“heavenly views” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Amed
Melbourne, Australia
“heavenly views”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stayed in the Blue Angel Oceanfront Suite for 2 nights, which was in the new section of the resort, right on the ocean. The villa was romantic and Amed is peaceful, so its the perfect couples hideaway. This new section (3 villas in 1 building) has its own pool and manicured gardens. The view from the villas is gorgeous - ocean for as far as you can see. It was stormy when we were there - the thunder and lightening coupled with the raw sound of the ocean was very exciting, especially since we were right on top of the ocean. The chef is wonderful - he made the best Balinese food I had while in Bali! The staff were very friendly and accommodating. Because of its location, you need to be mindful that if there is a heavy down poor of rain, it might take up to 2 hours for the road to clear, so allow adequate time if you are going to the airport.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Traveller204674

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

The room we had at the Blue Moon was a lovely big double sized room, with bathroom and mini bar and a lovely veranda overlooking the garden, pool and the ocean. The first morning my daughter and I were there, we jumped in the pool straight away and spent the whole day enjoying this peaceful place. The garden is lush and green and attentively tended, with frangipane trees infusing the air with their amazing smell. If hungry, we'd walk across the road to the main restaurant, where the experienced chef would prepare some of the tastier and fresh local recipes for us. The staff and owners of the Blue Moon are just incredible and, by the end of the first week there, we were feeling part of this big family! Children are really welcome here. Anything we needed was catered for, they even arranged tailored tours on the spot for us. We have left Amed feeling incredibly relaxed, recharged and knowing that we'll definitely be back there. I highly recommend trying out the nearby restaurants as well, as they all have their own specialities. Also, you can experience some of the best reflexology treatments, which can either be arranged in your room, or you at the nearby wellness centre. Oh, and let's not forget about the great frozen margaritas, made with fresh lemons and limes! All in all, an incredible holiday destination.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank mfaithful74
Bengaluru, India
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2011

Our overall experience at this hotel was below par. We had just come from Ubud where the service was outstanding. We didn't expect that same quality of course since this was a less expensive hotel, but even at this price point we were disappointed. The service did not seem professional at all. The staff was friendly but did seem like they had too little experience and there wasn't any senior staff member around to guide them. They weren't friendly at first but after a little while they seemed to warm up to us. They did arrange a cake at my request for my husband's birthday at midnight which was sweet.
The location is a big problem. It's too far from were the cafes are and what little nightlife there is in Amed.

A staff member did drop us (one by one) on his little scooter so that was nice. It does tend to be a bit noisy since the hotel is bang on the Amed main road. The views are wonderful though. But in the end, not a place we'd stay in again for sure.

The rooms, though clean and tidy, had lots of centipedes crawling around on the floor, some even falling from the ceiling! It completely ruined our stay and we were constantly having to remove them from the room. We found that they were pretty much all over the hotel, including the restaurant and even the swimming pool!!

Would not recommend this hotel to stay in at Amed, you'll be better off at a resort closer to the other hotels.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank DeepBlueNitz
Amed, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2011

For 23 years I have been going to Bali & on average 2 to 3 times each year...guess I've been there a few times!
Amed is a million miles away from the ugliness of touristy Bali AKA the Kuta/Legian strip...each to their own, if Kuta is for you then wonderful.....but would you dare venture into the real Bali?
I've stayed at Blue Moon 3 times now....twice during one visit to Bali...a couple of weeks ago actually. My very first stay was a few years back....way too much time lapsed between visits....on that first stay I called the Penthouse home for a week....FANTASTIC all round, not a fault!
So now I have just got back from # 2 & # 3 stays....3 nights from 15th May, back to ugly Kuta for 2 nights which I couldn't avoid! Returning to Blue Moon on 20th May for another 3 nights which turned into 4....I kinda think that says it all.
I was lucky enough to stay in two of the newly completed ocean front villas both of which are tastefully decorated, private & very clean, I congratulate the housekeeping staff.
Since my first visit to Blue Moon the property has grown considerably with 3 wonderful pools now & additional villas behind the original property.
The quality of food was exceptional, very fresh & of very high quality. The service & attention to detail was far superior than many 5 star establishments where I have stayed. There is a real sense of ownership among the staff, they actually care!
Over the years I have recommended Blue Moon to many friends & family, my son & his girlfriend stayed a couple of years ago....I have not heard one negative remark from any of those friends & family whom took my advice & stayed....some have been back even....that kinda says it all too!
They have wonderful drivers to get you to & from Amed.....Ketut was such a great kid & drove very well share lots of information along the way.
During a stay you can rent bikes or get one of the drivers to take you to surrounding towns or simply walk which was my preference....walking many miles each day gave me wonderful opportunities to get to know the locals & enjoy their company. I did not do the East Bali bike tour though, I do regret this however I am saving it for my next visit.
The nearby beaches offer wonderful snorkling or diving or just to simply swim...they are very safe with crystal clear water.
Sue & Komang John have certainly created a magical place & in many ways very unique. They & indeed their team of wonderful staff innocently capture quintessential Bali. You can not help but feel part of their family which is so very much the Balinese way....the real way......
I read a negative post about the annoyance of farming close by....well hello...this is the real Bali....full of truly beautiful people going about their day to day life & tending to their family's needs.....If you are looking for tourist hype, cheap t.shirts, authentic copy watches, loud duff duff music, plastic coated tourism then Amed is not for you & neither is Blue Moon.
See you next time Blue Moon, don't change a thing!

