“Warm welcome in West Bali”

Naya Gawana Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Banyuwedang
Reviewed May 17, 2010

We stayed here for access to the West Bali National Park, and chose Gawana over the Menjangan Resort because the accommodation looked better and there was a spa. Having visited the Menjangan Resort for the birdwatching walks, I think the accommodation at Gawana is definitely more luxurious; the advantage Menjangan has is being actually in the jungle of the Park, so the wildlife/birdlife is right on your doorstep.

BUT I have no regrets about staying at Gawana. The Mangrove Suite was gorgeous: spacious, and beautifully decorated. The outdoor shower and hot-spring jacuzzi/plunge pool were just lovely. The food was excellent, and reasonably priced considering that they have pretty much a captive market - there's nowhere else you can go to very easily. The staff were superb: helpful, friendly and cheerful. When my husband was unwell, they were very good in getting hold of medicine for him, and then calling a doctor. They even said they were praying for him, as it was the Galungan festival!

A special mention for Made Adilasa, who was endlessly helpful in answering my emails before we booked, and who tailored the package for us with activities to suit our preferences. When we met in person, he was just as helpful; a really delightful person, and a great asset to the Novus group. Thank you, Made!

Snorkelling at Menjangan Island was one of my best ever snorkelling experiences; I just didn't want to get out of the water. Unbelievably special, and I'd go back like a shot. The birdwatching was very special, too, as we saw the rare Bali Starling in the wild, which we had never expected to happen. There were good birds in the gardens at Gawana, too, although the rain kept us inside more than we had expected.

The spa is wonderful, with views to the mountains of Java. My 2-hour treatment was bliss.

A wonderful experience overall. The only less-than-superlative comments I'd make are these:

1. There was no phone in our suite, and although we mentioned this several times, it was not put right until the third day we were there. Not necessarily a big deal, except that if there had been an emergency we were a fair walk from reception, and in the pouring rain or at night it would have been a pain to have to trek over there rather than call.

2. The designer obviously wanted to keep the interior design as clean and uncluttered as possible, so the wardrobe is in the bathroom - which means effectively it's outside. We found that by the time we left all our clothes were slightly damp, with a musty smell; I'd suggest for the two new Mangrove Suites currently being built that the hotel might consider putting the wardrobe inside.

3. There was more noise than we'd expected; we were right at the edge of the resort, so very close to the public jetty where boats go to Menjangan Island. The noise of scooter traffic, boats, music and loud talking started quite early in the morning. I'm a light sleeper, so this kept me awake; however, it didn't bother my husband at all!

I should stress that these are intended as constructive comments, and that this should not be seen as anything other than a rave review. I hope I'll be able to go back before too long.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TravellingNaturalist

Reviewed April 27, 2010

I am a Travel Agent and did much research before booking here.

I have a friend who is the sales representative for Garuda Indonesia Airlines and she did warn me it is a long way to go. However, Novus Gawana representative advised me it was only 2.5hrs. Well it took minimum 3hours and about half way the road is very windy to the point were it is sickening. It is off the beaten track and still a fantastic experience.

If I was booking this hotel not on a deal i.e stay pay deal stay 3 pay 2 I would not stay here. I really don't think it is worth the money. What you are paying for is the location as it is embedded in the West Bali National Park. I didn't find the hotel or area special enough or even worth getting excited about.

The restaurant is fine not what you would expect for a 5 star hotel though. Prices are good though especially on our dollar and coctails are also good value.

Air Conditioning in the room was old and not refreshing enough for me and I actually hate it when its too cold. I think it because the Lumbungs are made of straw and don't maintain the cooling very well.

I think once was enough for me I didn't have a fantastic, raving experience.

I would only come here to go snorkelling at Menjangan island which is about 30min boat ride and 4hour day trip. Double the price if booked at the hotel with lunch included (400,000 rupiah per person) 300,00 rupiah per person if booked out side hotel.

Other than that I think it is too far to come and too boring for me. Also day trips other than island trip is overpriced. I will find this hard to recommend to my clients for the price they charge per night to any age bracket.

The Scenery is what I enjoyed the most and the staff are absolutely gorgeous people.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Smiley87
Reviewed February 21, 2010

Resort with an approx 15 bungalows located in a little bay with a magrove forest. It's a great spot for diving and snorkeling.

Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
9  Thank bjsmit
NovusCorp, Corporate Marketing Communications Manager at Naya Gawana Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2010

Dear Sir,

Warm Greetings from Novus Hotels & Resorts,
Thank you for staying with us, it was a pleasure to have you in our resort.

We are looking forward to welcoming you in the near future at Novus Gawana Resort & Spa.

Warmest Regards,
Novus Hotels & Resort

Reviewed February 21, 2010

We stayed in Novus Gawana for 8 nights in februari, which is low season. The Lumbung suites are hugh, with a great bed plus mosquito net on the upper floor and a large couch and balcony on the lower floor. The bathroom is also large and luxurious. The water from the tabs comes directly from the hot spring, which means you cannot take a cold shower but that doesn't matter much. The room has a fan and aircondition and stays quit cool. The Lumbung suites are situated in a great garden with lots of flowers and birds. Service is very good, fresh flowers, towels and drinking water everyday.

The friendlyness of the entire staff of the resort is striking, even the gardeners stop working once you show up and always ask about "your activity of today". The restaurant is nice with a great view on the bay. The menu is not very extensive but contains some very tastefull Indonesian dishes. The portions and not huge and the dishes not supercheap, but the quality was good and always fresh.

