“Another excellent stay”

Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Amed
Paris
“Another excellent stay”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I discovered Anda Amed resort a couple of years ago and every time I go to Bali (usually twice a year) I go for at least 3 - 4 days to refresh and really enjoy the wonderful real part of Bali. This resort is just a little piece of heaven. Late last year I stopped there with very close friends and their 2 children for 9 days..... Everyone just loved it and want to go back again. There was so much for everyone to do from adults to the children and noone got bored. The food is fab also. The rooms are amazing and so private... I could go on but all I can say is try this place for yourself you will also love it.

They have 2 of the cutest mascots you could ever imagine.... now you have to go to find out who / what they are!!!

There is also an excellent spa just across the road...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Korean first
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed December 1, 2012

The area is beautiful and quiet, the amenities of the place are pretty good, and the employees at Anda Amed are great. Unfortunately, the owner is unreasonable in handling complaints and, more importantly, terribly rude. We will most definitely not stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank myfirstname m
Perth, Australia
Reviewed November 30, 2012

We went to Amed mainly to snorkel and that aspect of Amed was not to be missed. We did however have a few issues with this hotel.
1. We stayed in the very top room with as has been mentioned spectacular views, however it's a long way up and dark on wet rainy nights. (which it was when we were there). The view as also block by bushes that had not been trimmed.
2. It is on the wrong side of the road for snokeling. The people who own the boats as very kind and happy to help you down the hill to the water, but it is slippery on the track down.
3. No phone in the villa. This is a problem as it is a long way up and down when you need more water or something is missing.
4. The villa is not cheap compared to others in the area so small things like wifi and extra water should be included.

However the pool was nice, the saff friendly and the breakfast plentiful.
When we come again we will choose a property on the other side of the road as they are directly on the water.

Room Tip: If staying more than 2 days choose a room closer to the resturant
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rose B
Perth, Australia
Reviewed November 4, 2012

My only complaint was that I only spent one night at this fantastic resort. Perched on the high ground overlooked the water on the east coast of Bali, this resort has fantastic views. The bungalows are well spaced with wanding paths and only a slight climb up the hill. I normally don't swim much in hotel pools, but I couldn't resist a cocktail on the poolside and the views.

Staff were friendly and courteous - couldn't ask for much more.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank viatalium
Utrecht
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We stayed here for three nights. Service was really very friendly. We had great views from our room. The swimming pool is also terrific. Breakfast is top. indeed it is not very 2012 to charge for wifi. But 50.000 rupiah is not that much for the whole stay. To be honest for me it was more frustrating to realize that the wifi did not reach our room. Our family apartment was spacious, bathrooms were good. The beds are quiet hard. All in all a good stay and value for money.

Room Tip: choose one of two right above the swimming pool.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Nick J
Denpasar, Indonesia
Reviewed July 22, 2012

I write this while sipping a glass of white wine and gazing out on a million dollar view, pretending that I am on the balcony of my own private villa rather than a guest in a small hotel.

This is easy to do as, from the cushions I am lounging on, I cannot see any other rooms, only the reds, yellows and greens of tropical gardens and a hint of bright blue from the pool below. And, of course, the vast expanse of the ocean beyond, where only the occasional sail of a fishing boat disturbs the emptiness. I don't always wax so lyrical; maybe it's the wine!

We came to Amed for a few days to dive and explore the area and picked Anda Amed initially because of its location right in the middle of the series of bays and villages that dot the coastline. It is up on a headland: to the west are the busier tourist beaches, to the east you have sleepy fishing villages.

And we are really pleased with the choice we made. Quite apart from the afore-mentioned view, the B&B rate is a great deal for such a nice place, the staff are very friendly, the food is excellent, the rooms are large and the beds are super-comfortable. Oh, and a real bonus - just down the road from Anda Amed is a surprisingly well-equipped coffee lounge/grocery shop, enterprisingly called The Store, where the local expats gather and which has fast wi-fi, coffee, sandwiches, snacks and souvenirs.

