“Too out of the way; there are better locations to stay in Amed”

Ranked #18 of 90 Specialty Lodging in Amed
Reviewed September 2, 2009

+ Their "Cafe Garam" had good food
+ pool was fine

= the room was fine - pleasantly decorated
= there was a dive center next door but we didn't use it as we had planned to go with EuroDive in Amed

- Little bit too quiet location; nothing much within walking distance
- beach not pretty and not good for swimming or snorkelling (unlike all the other beaches in Amed area which have spectacular snorkelling)
- 10 mins walk to nearest warung (restaurant)
- the grounds are a bit bare - new bungalows being built
- no fridge in room
- the water was not very hot (it was warned that they use an eco-friendly heating system which can result in not so warm water)
- there was no internet, at least no PCs available and none nearby; we didn't have a laptop so didn't ask about wireless but I didn't see it advertised or anyone using a laptop
- no in room-safe or at reception; on request they stored our passports in their office safe

Overall impression is that this is too out of the way, and without own transport there is really nothing to do. While there was nothing technically wrong with our stay there, we cut it short to move to the Coral View Villas a few km away in Lipah (the main center of Amed) - while Lipah is still very quiet it has some restaurants and is where our dive center was located. We were happier at the Coral View Villas (I can't find it on TripAdvisor).

I also want to add that there are really poor but very friendly beach-children, who were enthusiastic to speak their little English with us and try to sell us their very pretty hand-decorated salt-baskets which (they said, and we believe) benefit their school.

We didn't have any negative experience with staff as reported in other reviews.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
I Nyoman S, Manajer at Hotel Uyah Amed & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2016

Dear fter
Warm greetings from Hotel Uyah Amed!
First and foremost, thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay experience. I noticed that we failed to meet your expectations in certain aspects of your recent stay stay with us. While we strive to maintain the highest customer satisfaction standards, monitoring our effectiveness can be a challenge at times. I have noted your observations and recommendations for improvements in our service standards.
Please be assured that I will coordinate the plans for these enhancements with the respective team members. We seek for your patience and understanding as the recommendations may require time to be implemented.
Once again, we apologize for the inconvenience caused and we look forward to welcoming you back at any of our serviced residences. Happy new year 2017

Thank you.
Yours sincerely

Reviewed August 24, 2009

Stayed here with my wife for 4 nights and had a great time. Very basic accommodation but clean and pleasant rooms. Staff all very friendly. My only negative is that they didnt provide any drinking water in the rooms and the cooling system is very mild...Great house reef for muck diving though!!!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mstclaire

Dear mstclaire,
Thank you for staying with us and for your kind review and recommendation.
We are delighted to note that you had a pleasant experience on that your stay with us; and appreciate your valuable feedback on our rooms and amenities as well as our services and food offerings. I noticed that we failed to meet your expectations in certain aspects of your recent stay stay with us.
Thank you once again for your review and for your patronage and we are looking forward to welcoming you on your next stay with us.
with kindest regards,

Reviewed June 1, 2009

I booked a dive/room package here after a few emails. My package was for A/C room, breakfasts, open water and advanced open water PADI courses and dive gear. I thought the overall package price was very reasonable. I arranged with the hotel for airport transfers too - it was about 3 hours drive from Denapasar.

The hotel is right at the beginning of Amed as you come in on the road. Not much else near the hotel, but you can get a ride (or rent a motorbike from one of the staff) in to the busier parts of town. Amed is a lovely village, but very poor. If you want nightlife - this is not the place. There are nice restaurants and food stands along the road, and lots of nice people. Many young children trying to sell local sea salt in lovely little baskets - the salt is really very good, I should have brought back more. The hotel encourages a local woman to make traditional salt above the beach in front of the hotel.

I enjoyed the food at the hotel's restaurant. The restaurant has a roof, but the sides are open air - one side facing the beach and the other the road. There was a pool table or two for those so inclined. Good Indonesian selections - I didn't try anything else. Fresh caught and grilled fish was available almost every day for evening meals, very nice! Staff was friendly as was the owner.

My room was simple and clean. The bed was comfortable. Fairly large room. Bathroom was also clean. Both the A/C and the eco cooling worked well, but I needed the A/C most of the time I was in the room. Room was fairly simple 4 post bed in the bedroom, a chair, and a simple closet/shelf unit. I didn't need any more - was tired after diving every day and went straight to sleep around sunset :) No TV. The room probably would have been a bit dark had I spent much time in it. There was a small porch out front with a chair - nice place to read.

The pool is very small - but kept clean. The beach is not really a great swimming or lounging beach, but not bad or dirty either. Picturesque views of the local fishing boats along the beach.

There are the usual chickens & roosters in front of the hotel - the crowing starts early and continues through the day.