• Stayed May 2011
3 Thank Impulsive84848
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2011

We are a couple in our fifties and have been to Bali many times before. I once travelled through the Amed area but this was the first time we stayed over.
Our first stop this time around was Ubud, and we made sure we made a special day trip to get to Amed, taking in some of the sights on the way. We stayed at the Blue Moon Villas (in Aas, which sits on the outer edges of Amed) for 7 days. We had a penthouse room with an outdoor shower. For anyone travelling in the tropics in the monsoon season: treat yourself to a shower under a tropical downpour. Something to tell the grandkids about!!
We also enjoyed sitting on the balcony, watching the fishermen return to the beach in boats with sails that reminded of exotic tropical fish. It is possible to arrange for a private snorkelling or diving trip with one of the guys - easy to arrange through the friendly staff at Blue Moon.
We are unashamed foodies, and the food and drink had me reaching for my camera. Room service was a treat which we indulged in on a few occasions. What is better than some authentic Balinese dishes washed down with an ice cold Bintang? :)
We received personalised, friendly service from all staff, which included chats to the chef to discuss a favourite dish (Rujak). Much to our delight it appeared on the menu the next day!
I indulged in reading, used the pools and had a luxury spa treatment and also some private massages in my room. If you want value for money I would highly recommend the private massage. Hubbie also had massages and he ventured into the water for some easy snorkelling. He reported that he felt like he crawled into a TV program, that he never realised that you could see such a variety of coral fish so close to the beach. Regardless to say, he is currently buffing up on his snorkelling skills for the return trip!!
Amed is the place to go to to just get a way from everything... no vendors, stalls or anything remotely touristy about it. It is a rural village and if farm smells offend, rather stay away. I hasten to add that this is not noticable at the Blue Moon, as it's elevated position means that it sits above it all.
On the other hand, if you always use transport you may never even notice.... not the smells, and probably not the friendly locals who go about their daily lives around you.
This is one for the return list.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank balifoodie
Bateau Bay, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2011

We stayed 3 nights from the 17th March 2011 with 2 young children, we stayed in the Blue Paradise Garden Suite with outdoor shower & bath. My husband and I loved this place, just beautiful!!!
Large room, very clean, awesome views. Watched the sunrise every morning for bed.
Food at the resturant was very nice, friendly service, abit pricy but you are 4 hours drive from Kuta.
Amed is a great place to go to just to relax, dive, snorkel. Blue Moon Villas is just the best spot.....
3 nights were enough though with kids under the age of 4. Lucky 1 day the manager had his there so the girls could play with them and our kids love the beach. I think in general Amed is more suited for couples, older people or families with older children.
We would definitely stay there again kids less though..

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Cassandra F
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2011

I've read about Blue Moon in a travel mag and have wanted to visit ever since. The room was beautiful with an outdoor shower and balcony overlooking the ocean. Its not the easiest place to visit, but they do offer rides from the airport. We hired a private driver for 700k rph. The infinity pools are rather small. We enjoyed their restaurant. The staff is wonderful but it was overpriced. There is a Japanese fusion restaurant just up the street which is far more reasonable. We don't dive so there wasn't much for us to do. Walking about is difficult since the streets are narrow. The town itself is spread out which limits your dining choices. Its beautiful but we won't return. Ubud is a better alternative

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple