“Feel being one with the sea”

Apneista Freediving & Yoga
Ranked #1 of 8 Spas & Wellness in Amed
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I arrived in apneista last september, by chance, looking for yoga classes. Met matt, chatted with him for a while about freediving. Since then I went back three times, last one for three full weeks. Every day has been freediving, with basic and advance course in between, yoga classes and chilling out in the Café they opened. Very good vibes in there.

It's not easy finding freediving courses, it's not easy finding a place so relaxed to try out and it's not easy to find a place to freedive in front of the training space, where you don't need to get a car or a boat to enjoy your freediving: you get the theory, you do some stretches before going in, you go in. So I consider myself very lucky for that.

Thank u very much, hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

As a surfer who wasn't to confident in bigger, faster and steeper waves I decided to do the basic course for surfers within my Lombok surftrip. I didn't had to many expectations as I tend to panic when I go under and can't breath but Matthew and Kwab made me feel comfortable and I loved it. I even extended my stay and will come back for further training in a few months.

After the freedive training I went back to Lombok for surfing and I had the best 2 weeks of surfing of my life. Even my surfcoaches were impressed with my progress which for sure came from the confidence I gained during the course. The setting of the place is beautiful and if you are lucky you can see some amazing sealife during the training.

Matthew, Kwab and Daniel are amazing teachers. And the girls who run the Apneista cafe are lovely and make delicious food and drinks. Of course I can't forgot Kirsten and Liza who make you feel welcome from the start and happy to share their passion for freediving. This group of people really make the place.

If thinking about doing a freedive course and want to escape the bussy Bali crowds than this is the place for sure!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I can't say enough about Apneista! I had never done free diving and I couldn't have picked a better place to learn. I had my instruction with Matt and he was not only thoroughly knowledgeable but he was so patient and stressed the importance of being calm and taking the time and listen to our bodies. He taught us the proper breathing techniques which are so integral to free diving. It was such an other worldly experience! The setting of the place is so nice, located in the best cove in Amed where the sea is so calm and beautiful. Great for snorkling too! Their yoga classes were also great, and the juice bar is the perfect way to end the day there. The atmosphere is so warm and inviting, you get a good vibe as soon as you walk in and it feels like family there. Although I didn't have class with Daniel, just in speaking with him you know that he also has so much experience and knowledge to share as an instructor. I'm so grateful I had the chance to free dive with them! I would do it again in a heart beat.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

This was my first experience learning how to free dive and had no idea what to expect. The course came highly recommended by a close friend so I decided to take it along with a visiting group of friends. I am extremely pleased with my experience, not just learning from Matthew, who is both knowledgeable and has a strong following of students, but the whole community of people associated with Apneista. What has left the biggest impression from my trip was the welcoming sense of family this group provides, and their collective passion for sharing this beautiful practice! This isn't a dive business like many that can be found on the island, this is a dedicated bunch of inspiring people who give you their complete focus. Every Apneista diver provided helpful tidbits to deepen my understanding and improve my diving simply through friendly conversation about personal experience in addition to time spent with them in the water. Matthew's emphasis is on a non competitive atmosphere, working at your own individual level and really connecting yourself to your breath, the water, and relaxing!! Extremely lovely and professional group of people. I would confidently recommend Apneista to anyone. My course group had people of mixed levels of comfort with swimming in the water. Kwab worked directly with a friend who had never put her head under water in the ocean, with amazing results! Benefits of free diving were unforeseen serenity and peace through the challenges of relaxing one's mind, plus added confidence and techniques for snorkeling!! I felt like a mermaid diving with the fishes! Not to mention the lovely staff working the cafe who provided us with delicious ginger tea and popcorn after dives, also Matthew's yoga classes which are specifically geared towards readying the body and mind for diving. It's really a complete package, so many thoughtful details beyond the actual training. Incredibly scenic location, great information, new friends and lasting memories. Definitely more than your money's worth here.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Don't hesitate to visit the team at Apneista! Whether rank beginner or experienced. For one thing everything is in one spot, no driving or boating to the dive site. Just stand up, put their (good) gear on, and walk 10m! Get out of Kuta and into laid back Amed! Secondly there is a genuine generosity, kindness and enthusiasm from the team that is so refreshing and kinda touching. The instruction is on comfy beanbags in the shade - not in some air conditioned bunker. So nice!

I visited for the two day course and I really appreciated the part owner/instructor Mathew's relation to yoga and breathing...after all, it's what it's all about and the pre-dive ritual really helped relax me plus give me some skills to use going forward. They will adapt to whatever the individuals limits are, some of us went on shallower lines where the bottom could be seen to be less intimidated and some on deeper lines. Good visibility.

When I had some ear trouble Mathew was concerned and went out of his way to assist in getting an ENT doc to drop by so my diving was not cut short.

Another thing I noticed was no lack of attention, our instructor went down on every single dive, and never took his eye off any of us. Trust me, a lot of instructors start getting lax after months or years, this discipline was impressive. When you are learning you want to know they've got your back!

The yoga in the evening was spot on as well to work out hidden stresses held in muscles.

This place has it all, but as usual it's the people who make it the best. Will be back.