The dive shop is right next door - same owner I think. The instructor and his staff were excellent - friendly and knowledgeable. The diving was great too. The equipment was a bit worn and limited. I let them know before I got there that I wear a 2XL wetsuit and when I arrived I found they'd bought a new one as they didn't have that size already in the shop.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed June 1, 2009

We stayed at Hotel Uyah Amed for 7 days in April 2009 and had a great time. We booked an accommodation & dive package at a very reasonable rate and found our expectations more than satisfied. The bungalows are nicely designed and decorated, are very clean and have all sea view. Reading some other guest comments it seems that these people must have problems with their eyesight and/or have no clue on distances (several 100 meters away). The staff of the hotel and the dive guides are very friendly and help wherever they can. The food in the restaurant is very good and nicely presented. We had fantastic dives with new dive equipment provided by Amed Dive Center and enjoyed very much our sailing & diving trips with the sailing boat – something special and highly recommended! There were some construction works on a new, large pool but we did not feel disturbed by that. Well, we liked it very much and can highly recommend this place. With the new pool and SPA it will be even better and we will definitely come back.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank abcJakarta

Dear abcJakarta!
Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your recent stay at our Hotel Uyah Amed. We are glad to read that we could exceed your expectations and are looking forward to having you with us soon again at Hotel Uyah Amed in Amed! We will pass on your nice comments to our team, who will be delighted to hear that they are doing a good job, We really appreciate your comments regarding our customer service Our staff members take their roles in our industry very seriously and try, every day, to provide that quality customer service, that our guests expect.
Best greetings

Reviewed May 13, 2009

I booked this place on the internet for the easter holidays and was told a deposit was not necessary. Upon arrival, we realised the place was nothing like what was advertised on the net, we apologised and said we would not be staying. The male receptionist, stood by my car and recorded my rego details and proceded to tell me that he was Balinese, he beleived in karma, he questioned whether I beleived in karma, the conversation was threatening and highly agressive. He said that we MUST stay as he had vacated guests that morning, we explained that the hotel was not how it appeared on the internet, I asked him where is the TV? He said "In the restaurant", the same for the in room refrigerator. The ocean view, was a far away, with new bungalows being built and a muddy pile of sand and rubble to see with the water in the distance.
We basically had to escape, and we feared that we would have to leave Amed. We drove down the coast and viewed a few more places, then he and another man, confronted us in the main street, as we were parked on the roadside. They were loud and aggressive, and insistant that if we did not stay we would be followed. By this point I was in tears. My friend was on the phone to her Balinese husband, who could not calm the man either. My friends husband said to us, we must stay, or they will make big trouble for us. He was worried for us; as we were so far from Jimbaram. We had to be escorted back to the hotel, myself driving in tears, I could not believe when we returned tto the hotel that one of the rooms had already been rented, and a poorer substitute was offered. I would warn anyone considering staying in this place, it is highly overpriced, we found a far better luxury place the next day for less than half the price.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank penren08
Reviewed April 23, 2009

We were a couple of friends planning a nice and quiet easter holiday together. We had booked four rooms over internet at a high price, both for the country and the area itself. When we arrived, it proved that the place was not at all what we expected. The rooms should have aircon, TV and refridgerator, something that you would expect for that price level. They had neither. The rooms should have seaview, but in front of the tiny swimming pool (appearing large on their internet site) there was just a plain of gravel and a large construction site. You can barely see the ocean several hundreds of metres away. The whole place reminds you of a half finished construction site - thus no lush garden but rather a few trees in front of the pool. The rooms are clean albeit very dark and lie close to a busy road crossing through Amed.

When we pointed out our disappointment to the staff and that we did not want the rooms, the receptionist immediately became very aggressive, insulted us and wrote down our car plate number. When we continued through the village he and his even more aggressive friend threatened us and forced us to return to the resort. The whole thing was very scary and my friends got very upset and shaken. We left the first thing the next morning, having had our dream holiday completely ruined.

I would recommend all travellers to avoid this horrible place.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank asala75

Dear asala75,

I would like to personally apologize for the series of unfortunate incidences that you experienced during your stay with us. We continually try to do our very best for all of our guests, but unfortunately, sometimes we do fail. We will take action on your Comment to all of our staff.
I will look into each issue that you have noted, in an attempt to correct and improve our hotel policies.
Thank you again, and we look forward to seeing you at Amed
Regards,
With much appreciation,

Reviewed April 23, 2009

Let me start by saying, we are not fussy. We have stayed in various levels of accom including Inns / backpackers at times but this place was just awful.

We booked a week here with a scuba diving package and the moment we arrived we knew we had made a very big mistake. Although the room was ok, the resort was VERY rundown and quite dirty. "The Amed Dive Centre" ('shack') was very meidocre and unprofessional and we just did not feel comfortable putting our safety in their hands. The equipment was old and tatty. The staff were unwelcoming and looked at us like we were intruding on their social time. We have travelled to Bali many times and it was like we were on another planet at this hotel!

We promptly left the hotel (after they charged us one nights cancellation) and went to Tulamben Wreck Divers in Tulamben, a decision we did not regret as we think it would have been a huge mistake to stay at Hotel Uyah, let alone dive with them.

Their website is very professional and also very deceiving .. don't bother, go somewhere else.

Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple

Dear balis_magic,
Warm greetings from Hotel Uyah Amed!
Thank you.