“Beautiful world under water” 5 of 5 bubbles

Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Beautiful world under water”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

I was going to participate on the freediving course, but I need more attention than available in group.. I really appreciated Matthews honesty and how he tried to calm me. I ended up with a one day training, and I already achieved a lot during this short time, I was given tasks like breathing 57 times with my nose under water, I just loved it. Probably someone who is not so scared and with some previous water experience can do this easily, Matthew is there to assist you and give you tips on what to do. For me I just tried snorkelling and was amazed by the underwater world next to the Apneista school, never seen it before..
Later on I participated in yoga class, so nice with the sea and the organic shaped little yoga studio. Very good way to spend your days in Amed or finish your day with yoga..

Den Haag, Nederland
“Seaview yoga”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

I took a very relaxing yogalesson with the sound of the sea at the background. Just what I needed after a whole day of beautiful snorkeling in Amed!

Fremantle, Western Australia, Australia
“Great Training, Friendly Staff, Fantastic Location....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

I was a complete novice to Free diving but any nervousness was immediately put at ease by Matts training technique, his experience really shines through and a fun and non competitive attitude to training made for a great way to learn how to free dive.
The location is fabulous, straight out from the front of the building and your on the beach, with the reef right out in front of you in a sheltered bay, so no need for boat rides etc.
I would definitely recommend this to anyone interested in learning to free dive, I will certainly be visiting again in the near future.
The Yoga classes at the end of the day are a perfect compliment to the days diving, great training, friendly staff and a perfect location made for the best 5 days in Bali so far.......

Vancouver, Canada
96 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 158 helpful votes
“A unique combination of yoga and free diving”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

On a shaded quiet beach front location, Matthew begins his daily morning yoga class. The tempo is slow and focused. The 2 hour practice is a unique blend of Hatha, Iyengar and Pranayama.It is open to all and is both challenging to regulars and non- threatening to novices and first time practitioners.By the end of the session, one feels stretched, strengthened and relaxed. If you have taken classes in Ubud, this practice is an excellent extension of the fine quality found in their best studios. The experience is well worth a visit. But that is not all.

Matthew also offers a 2-3 day course in free-diving. Through the media of lectures, videos, breathing exercises and open water trials, I was given a unique chance to explore depths I have never ventured before. As a long time scuba diver with over 300 dives, I never contemplated the possibility of diving to depths of 20 meters with no tanks. I thought it was too difficult and far too scary. I was wrong. Matthew was a master instructor and he taught me invaluable lessons that not only opened the gateway to Apneista, but will serve me well in conquering my future challenges and adventures. With Matthew at your side, the voyage is safe, enjoyable and simply incomparable. Take the plunge, you will not regret it.

Visited July 2012
Perth, Australia
“Great freediving set up in Bali”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

I am a keen freediver and have travelled to many parts of the world searching for ideal places to dive. I'm normally looking for deep, warm water that is accessible from the shore with some nice coral or ideally a reef wall to play on. And of course it should be relatively easy to get to with affordable accommodation and living expenses.

Turns out Jemeluk/Amed, where Apneista is located, ticks all these boxes. So having a freedive school there made things even sweeter. It was great to talk to Matt about what was in the area suitable for freediving, and he helped us out with renting a line and equipment when we wanted to do something other than playing with the fish.

And the cream on the cake is the Apneista yoga school - I really enjoyed Matt's style which I felt was (unsurprisingly) very relevant to freediving, but also very enjoyable in its own right. And such a great place to do it in their lovely space right on the beach.

So if you're looking for a place to learn freediving and yoga, or want to recommend to a friend how to get into it, Apneista is a great place to come. I will return for sure.

Visited August 2012