Room Tip: The highest rooms are the quietest and have the best views.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank SimonandSofie
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 19, 2012

We didnt get off to the best start at Anda Amed.
We decided to leave Ubud early to escape the incessant rain, hoping for some respite!
This was a late booking and I sent an email first thing in the morning to make a reservation for the Spa package offer on their website.There was no reply for hours so we decided to take our chances and at around 2pm we left Ubud for Amed, as if Anda didnt work out we had the option of Palm Garden further round the coast in Lean bay as an option.

Our lovely driver rang ahead about an hour before we arrived as he knew the hotel.
They couldn’t acknowledge our email or the spa package he was referring to and just kept repeating that it was 70 euros per night.?!
When we arrived the 2 staff at the front desk,'still' knew nothing of the Spa package.Eventually they found it in a manual and then proceeded to charge the high season supplement for the 4 nights as their high season period ran to 10jan2012. Today was 9Jan. It didnt feel much like high season, being bang smack in the monsoon season & New year celebrations well out of the way.
A phone call later to the owner, who honoured the low season rate for the 9th of jan.

After sorting all of that out we then had to empty our purses to pay upfront.
I understand the reasons the owner has to enforce this and its a shame that the minority spoil the experience of checking in for the majority but what was clear to me,was the staff were not comfortable with explaining this.They did it almost forcefully as if they had been warned to be firm, and like they had an expectation of resisitance as a result of this request.

That said,as its not a large resort chain,and i assume a small privately owned business which would understandably feel the pain when losses have to be absorbed.
I notice it is highlighted in red that payment must be made upon arrival at the resort on the website so people have the option to cross Anda off their list if this doesnt sit right with you.

It turned out later, that my email had dropped in the owners junk inbox which couldn’t be helped, but upon reflection, i would have hoped when our driver rang ahead,mentioning the email & spa package, that the staff would have alerted the owner that customers were on their way and checked this out in advance of our arrrival. It might have avoided the uncomfortable check in and been a more welcoming check in.It wasnt the best first impression & i even condidered leaving and heading to the Palm garden but I appreciated this was a late booking and decided to give them a second chance.
The hospitality industry throws up challenges like this and its how they are dealt with that has the lasting impact.......
That out of the way the mood of the staff lifted immediately and we were allowed to choose between the available villas 5 and 7.We opted for villa 5 as it was still raining and by the time we reached the top, where villa 7 was, it was quite a treck uphill so villa 5 seemed like the best option.
The Villa was lovely,well co ordinated with a 4 poster bed and a lovely day bed area out front.I really liked the way the storage area for clothes was hidden from view behind the bed.
There was a small bed , built into the wall suitable only for a chilld.

The bathroom was huge with a large bathtub and separate shower.The bath tub was most welcome.The only downside was there wasnt enough Hot water for two when showeing so whoever went last, had a 'luke' warm experience,which in the dry season might not be an issue but we definately needed hot showers this january!
The design of the day bed area was undercover which is great for respite from the sun but when you are ‘praying’ for the sun to come out you have to move to the pool area because there is no option to enjoy the sunshine in your own private space.
The website enticed me to all the villas having 180degree sea view but that wasnt the case with villa 5, which had a limited view due to landscaping and cables.
We struggled with the mozzi net the for the first 2 nights unable to get it to completely cover us,we were not very adept at this one for some reason! We gave up, leaving a few gaps, ..but on our 3rd and final night we came back to a turned down bed, mozzi net expertly draped with no gaps! a chocolate and flower on the pillow!??
Not quite sure why we only had this 2 of 4 nights.? Good thing is, they provide a mozzi repellant plug in with refills and an aerosol spray. Some nice little touches like keeping the glasses cold in the fridge and a welcome drink to be enjoyed in your room when you arrive.

We shared the villa with some little guests who lived in the rafters,& who gave us our early morning call at around 5am and sometimes earlier in the night! But unfortunately as they were not toilet trained, they had stained the canvas on top of the 4 poster,which was a bit off putting as you were staring right up at it, i eventually had to ask the maid to remove the droppings collecting up there as it was starting to pong a bit, it hit you when you walked in the room.This is not a critism, we were in nature afterall,and im not adverse to picking up a few droppings off the floor, & was quite happy for them to share our ‘habitat’ but just a gentle reminder to address the issue and keep on top of it...maybe once cleaned up a plastic sheet would ease this problem of staining what otherwise was once pure white canvas....

