay with a magrove forest. It's a great spot for diving and snorkeling.

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
9 Thank bjsmit
NovusCorp, Corporate Marketing Communications Manager at Naya Gawana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 17, 2010

Warm Greetings from Novus Hotels & Resorts,
Thank you for staying with us, it was a pleasure to have you in our resort.

We are looking forward to welcoming you in the near future at Novus Gawana Resort & Spa.

Warmest Regards,
Novus Hotels & Resort
The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2010

We stayed in Novus Gawana for 8 nights in februari, which is low season. The Lumbung suites are hugh, with a great bed plus mosquito net on the upper floor and a large couch and balcony on the lower floor. The bathroom is also large and luxurious. The water from the tabs comes directly from the hot spring, which means you cannot take a cold shower but that doesn't matter much. The room has a fan and aircondition and stays quit cool. The Lumbung suites are situated in a great garden with lots of flowers and birds. Service is very good, fresh flowers, towels and drinking water everyday.

The friendlyness of the entire staff of the resort is striking, even the gardeners stop working once you show up and always ask about "your activity of today". The restaurant is nice with a great view on the bay. The menu is not very extensive but contains some very tastefull Indonesian dishes. The portions and not huge and the dishes not supercheap, but the quality was good and always fresh.

The dive center of the resort is run by a German lady and a couple of very nice Indonesian dive guides. Snorkeling on the housereef is great. Don't expect any white sand or great visibility, but the amount of batfish and nudibrances (and they say even seahorses were seen!) will make it up to you. The dive center offers a daily trip to Menjangan Island, which is a 45 minute relaxed trip on a wooden boat (with shade). You will make one dive in the morning and another one afer having lunch on the boat or on the dock. It's also possible to make an early morning dive or a night dive, and they even have their very own Mandarin Point. Secret Bay is a special trip made by car, it takes about an hour to get there but it's worth it. The dive site could be compared to Lembeh Strait in Sulawesi, only a bit smaller. The number of weird creatures is enormous.

Overall: great place to stay when you're into diving and you're looking for a relaxed holiday.

P.S. the peanuts are indeed very good. And so is the coconut cocktail :-)

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank kc_nl
Warm greetings from Novus Hotels & Resorts
We delighted that you so enjoyed our hotel facilities and activities. Thank you for the compliments about our room, food and services.

It is a pleasure for us to strive to provide the highest quality of service. We look forward to seeing you again at Novus Gawana Resort & Spa and hope your next visit will be an unforgettably wonderful one.

Warmest Regards,.

Corporate Marketing Communications
Novus Hotels & Resorts
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2009

Stayed here for two nights as we toured around Bali. The location is about a far away from the touristy part of Bali as you can get. I think our party and another three couples were the only people staying here on the first night.

We stayed in a Lumbung suite, these are quite cute, with two levels, bedroom is upstairs, bathroom below. Each suite is its own individual structure with a balcony. Bathroom has a huge concrete tub with rainshower. Water is actually natural hot spring water (has that smell too) - I found it hard to get the right temperature.

There is a pool with towels provided, cocktails if you want (for purchase) and little birds that keep sweeping into the pool. The view is of mangroves, not the beach. It was also quite windy, apparently this is normal at that time of year.

We went snorkeling at Menjangan island, it's a full dive center as well. Took a boat out there (about 45 mins), had excellent visibility (100ft+), warm water, LOTS of fish, coral and followed a turtle around. There is also a wall going down into the depths for the avid wall divers (but the water got colder as we ventured in that direction). Lunch was a simple box lunch, BUT... the salad had a very spicy pepper that some did not notice. Oh, remember to put sunblock on the back of your legs.

We had to be flexible with pre-dinner drinks as they seemed to have a limited inventory (ran out of basics like either Gin or Tonic). The staff was willing to be chatty with us, or leave us alone depending on our mood. The peanuts were really tasty - not the same type we tend to get in the US - much crunchier. Dinner was good, not great. Service was pretty good too. After dinner we grabbed our drinks and played some pool (don't expect perfect condition).

When we were leaving, we had been told one rate for the driver to the ferry (the published rate) and as we were leaving the fella at the desk mentioned another rate a little bit higher. We corrected him and all was fine - but this seemed to happen almost everywhere we went in Bali.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Banyuwedang
Menjangan Dynasty Resort
Mimpi Resort Menjangan
Mimpi Resort Menjangan
#2 of 3 in Banyuwedang
Taman Sari Bali Resort & Spa

Been to Naya Gawana Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!