The dive center of the resort is run by a German lady and a couple of very nice Indonesian dive guides. Snorkeling on the housereef is great. Don't expect any white sand or great visibility, but the amount of batfish and nudibrances (and they say even seahorses were seen!) will make it up to you. The dive center offers a daily trip to Menjangan Island, which is a 45 minute relaxed trip on a wooden boat (with shade). You will make one dive in the morning and another one afer having lunch on the boat or on the dock. It's also possible to make an early morning dive or a night dive, and they even have their very own Mandarin Point. Secret Bay is a special trip made by car, it takes about an hour to get there but it's worth it. The dive site could be compared to Lembeh Strait in Sulawesi, only a bit smaller. The number of weird creatures is enormous.

Overall: great place to stay when you're into diving and you're looking for a relaxed holiday.

P.S. the peanuts are indeed very good. And so is the coconut cocktail :-)

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank kc_nl
NovusCorp, Public Relations Manager at Naya Gawana Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2011

Dear Sir,
Warm greetings from Novus Hotels & Resorts
We delighted that you so enjoyed our hotel facilities and activities. Thank you for the compliments about our room, food and services.

It is a pleasure for us to strive to provide the highest quality of service. We look forward to seeing you again at Novus Gawana Resort & Spa and hope your next visit will be an unforgettably wonderful one.

Warmest Regards,.

Corporate Marketing Communications
Novus Hotels & Resorts

Reviewed November 14, 2009

Stayed here for two nights as we toured around Bali. The location is about a far away from the touristy part of Bali as you can get. I think our party and another three couples were the only people staying here on the first night.

We stayed in a Lumbung suite, these are quite cute, with two levels, bedroom is upstairs, bathroom below. Each suite is its own individual structure with a balcony. Bathroom has a huge concrete tub with rainshower. Water is actually natural hot spring water (has that smell too) - I found it hard to get the right temperature.

There is a pool with towels provided, cocktails if you want (for purchase) and little birds that keep sweeping into the pool. The view is of mangroves, not the beach. It was also quite windy, apparently this is normal at that time of year.

We went snorkeling at Menjangan island, it's a full dive center as well. Took a boat out there (about 45 mins), had excellent visibility (100ft+), warm water, LOTS of fish, coral and followed a turtle around. There is also a wall going down into the depths for the avid wall divers (but the water got colder as we ventured in that direction). Lunch was a simple box lunch, BUT... the salad had a very spicy pepper that some did not notice. Oh, remember to put sunblock on the back of your legs.

We had to be flexible with pre-dinner drinks as they seemed to have a limited inventory (ran out of basics like either Gin or Tonic). The staff was willing to be chatty with us, or leave us alone depending on our mood. The peanuts were really tasty - not the same type we tend to get in the US - much crunchier. Dinner was good, not great. Service was pretty good too. After dinner we grabbed our drinks and played some pool (don't expect perfect condition).

When we were leaving, we had been told one rate for the driver to the ferry (the published rate) and as we were leaving the fella at the desk mentioned another rate a little bit higher. We corrected him and all was fine - but this seemed to happen almost everywhere we went in Bali.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
An Agoda Traveler
Reviewed April 2, 2009

• Stayed: April 2009
Reviewed July 13, 2008

We stayed at Gawana in early July. We have two children aged 15 and 8 and we all love snorkelling, which was the attraction of this resort.

Firstly, West Bali is a long, long way from Ubud, Denpasar and Kuta. In time, culture and climate. Our driver must have taken us on a scenic route as it took us over 5 hours from Ubud, dodging chickens, mopeds and dogs all the way. The landscape got drier and warmer after we passed over the central mountains in low cloud. Very dramatic.

Our sense of fatigue disappeared as we reached gawana as it truly is an oasis. The views are to die for and the architecture of Lumbungs and low bungalows is sympathetic and unique.

The Gawana is obviously not new place. Many of the fittings, fixtures and fabric are a bit tired, but this just adds to the charm. It's not the 'four seasons' but that's a good thing. We had two Lumbung suites, but in reality we only used one as they are easily big enough for four. Facilities in the suites are a bit basic but we were there for the snorkelling so we didn't really care. There is a games room, reminiscent of 50's holiday camps and a single on site restaurant. Eating out isn't really an option as the nearest village is very small and not set up for tourists but to my surprise and delight the restaurant was excellent. The chef really knew what he was doing and his creations would not have been out of place in 5 star horels in Singapore or Hong Kong. The tuna tataki was incredible.

Snorkelling and diving takes place at the nearby coral reef and is simply wonderful. The gawana has it's own dive centre and we were kitted out by Anya (an ex-pat German) in excellent wet suits an gear. We were also provide with a guide, a boat and pilot and lunch. All fabulous.

There has to be some down points though. West Bali is quite Muslim and I was awakened by the call to prayer at 4 am and the accompanying cockerel calls. The hotel also made a mistake with our booking and there was a prolonged negotiation to get it fixed. For obvious reasons this place attracts honeymooners and we were the only family there. if it wasn't for the Japanese scuba divers we would have felt like real goosberries!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank Equality_7-2521
Also consider these accommodations in or near Banyuwedang
Menjangan Dynasty Resort, Beach Camp & Dive Centre
The Menjangan
The Menjangan
#1 of 4 in West Bali National Park
Taman Sari Bali Resort & Spa

Been to Naya Gawana Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!