We stayed here for access to the West Bali National Park, and chose Gawana over the Menjangan Resort because the accommodation looked better and there was a spa. Having visited the Menjangan Resort for the birdwatching walks, I think the accommodation at Gawana is definitely more luxurious; the advantage Menjangan has is being actually in the jungle of the Park, so the wildlife/birdlife is right on your doorstep.
BUT I have no regrets about staying at Gawana. The Mangrove Suite was gorgeous: spacious, and beautifully decorated. The outdoor shower and hot-spring jacuzzi/plunge pool were just lovely. The food was excellent, and reasonably priced considering that they have pretty much a captive market - there's nowhere else you can go to very easily. The staff were superb: helpful, friendly and cheerful. When my husband was unwell, they were very good in getting hold of medicine for him, and then calling a doctor. They even said they were praying for him, as it was the Galungan festival!
A special mention for Made Adilasa, who was endlessly helpful in answering my emails before we booked, and who tailored the package for us with activities to suit our preferences. When we met in person, he was just as helpful; a really delightful person, and a great asset to the Novus group. Thank you, Made!
Snorkelling at Menjangan Island was one of my best ever snorkelling experiences; I just didn't want to get out of the water. Unbelievably special, and I'd go back like a shot. The birdwatching was very special, too, as we saw the rare Bali Starling in the wild, which we had never expected to happen. There were good birds in the gardens at Gawana, too, although the rain kept us inside more than we had expected.
The spa is wonderful, with views to the mountains of Java. My 2-hour treatment was bliss.
A wonderful experience overall. The only less-than-superlative comments I'd make are these:
1. There was no phone in our suite, and although we mentioned this several times, it was not put right until the third day we were there. Not necessarily a big deal, except that if there had been an emergency we were a fair walk from reception, and in the pouring rain or at night it would have been a pain to have to trek over there rather than call.
2. The designer obviously wanted to keep the interior design as clean and uncluttered as possible, so the wardrobe is in the bathroom - which means effectively it's outside. We found that by the time we left all our clothes were slightly damp, with a musty smell; I'd suggest for the two new Mangrove Suites currently being built that the hotel might consider putting the wardrobe inside.
3. There was more noise than we'd expected; we were right at the edge of the resort, so very close to the public jetty where boats go to Menjangan Island. The noise of scooter traffic, boats, music and loud talking started quite early in the morning. I'm a light sleeper, so this kept me awake; however, it didn't bother my husband at all!
I should stress that these are intended as constructive comments, and that this should not be seen as anything other than a rave review. I hope I'll be able to go back before too long.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Travelocity, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Naya Gawana Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Novus Gawana Resort & Spa Bali Hotel Banyuwedang
- Novus Gawana Resort And Spa Bali
- Novus Gawana Hotel Bali
- Novus Gawana Resort Bali
- Naya Gawana Resort & Spa Bali/Banyuwedang