“Tranquility” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Katana Villa

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Amed
Katana Villa
Ranked #18 of 85 Specialty Lodging in Amed
India
“Tranquility”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

I recently spent a week at Katana Villa with 7 friends and had the most magical time.
Very artistically decorated, it felt more like I was visiting a friends house rather than a vacation rental. Each room is unique and inspiring, beautiful modern kitchen and comfy living room. The swimming pool and the views were undoubtedly the winners. The hillside location was most ideallic for breezy days and wonderful views of the sunrise over the ocean.
And undoubtedly the hospitality of the staff completed a wonderful stay. We often joked at B'fast that we didn't know we were checking into the Ritz. Excellent warm and gracious service at all times.
I'll surely be back!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

I had a wonderful time in Bali when I stayed there for 6 weeks back in 2011, and the highlight of the time I spent there was Katana Villa. The accommodations are unmatched, and the privacy of the grounds is simply delightful. Not to mention that Katana has an amazing energy that you can feel has been nurtured and embraced over the years, all of which come to together to make for an amazing stay.

I loved the open-plan approach that the place has been designed around, and who can argue with a pool that has a water slide and a waterfall! I remember each evening I spent there well, and will never forget the delightful lull of the geckos and other sounds of the jungle that permeate the quieter moments you'll relish at Katana Villa.

Amed, the town in which Katana Villa is located, is also very peaceful and relaxing. This is the perfect place to get away from some of the hustle and bustle of the busier parts of Bali and experience the true essence of this magical island.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
LeslieCarleton, Owner at Katana Villa, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Ahhh, yes, you were one of our first visitors. As I remember you were traveling the world! It was a pleasure to have you and thank you so much for all the amazing photos you gave us, which we have been using in our albums and on our facebook page. I would also like to thank you for sorting out all our TV cables!! We certainly hope you will return again one day ...Katana will be waiting for you with open arms! Cheers!
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

I visited Katana Villa last year in 2011, and the feeling I had when I first walked in is still so vivid in my mind. The feeling was magic.
I was surprised how the energy at Katana Villa made me feel. Everything was put together with so much thought and care... with so much attention to detail, colors, art placement, architecture and decor. I use Feng Shui in my own home. So, when I saw how the owner Leslie Carleton used Fang Shui throughout the Villa and garden, I was impressed. The feeling there is healing and calming, and from what I have heard from others that have visited after me, this energy has grown even more.
I also enjoyed very much the movement and sounds of the water cascades, fish & turtle ponds. She even has silver cutlery, which gives a touch of class each morning for breakfast. By the way, I highly recommend the pancakes. Normally the pancakes in Bali are like rock mixed with rubber, but at Katana the pancakes are more in the French style; thin and light with a pinch of almond. (I ate too many!)
I slept in the Moon Bungalow and found it was quite romantic and tranquil. I enjoyed the bath in the outdoor bathroom with a frog as the spout! If you take a bath, be sure to ask the staff to boil up a couple pots of water to add to your tub because the hot water tank is not large enough to fill a full tub. Or, you can just take a cooling bath instead.
My friends stayed in the Master Suite, where we all sat together in the late afternoons on the upper deck to have our tea or play a game of chess while we enjoyed the view. And even though none of us slept in the family suite, they kept the door unlocked, so we could go in and enjoy that space any time we wanted. They honestly did whatever they could to make us feel totally at home. I particularly enjoyed the pets. But Shuto the monkey is the one that won my heart. I was told that he is not keen on women and is unpredictable so they keep him away from the guests, but in my case for some reason he fell head over heels for me and I was fortunate the owner Leslie was in town at that time, so I was allowed to interact and swim with Shuto, which I understand now is a rare experience for women especially. Funny story; he was quite cheeky in the pool!! He kept going underwater to untie my swimsuit top and removing it, and then he would come up laughing! Embarrassing indeed!

While in Amed, I recommend taking a scooter ride along the coast. I did that a few times and truly enjoyed it. If you cannot drive one (like me), you can ask Wayan to escort you. Wayan and his wife Iluh are unbelievable. They took such great care of us while we were there... and I still think about them fondly. I also enjoyed my visits with the beautiful staff that lives in the Tower. (Iluh, Made and Ana Eka). My experience at katana Villa is a memory for a lifetime.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank rubijw
The katana Staff still think of you often, as a matter of fact, we now turn our bananas in the right direction when we place it on the counter top or hang them on the wall.... thanks to YOU for teaching us how to prevent bruising... you were an excellent teacher for anything in the kitchen! I was also blessed to have met you during your stay here and have since become friends. Shuto the monkey certainly did enjoy undressing you in the pool!! That was so funny!! Thanks for taking the time to write such a lovely review... I know you will return one day - Singapore is so close!!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