The infinity pool was lovely and was framed either side by two gorgeous frangipani trees.There are power cables overhead which i guess cant be helped. Unfortuantely, the space here is not conducive to a peaceful haven as it looks out onto the main road of Bunutan as it extends to the lovely ocean panorama and can get quite noisy with bikes and trucks whirring past.Just something to bear in mind if you want total peace and quiet.
I couldnt help thinking the pool area would be more cared for in the dry season,the lovely gardens surrounding the villas were well tended but the pool area seemed to be overlooked.

The breakfasts were generous, varied and probably some of the best we had on our entire trip.They also offer a range of international teas which was welome as the standard bali tea is a bit bland.Another really great touch was the sticky straws to deter the flies as they were out in full force because of the heavy rains.It was very hard to have a relaxing breakfast but this did help some.The lady who served breakfast, i cant remember her name but she was so lovely and had such a beautiful heart and really looked after us.

We had dinner on our first night here and it was just ‘ok’, i had chicken liver pate which was really tasty but was served with just toast...no side salad or dressing.When the plate came out i was a bit taken aback as the restaurant is decked out so lovely and you expect the food presentation to reflect this.We both had the marlin for main course but unfortunately that was dry and overcooked.But the service was good and the staff were really lovely.
They have a huge library of copied dvds for evening entertainment and bless her Putu, the lady who seemed to be in charge of the day to day running, would say take a few with you incase some dont play.This was a real welcome treat to retire and watch a movie the only downside was the tv was on the small side and was difficult to see the screen properly from the bed as no other seating area.

Putu took care of our spa reservations, dinner reservations and any needs we had were met.She really is an assett to the resort.
I regret to say the Spa package didn't offer the value for money that i expected and was a big disappointment.
On paper we thought we were getting a cracking deal for 230euros for 3nights & 3 hours worth of spa packages.The package consists of a lulur and a foot point massage but you were able to change your treatments subject to the same value which we thought was really flexible.The value of the two treatments on offer was around 70usd per person.Bit niave of me really.We were in Bali where spa treatments are cheap as chips but i made allowance for the fact it must be a hotel spa so even at usd70 per person 3 hours is great value by western standards in a hotel. It turned out to be the local A spa in Bunutan who Anda use for treatments.This is basically a little reception, part covered, a tiny cuboard of a cloakroom to change and a bale out back with 2 tables side by side and an old looking corner bath. We opted for the Balinese and the Aromatherapy massage instead of the foot point massage for our first treatment. We were collected and dropped back off.The treatments took place side by side in the open air covered bale. I thought my massage was reasonable,but as you know treatments are only as good as the person administering them,it was not stand out and at $30 per treatment as advertised on their leaflet it was extremely expensive by balinese standards.My partner felt the same.We had experienced better massages in the back of shops.Unfortunately the next treatment was much worse.........
The young girl who did my massage/lulur really didnt want to be there, pehaps she was tired as she was pregnant. The massage was light, inconsistent, she missed bits out,kept disappearing leaving me not knowing what was going on. She did not feel like a trained massuse.After the massage and scrub my body temperature had dropped, it was now raining heavily, i nearly jumped out of my skin when yoghurt was applied,i started to shiver at the temperature.They then wanted us to get into a cold petal bath to finish our treatment!! We just quickly cold showered the yoghurt off and said we needed to leave to have a hot shower at the hotel.It couldnt have been any futher away from a lovely relaxing spa treament.....
I took the opportunity to give feedback back at Anda, but nothing was done about it.Such a disappointing experience. It made me think that when you chose to stay at a privately owned business they have less scope to win back customer confidence when things dont work out as expected. The reason Anda Amed was my first choice was because the Spa package looked so attractive.Being in Amed i didnt imagine there would be spas a plenty.So the spa package turned out to be a wash out for us.

On balance, Anda is a lovely place and we enjoyed our stay, the staff are also lovely.Perhaps a few improvements,training and re focusing may well give the experience we all would like to have when we leave our chosen accomodation, that of being really satisfied and wanting to return in a heart beat.
Would i stay again?, maybe, perhaps in the dry season but would try other places first.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple