“Very good dive course”

Ranked #1 of 8 Spas & Wellness in Amed
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Took a short freediving course - and made it to 17 meters (feet first) and 12 m (head first).

After 12 years of scubadiving I wanted to try going under without the equipment and had a very good course. The theoretics behind the breath holding (and impressive world records that were quoted). You get oxygen things on your fingers that show the urge to breathe is not due to oxygen - so you can ignore the feeling for a while.

Unfortunately I had trouble completing the course as I am unable to equalize my ears when I am inverted vertically - I can do it perfectly with my head upwards... go figure!
I did not complete the 2 day course in time, but the teacher let me have one extra outing with him the next day and I was able to go the minimum 10 meters "head first" . A big thanks for going the extra mile.

Some of the other students went all the way to 20 m with little effort - had I had more time I would have loved to try a few more days - and work-around my upside-down-equalization troubles.

The associated restaurant has som nice choices - but could be a bit cheaper.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

Cant recommend doing this enough! My partner and I did the 2 day course together. We both love the water, scuba dive, surf ect and my boyfriend already is quite good at freediving for spearing so he wasn't sure if he would get much out of the course but were happy to say we both learnt heaps and have improved our breath holds noticeably. Ive always been a little nervy about freediving and just wanted to be able to relax underwater and with our instructor Kwab's endless patience I made it to about 15m! 3 times better than I could do before! Im not a big fan of yoga but the yoga aspect was very relaxing pre dive and helped heaps and ive already noticed a huge difference in my snorkelling and am much more chilled out when held down by waves surfing. Kwab is a great and very professional teacher. Classes and right on the beach and only a short swim out the practice freediving. Also the food served at Apnestia is amazing!

Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

It was a great training! I was able to learn advanced techniques and how to apply them on real conditions.
I really look forward to come back for the level 2.
I must say that the most important part of the experience was our instructor Kwab. He was awesome and very professional on teaching and pushing our limits, but taking all the care to keep us safe and confident.
He motivated us all the time, but was always clear on telling what should be improved.
On the top of this all I must emphasize that the group I was part was really good to be with. We had different levels of skills but never had a competitive approach. Actuality we always motivated and complimented each other.
So if you like diving and are in Bali, don't miss the opportunity to participate on the trainings at Apneista.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

'Feel sensations in the body, the touch of water, the wind against the skin and the movement of the waves' - This is a quote from my Apneista Basic Manual from my free dive course in November this year. It is/was the BEST use of emergency money I have used to date!

Matthew was informative, encouraging, relaxed and really professional. There were 3 of us on the course, and one lady had difficulty equalizing...she was given the option to opt out, but through Matthews encouraging approach, she decided to stay and just practice static breath holds just under the surface. She started the course feeling somewhat anxious, and by the end of the two days was glowing with confidence. I was really impressed by the equal attention Matthew gave to the three of us (especially when one of us was just sitting under the water and not diving down). I loved the whole experience, the bliss you experience by relaxing completely, and listening to your body as you challenge your fears. I can hold my breath for much longer than my mind thinks, and found the process fascinating... diving down to 15m, holding the line, then seeing Matt signalling me to smile, which instantly relaxes your face (I was holding tension for sure)...and allows you to stay down a little longer. I also took the additional Yoga classes the DiveSchool offers which was great (very ok if you have not done yoga before either)...

I totally recommend Apeista - communication is great - professional - informative - challenging and transformative. I got my SS1 qualification, and am really looking forward to getting back there in 2014 to do my Advanced. In the meantime, I'm training in a murky lake in Auckland.... and each time I dive down and hold I can see hear my lessons, to relax, tuck my chin, smile...hold...I use the warm up technique that Matthew showed us in Amed.... and inbetween dives I visualise the clear waters of Amed and breath through my snorkel...in my Happy Place.

1  Thank Desireerose
Reviewed November 19, 2013

If you wanna have a really tranquil time, great fruitjuices and food AND want to learn how to freedive :) then thats the place to be. The Freediving & Yoga shop is placed in a beautiful bay in Amed and even just sitting there in the lovely cafe and reading a book is just great. But I strongly recommend you go there for Freediving. Matthew is a fantastic instructor and teaches you well. I felt very welcomed there and had a hard time leaving!! but as we "Austrians" say "I'll be back" haha...