Bali is already a spectacular getaway in itself. And honestly, it is filled with excellent accommodation with superior customer service anywhere you go, but Katana villa should be marked as the most special. We stayed in Bali for six weeks and spent a week at the Villa and it was definitely the highlight of the trip. It's such a special place where you get to relax and enjoy the quite paradise like solitude that westerners imagine Bali to be. It's surrounded by stunning jungle and rice terraces, and the crystal clear blue waters are right outside your front door. And then there is the villa itself! You could stay there and that would be perfection alone. It's an amazing indoor/outdoor set-up that lends to the beauty of the villa and the surrounding natural environment. There's a pool WITH a water slide AND a cave and is pretty much your own little adventure - whether you have kids to splash around with, you are having a party with friends, or you need that perfect private romantic vacation. This is the place. Finally, there is the staff - that couldn't be more hospitable and kind. They are courteous and fun when you need them, and take care of everything as if they weren't even there. We actually became great friends with one, who took us to his native village for a special ceremony and showed us around the jungle behind the house on a great adventure (he was barefoot). It was both the true Balinese experience we were hoping for but couldn't find in the bigger urban areas that our overcrowded with tourism (but still beautiful) and the luxurious tropical luxury we were hoping for. I can't wait to return!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great, but I do prefer the one above the main house as it has excellent views off...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Morgan D
Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review! Every review really does matter to help us get seen. I must say it was a pleasure to have you and we certainly look forward to your return! And offer a 10% discount to all of our returning visitors.
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012

I stayed at Katana Villa with my husband, my 2 daughters (2 and 4 years old) and my parents for 4 days. We all loved the place! It is really perfect for family with kids.It is a very unique villa, which makes you feel home! We enjoyed the pool (and the slide!) as well as the beach (10 min walk) which is very clean near the villa. The manager, Made, is adorable! She brought us around (she knows all the best places in Amed!) and we ate at her delicious restaurant (5 min drive from the villa). Although you can also take your meals at the villa (they can deliver the food!), this restaurant has an incredible view and is such a wonderful and peaceful place! Made's children are very sweet, and my daughters enjoyed playing with them in the evening! Everything was really perfect! Thank you so much Leslie and Made for these wonderful memories!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
, Owner at Katana Villa, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
It was so nice for me to read your words of praise for Made Sani, her children, and the Katana staff! Because honestly, the magic of Katana Villa is not all in the grounds and unique design, it is also my manager and staff as you mentioned that take such great care of our guests and also manage everything when I am not there. They deserve praise and credit for their work and also for the joy they put into what they do. Thank you for appreciating them so much! We sincerely hope to see you again one day!
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2012

I spent three days with my family - a group of 5 people - in Katana back in Aug 2011. We had rather high expectation before we reach there with all the pictures/video online, but Katana surprise us with every little detail. Till the day we left, I still find some amazing corners that we never explorer. It's like an art lounge!!

And most of all, it fits the needs of all ages. I am so pleased and proud that my parents enjoyed it deeply. They so loved the pool and the kitchen, and the colourful gardening... I am visiting my parents now and they are still sharing the pleasent experiences with their friends and selling it as the one of the best thing for Bali (We did enjoy bali as a whole as well :)

On the 2nd day Warun, the housekeeper ( i hope i spelled his name corret) brought us to his owner village on a scooter trip, and showed us around the rice field, houses, and served the home made coffee and we even bought a chicken from one of his neighbour, it was so much fun!! We would had bought a whole pig if we could stay longer!!

There are so many to mention, but i just want to highlight that though katana is on the remote east amed, but it's easy accessiable, around 2-3 hours drive from airport, so do not hesitate to explore it. The kitchen is free to use, so for those who are not easily adaptable to local foods, self-cooked food will be the primary choise, and the grocery store is just 5 mins drive away.

And Leslie, though I did not meet your in person, thanks for making katana such a wonderful place to stay and thanks for all the arrangments for me and my family. I thought i would have left a message back in Aug, but just realise i missed it out :( I will definitely go back!!

Room Tip: All room have it's own features, but if you love to see sun rise as the first thing when you ope...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
, Owner at Katana Villa, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
As I remember our staff truly enjoyed your stay as well! And I know what you mean about the sunrise. What a great experience to see first thing in the morning... and each morning it is another spectacular design of colors across the sky!
We hope to see you again ! Singapore is only a hop away!
Kind regards from all of us at Katana Villa!
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2012

After over 4 months of intensive travelling around Asia, I was lucky enough to treat myself to a few nights of well needed pampered rest and relaxation and Katana Villa truly delivered. Having only three ornately decorated rooms that can appear reminiscing of a Bali art museum, this resort came more across to me as a delightful home stay from Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous. The staff are incredibly friendly and helpful, catering to me with delicious food, drink, transportation, and any inquiries I had of activities in the area. The location is perfectly centred in Amed and close to restaurants, diving and snorkelling as well as a place to head off on a fast boat to the Gili Islands. It is not surprising for me to hear that there are guests that return regularly to this bit of Bali paradise each year. I hope to someday be one on that list as well.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
LeslieCarleton, Owner at Katana Villa, responded to this review, March 14, 2012
It is rare when we get solo travelers since Katana is so big - but when it happens we are always pleased. We look forward to see you again - and next time bring some friends!! Thanks a lot for the nice review and photo.... we always appreciate them !