“dont know what the hype is all about”
Review of Gusto Resto

Gusto Resto
Ranked #4 of 92 Restaurants in Amed
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A small restaurant with special meals and drinks in a friendly atmosphere. The location is in a sweet fishing-diving village on the eastern point of Bali. The delicious food, the amazing panorama and the homemade specialties are what we guarantee. The only place in the are where you find home made pasta and several other Italian dish. Free pick up service available.
NSW
“dont know what the hype is all about”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

My husband and I had dinner at Gustos, after reading fantastic reviews.
I have to say the only good thing about it was the complimentary bread, and the view, although the staff were attentive, the food was shocking.
I dont often write bad reviews unless totaly warrented.
i orgered chicken kiev with mashed potato, the chicken was realy dry, without any type of sauce, and the mash was unedible, the potato was asthough it was uncooked, and been pulped through a ricer, with mint through it, crunchy hard potato mash?
My husband had a pork that was supposed to be served with a pepper sauce and bacon, we still havent seen any bacon, and we think the sauce was under the meat somware? the meat was dry and unedible, and the rosted type of potatoes seemed like they had been reheated in the microwave. all in all we didnt eat our dinner , and the price wasnt on the cheap side.the staff asked why we didnt eat it, my husband was polite and told them we were full.

• Visited January 2014
Gusto R, Owner at Gusto Resto, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear chadsue,

Thanks for your effort to make us aware of our failure and your honest evaluation. After reading your comment first of all I would like to express appreciation for you to have mentioned how attentive our staff were, because I see them the same way and am very proud of their hard work. Most probably without their contribution we wouldn't have earned an average comment from you, as our food, that we served you, was shocking. Of course we all feel sorry that we couldn't meet your expectations but yet we are learning again.
Surprisingly to us you truly disliked two of our bestseller items, which we think we can do pretty well and the very same day these were ordered by other two tables as well and those customers were extremely happy with what they got but in your case simply everything went wrong except for the complimentary toast. Let me just respond with some facts on your presumptions to: you ordered Poulet a'la Kiev, which according to our description is a breaded and fried cutlet dish of boneless chicken breast pounded and rolled around garlic butter with herbs. This meal is served with some extra melted cheese on top but you are right it does not come with any kind of sauce unless you request it. I guess you were told by our waiter if you wish to have any extras just to let him know?
Your husband's choice was the Roast a'la Brasov, which is pork fillet strips with bacon in garlic and black pepper sauce. The bacon strips are cut thin and cooked together with the meat, if you haven't seen them, you still should have felt the taste of them. The sauce, that comes out from the ingredients while cooking is the sauce we serve with it. You are right again, it is normally underneath the meat as it is liquid and not a thick sauce at all, more watery.
At one point I must oppose you, where you are saying the parsley potatoes were reheated in the microwave. First they are cooked and roasted shortly afterwards and since our kitchen is wide open, anyone can see what is happening inside, as I am sure you were also concerned about it. The mashed potatoes are made with a potato ricer, that is also correct, we don't make it as soft as a puree not to have it glutinous but in your case it sounds like they were really uncooked. The mint in it was parsley again.
The exact price we charge for these dishes is less than 8 Euros in total, incl. sales tax but of course for an inedible meal any penny is pricy. That's why I am truly sad that your husband instead of warning us about these major mistakes chose to be polite. Our waiter took your plates back to the kitchen to show the leftovers to the chef but after tasting them he did not realize all the things you mentioned. The team members are ordered to do so anytime they think there was a problem but in your case it was easy to believe them you were full, because you didn't leave that big amount. Otherwise they don't charge you for a meal you don't eat.
You left with a bad taste in your mouth and most probably disappointed. As for every single person, who works in service business an unsatisfied customer is the worst thing can happen, we all would have been more than happy if you would have given us the chance to make it up for you or at least to try.
Our team are all aware of your opinion and in the future will put extra care into the preparation of the above mentioned.

Kind regards:

The Team of Gusto

• Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
“One of the best in Bali”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

We spontaneously stopped there and were initially hesitant because we were the only guests. But we were welcomed warmly by the owners and I tasted the best Opor Ayam I ever had in Indonesia. Prices are about the same as other restaurants in the area but the quality is much better than anwhere else! Although we went there on our second day as well, we did not try the European dishes but our European Amuse Gueule was delicious.

• Visited August 2013
Bali, Indonesia
“Fantastic”
Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

Walked into a gorgeous restaurant that felt like a lovely home. The owner was there to welcome us with a friendly smile. The service began with a free canapé of fresh home made bread and eggplant cream. I had the Goulash which was yummy and my friend had the crumbed chicken. Our kids also enjoyed their Indonesian choices. Dessert erupted with a chocolate volcano eruption. Happily recommend it.

Visited January 2014
Chicago, Illinois
“How lucky to find this Restaurant”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

how lucky to find this restaurant!
I decided at the last minute to go to the Amud areas to do some scuba diving, not to far from my condo was this lovely restaurant. I enjoyed the meals so much I went back 2 more times. The atmosphere, prices and food was spot on for me. Every dish I had was wonderful and I recommend you try the restaurant on your next stay.

• Visited November 2013
anywhere in the world
“Best food in Amed!”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

The owner is from hungary and he is a gracious host. Gusto both local and European cuisine, at sensible prices. The Goulash was very good, the chicken Kiev was excellent. The banoffee dessert was also delicious. Bruschetta had gone a little bit soggy, but flavours were nice.

Pleasant dining area, nice views over looking the sea, and it was conveniently close to our hotel (Puri Wirata).

The host kindly gave me a packet of Hungarian paprika to take home - very much appreciated, as good paprika is hard to come by in South East Asia!

If Gusto was in Seminyak I perhaps wouldnt rate it a "5". But it is not - this is Amed not Seminyak, and good international food is hard to come by in Amed. Reflected by the fact that the owner sources his meat from Sanur, not the local market. They are really making an effort to deliver delicious food, and for that they deserve a 5!

• Visited December 2013