“The perfect getaway from the crowds in Bali”

Life in Amed Boutique Hotel
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Amed
Manly, NSW, Australia
“The perfect getaway from the crowds in Bali”
Reviewed October 4, 2009

I was recommended to visit Amed by friends who live in Bali. I happened to stumble upon Life in Amed via the internet. Boy am I glad I did. A group of 15 school friends and I went to Life in Amed to celebrate my 50th birthday. We had been staying in Kuta...and just popped into Amed for a night or two. We wished we could have stayed much, much longer. Sarah and the staff at Life in Amed helped make my birthday party with my group of friends a day/night to remember. It's hard pleasing a crowd of 15...but we all thought our stay at Life in Amed absolutely made our holiday. Fabulous accomodation, food was fantastic (we had a Balinese feast for birthday dinner that was truly awesome) and staff most helpful and welcoming. Sarah even organised a band to play for us. We hung out by the pool, went snorkling (fantastic) and relaxed. I couldn't recommend Life in Amed highly enough. We all want to re-visit some time soon. Sue, Sydney NSW Australia

Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Perth
Reviewed September 18, 2009

My husband and 9yr daughter stayed here in July, and I've just been reading all these reviews and are amazed at what's coming through..

This is a village, not a 5 star tourist resort - where you don't get thousands of tourists, you are mixing with the locals in their day to day lifestyle, there are no markets no shopping arenas. We went to Amed purely to get away from the 'Resorts and Tourist areas in Kuta and alike - as we heard they had great snorkling!...And we were not disappointed - you walk directly outside (and yes majority of the sand is black/rocky - not unlike any other area along the bali coast) - but look for the white sand patch 20metres away and paddle over 2 metres of pebbles and you have got some of the best snorkling you'll ever see. It was an absolute treat! we then hired scooters from the staff and did our own scenic tour (very few cars around) and went to the Japanese Shipwreck which is only about 10mins from Life in Amed - the snorkling is just as good - AND SAFE.

The actual accomodation was great - you normally end up having all your meals there as windy roads and if you want a drink or two best to stay put and chat with the staff and fellow patrons. The bungalows are great, and very roomy - outdoor showers and very much traditional wherever possible (and with Sarah's touch!).

Yes you do hear the dogs and roosters when the fisherman go to leave in the morning - but where don't you in Bali! Sarah and the team will do anything to make your stay comfortable and enjoyable.

One thing you will get at Life in Amed - is personalised service, they will do their best to make sure your stay is as comfortable and enjoyable as possible (will even go to the markets for you to get that great big fish and cook it to your likings).

If your looking for great snorkling, want to do nothing, be within a village, feel safe with your children or have a chat with the locals then this place is for you!

Thoroughly recommend...irrespective off age or family!....

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank RosPerth
Seoul
Reviewed August 25, 2009

I don't understand why this place gets positive tripadvisor reviews. Our bungalow did not really have an ocean view, the pool was the size of the one at our residence, and lacked enough lounge chairs to accommodate all the families. The beach and water are less pleasant (more rocky beach with aggressive local men, murky water) than in the beach areas closer to the actual town of Amed. The hotel feels crowded and closed in, for a high concrete wall separates the compound from the beach. The worst aspect, however, was the extremely loud rock / techno music pounding from at least 7 am - 7 pm, so strong that one can even feel the vibrations on the beach, followed by the gangs of fighting dogs and roosters all night. I've lived in Bali previously and know about the roosters and dogs, but this was far louder than any other place I've stayed. I asked the staff since how long the neighbors have played music, and it is NOT a temporary situation, but has been an ongoing problem that the village has not been able to resolve. After one night I switched hotels to a much more central (and quiet and beautiful and less expensive) location, and found that the noise from the house adjacent to Life in Amed is notorious. The restaurant staff was pleasant and the food was decent, but the hotel manager was noticeably perturbed when I told her that my room did not come with any towels and that the curtain and its rod fell to the floor.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Intrpd
AmedBali, Owner at Life in Amed Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2009
To all my previous guests and future ones, I must clarify the issue that we have had with the neighbours living 50 meters from the hotel. They are a group of teenagers that when they have a party put there stereo on extremely loud, which in a rural setting can travel quite easily. I was at Life all of July and this wasn't an issue until one afternoon which is reported in another review. We tried approaching the boys and their parents first with our manager then the Head of the Village all was quiet until this guest came to Life in Amed mid August. We again held several meetings with the Head of the village then the Maksen whom is similar to the Mayor, sitting for hours, finally we had to get the police involved, I think they are too scared to do anything and this being the first week in September all is peaceful at Life.
We are in a fishing village in a newer area for Tourism, I built the first hotel and opened in 2004, it is beautiful, we have a lovely garden, a pool with 10 lounge chairs, yes in High season we get busy as so many guests like to have their family holidays in Bali. Sometimes you'll have the whole place to yourself. The beach is a mix of white and black sand one of the few, as most are rocky. We have abundant coral directly in front, in the middle of the beach is a sandy area perfect for entering and floating in the water, which as a higher salt content than the Red Sea so very healing. July/Aug being high season is Bali's winter, so a less humid time to travel, the beach is wide then and less so in other months. You can sit protected between the jukung boats and catch the rays, local children may stop by to collect shells with you. The tides are different at Full and New Moons, so the water may not be as peaceful for snorkling.
Yes Bali has many dogs, roosters and ceremonies, just because we are on their soil, we cannot change the daily rituals, I supply earplugs as I am a light sleeper too. I am working with the Bawa Organisation, we recently sterilized 16 dogs in our parking lot. I will be holding fundraisers and donating to this incredible service, to control the population of dogs and make their lives happier and healthier.
As has been suggested, I do not have a feud with the local people, we employ half our staff directly from the village, and send one teenager to college. If anyone would like to discuss Life in Amed with me please send an email through my website.
Our staff are wonderful, kind and attentive, I designed everything down to the Life bottles in the shower, Life is a work in progress , I take pride in making it one of the most beautiful resorts in Amed. I hope you will visit us or stay at another hotel and experience this unique area of Bali.
Paris
Reviewed August 10, 2009

