“Great place Great people”

Apneista Freediving & Yoga
Ranked #1 of 8 Spas & Wellness in Amed
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Really thorough course held in a beautiful relaxed environment by top class people!! Well worth booking in. Thanks guys!!

1  Thank TobyMillwood

Reviewed June 1, 2013

I came to Amed with no intention of free diving. I had nearly drowned twice in my youth and a fear of the water had haunted me for over 35 years. I came to do the yoga. I met the team and seeing how professional and accomplished they were, and feeling relaxed around them - they are truly great guys - thought I may just dip my toe in the water. Well, well, well - I did it!! After an initial thorough education on the process including techniques for breathing and safety, with all the equipment supplied we headed out. I did it with a great friend of mine - this is a must with a buddy - and we continued to go out with the team. I got down to 15m and held my breath for 3mins 38secs. Amazing!!! The experience is life affecting and I do not have the words to translate its impact. Just do it - if I can, you can. I'm coming back!!!

1  Thank Lozza B
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I took the two day basic course in April 2013. I was planning to do it later in another company, but I'm so glad I decided to do it with Apneista. Matthew did a very thorough job in a short time to teach the basic principles on freediving, combined with effective open water training. In open water sessions we split to two groups with an assistant instructor and it allowed for a really good amount of dives in a short time. Even though I suffered from some equalizing problems, I slowly progressed so that I could do about 14 meters deep dive in the end. The improvement in breath hold time and equalizing speed was amazing, I never thought I could improve that much on such a short time. I am now totally hooked in freediving, so much that I now actually prefer freediving over scuba diving, which I have been doing for several years. There's a certain relaxed feeling and spirit to Apneista that you don't come across very often. This was by far the best experience on my trip to Bali.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

Freediving with Matt and the Apneista crew is mind-blowing, just amazing. I had no experience with freediving whatsoever - besides having watched "The Big Blue" years ago. I came along with friends who suggested to check out Apneista over the weekend. I love water sports such as surfing and snorkeling and I feel comfortable in the sea in general, but even if you don't, or especially if you don't but still want to give freediving a try: Apneista is the place to go. Matt gives you all the attention, trust and confidence you need to jump right in the water after you learned the basics about freediving, breathing techniques and did some stretching exercises in the morning. He guides you through perfectly and checkes in with you all the time to see if you are okay and gives advice where ever needed. Casual yet very professional. The school and their beautiful cafe is located in the pretty Jemeluk Bay in Amed which is also nice for snorkeling or just hanging out on the beach. As a meditator and yoga practitioner, I was immediately drawn to the spiritual approach of Apneista and their emphasis on a meditative state in the dive. I could take advantage of my knowledge from these spiritual disciples for freediving - which was surprising and fantastic - and truly enjoyed every single moment of the course. I will be back in Bali for sure, and I will definitely take time again for more awesome freediving experiences with Apneista! Thank you guys. You are awesome.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I'd always wanted to try freediving because it seemed to fit well with surfing, scuba diving, and other water sports I participate in. Before my Bali trip, I'd taken a one-day, pool-based SSI freediving course in California that covered some basic freediving concepts and techniques. Afterwards, I knew that I wanted to learn and do more with freediving, so I did some research on freediving schools in Bali to see if I could fit in some more training while I was there.

I decided to go with Apneista because their website gave me the impression that they were knowledgeable and passionate about freediving, and not just offering freediving training as part of a scuba diving operation. I'm very glad that I picked them, because Kristin, Matthew, Lisa, and the Apneista crew were helpful, supportive, fun, and downright wonderful from beginning to end.

The basic 2-day course was much more hands-on and comprehensive than the one I did in California - we went through theory the first morning, then did some breathing exercises and stretching and went right into freediving practice that afternoon. The next day included two freediving sessions, where we continued to work on technique and learned rescues. All of this took place in beautiful, idyllic Jemeluk Bay, which in itself is enough to make you forget about the outside world and tap into your inner calm.

Matthew was great about tailoring the course to each person's ability level and preferences instead of aiming for specific targets or goals. The two of us had plenty of opportunity to practice both in a group and one-on-one with an instructor. There was also a strong emphasis on using breath and focus to influence one's mental and physical state, which I've found to be applicable to far more than just freediving or water sports.

I highly recommend this course to anyone who wants to expand their horizons and personal limits and experience a whole new way of exploring the underwater world - even (or especially) if they're unfamiliar with what goes on beneath the surface.