This hotel is one of the cute hotel I ever visited.... All details are just perfect, decoration, colours, vegetation, statues etc....
If you want to come to Amed don't expect anything than relaxing, getting some rest, staying at the pool and diving if you want.... Think about having some cash before coming, the nearest cash dispenser is about 45 minutes away by car.....
This tiny hotel of 8 bungallows that look more like villas (on 2 floors) are really beautiful, absolutely brandt new (furnitures, decoration, area...) lot of Yellow, purple, pink colours everywhere, some violet and gold pillow on the floor at the restaurant with low tables just to have a drink... Even the door of your bungallow looks like a painting!!!! The room is huge on 2 floors, the semi outdoor bathroom is just perfect, the shower is beautiful & great.... The sense of all details is just beautiful...The pool is very small but very very nice and actually quiet, we were most of the time alone at the pool...(Fortunately because there was not lot of sunbeds around the pool...). The bungallows are directly around the pool so at the morning you just get up and get out of your bungallow to find this beautiful place with frangipani trees, balinese statues everywhere, vegetation and the beautiful & quiet pool....

Bad feed back, they say having their own private beach, it is on the beach but there is lot of fishers boats on the beach so no place, no way to stay there to get some rest, you can't use this beach it is not a beautiful beach.... Actually if you go to Amed it is not for the beach 'cause beaches overthere are really not nice...But the atmosphere of this little village is just peaceful and worth to be seeing....
There is lot of choice at the restaurant expect perhaps for the breakfast but you can have some extras (with fees but so so cheap!), but the food for the lunch (breakfast and drinks were good) are not amazing, normal food nothing special and small size.... You will prefer to have balinese food than international that was much better....
This is a charming hotel with a really beautiful soul.... I will definetly go back there and will tell friends to stay overthere....

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Little-Heidi
Rockingham
Reviewed July 26, 2009

We had a wonderful week at Life in Amed, two adults and a 10 year old boy, and would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a relaxed Balinese experience away from the rush and hassle of Kuta.

The hotel itself is very clean and well maintained with the most beautiful , well designed gardens for the space that they have, with many flowers. It is well set out, small villas facing the pool, the large villas facing the beach. Simple things pleased me like the repeated flower shape in the pebbles, The "Life in Amed" sarongs provided for by the pool, the zylophone's gentle tones occasionally through the day,the ylang ylang scent as we entered our villa.

Our villa was excellent, we had planned to upgrade to one of the larger villas, but on arrival found the smaller villa had plenty of room for us. The pool was actually bigger than expected - though still small, but big enough for our son to play in constantly (and for me to do small laps)! There are only fridges in the big villas, if you have anything that you need to keep cool you can keep it in the bar fridge - but there is not a lot of room. There are no tea and coffee making facilities, but there is room service and it is not expensive. The hot water is solar, and although it takes a few minutes to get to your room the showers were warm even in this, their "winter".

Do not expect abundant shopping, nightlife or absolute silence. Do expect, peacefulness, restfulness, good food, cleanliness and a glimpse of local life.

Life in Amed is in the middle of a fishing village (Lean), nestled in one of the small bays that make up Amed. There is a school nearby and it was delightful to see the children each morning. The food at Life in Amed's restaurant, and the restaurant up the hill (excellent views) is excellent (we never got sick), prices were good too – average $3-$5, unless choosing the specials eg. whole steamed Bali chicken (though this would stretch to 5 people with extra rice!).

The fishermen are up at 4.30 am which sets the dogs off, followed by the roosters. Reception will provide earplugs if you want them, but we quite enjoyed these sounds. Their wives do local massage which was excellent (about $8/9). They can do it by the pool or in your room. Alternately you can go to A-spa (free pickup and drop off- about 5 minutes away) which is more expensive, but where you can get the deluxe (foot massage and scrub, whole body scrub/massage, facial (fresh cucumber to finish, scented flower hot tub with tea!) for about $40. Note that they do not speak much English (or other languages), however hands and paper and pen go a long way, as does learning some Indonesian. During our stay, greeting locals with “Salamat pagi” gave us the gift of wonderful big smiles!

You can go fishing with the fishermen or get a lift to the wreck, but be aware that there is absolutely no safety equipment – they rely on each other for safety. My husband went fishing in the morning (about $20), caught nothing, but it was lovely to see the stars followed by the sunrise out at sea with all the wonderful traditional fishing boats.

We did a car tour. We loved the Water-palace , take your bathers for a swim there. When booking the vehicle ask for seatbelts in the back if you are fussy as not all cars have them.

A highlight was the bike tour with East Bali Bike Tours (eastbalibiketour@gmail.com) – from mountain to beach - only 2 months old! It did feel a bit expensive when we booked it, but I think it is cheaper than others around Bali and it was excellent (good value too when you think of 2 guides, two vehicles, transport, good bikes and helmets, lunch and a drink. Local food was pointed out and tasted as was places of interest. The easy route that we did resulted in the only sore muscles being those in my hands from pulling on the brakes! Again take your bathers as the last stop has a pool.

Overall a lovely holiday, and despite not usually returning somewhere that we have already been, there are still places we want to see in East Bali and things we want to do. We would stay at "Life" again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank Audra J
UK
Reviewed July 12, 2009

We spent three nights at 'Life' and loved the hotel. It's very professionally run with great rooms in private cottages with a mezzanine and outdoor bathrooms.

If you plan to go it may be best to check that there isn't a wedding in the vicinity as we were kept awake and pretty irritated by awful Indonesian house music day and night for two or three days. This is probably not the norm but, having said that, there were ear plugs provided in the room.

The hotel's restaurant is fine but not great but 'Sails' is just 15 minutes up the road with fantastic dishes on an infinity terrace overlooking the bay.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed June 26, 2009

Our group of parents, 2 kids and a grandma stayed in Life in Amed for 6 nights in June 2009, and it was a great holiday! We all slept in one cottage/villa. For the first 3 nights we had Ocean View Cottage, which is their smallest room type (the bigger ones were fully booked). For the last 3 nights we stayed in Paradiso Villa. Both were really, really nice: beautifully furnished and decorated as well as spotless clean. And you could really sense the Bali atmosphere in all the small details. We loved the "outdoor" bathrooms, too.
Paradiso is bigger than Ocean View, but I actually think that Ocean View is better value for money. After all, it was 60 dollars cheaper per night than Paradiso. We felt that Ocean View was roomy enough for us five, and it had a nice patio (Paradiso didn't really have one).

The resort garden and other premises are very well maintained. The place is just beautiful. Swimming pool is small but not too small, and, as everything else, it is pretty and clean. All members of the staff where extremely kind and helpful. They made some bookings for us (transportation, restaurant, dives etc.), and all our small questions and requests were dealt with quickly and friendly.

Accomodation price includes breakfast. Life in Amed has a breakfast menu with a couple of options from which you can choose every morning. Whatever you choose, your breakfast will be very light but relatively good (fruit salad, müsli and yogurt was our favorite). You can order some extras for an additional charge. We also had lunch and dinner at their restaurant several times. None of the dishes we tried were exceptionally great, but all of them were quite all right.

I also want to mention that when I made enquiries and reservations beforehand, all my emails and questions where answered very quickly, thouroughly and friendly. And when we had to prepare ourselves for some last minute changes because of one family member falling ill, our contact person in Life in Amed was really understanding and helpful. Also, while already staying in Life in Amed, we decided that it would be nice to spend our last night in Ubud instead of Amed. Life in Amed had no problem with this: we just changed our reservation and didn't have to pay for the night we didn't use. And their manager personally helped us find and choose a place to stay in Ubud.

The only negative thing I can say is that the locals are a bit too pushy as they try to sell their services (massage, fishing trips etc.). It's very hard to have a relaxing walk or rest on the beach, because people approach you all the time and keep insisting even though you tell them you are not interested in buying anything.
Also, the neighborhood dogs can be quite noisy at night, so do bring your earplugs if you are a light sleeper!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family