“Katana is the only thing we talked about Bali”
Review of Katana Villa

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Amed
Katana Villa
Ranked #24 of 86 Specialty Lodging in Amed
Singapore
“Katana is the only thing we talked about Bali”
Reviewed March 13, 2012

I spent three days with my family - a group of 5 people - in Katana back in Aug 2011. We had rather high expectation before we reach there with all the pictures/video online, but Katana surprise us with every little detail. Till the day we left, I still find some amazing corners that we never explorer. It's like an art lounge!!

And most of all, it fits the needs of all ages. I am so pleased and proud that my parents enjoyed it deeply. They so loved the pool and the kitchen, and the colourful gardening... I am visiting my parents now and they are still sharing the pleasent experiences with their friends and selling it as the one of the best thing for Bali (We did enjoy bali as a whole as well :)

On the 2nd day Warun, the housekeeper ( i hope i spelled his name corret) brought us to his owner village on a scooter trip, and showed us around the rice field, houses, and served the home made coffee and we even bought a chicken from one of his neighbour, it was so much fun!! We would had bought a whole pig if we could stay longer!!

There are so many to mention, but i just want to highlight that though katana is on the remote east amed, but it's easy accessiable, around 2-3 hours drive from airport, so do not hesitate to explore it. The kitchen is free to use, so for those who are not easily adaptable to local foods, self-cooked food will be the primary choise, and the grocery store is just 5 mins drive away.

And Leslie, though I did not meet your in person, thanks for making katana such a wonderful place to stay and thanks for all the arrangments for me and my family. I thought i would have left a message back in Aug, but just realise i missed it out :( I will definitely go back!!

Room Tip: All room have it's own features, but if you love to see sun rise as the first thing when you ope...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
, Owner at Katana Villa, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
As I remember our staff truly enjoyed your stay as well! And I know what you mean about the sunrise. What a great experience to see first thing in the morning... and each morning it is another spectacular design of colors across the sky!
We hope to see you again ! Singapore is only a hop away!
Kind regards from all of us at Katana Villa!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 5, 2012

After over 4 months of intensive travelling around Asia, I was lucky enough to treat myself to a few nights of well needed pampered rest and relaxation and Katana Villa truly delivered. Having only three ornately decorated rooms that can appear reminiscing of a Bali art museum, this resort came more across to me as a delightful home stay from Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous. The staff are incredibly friendly and helpful, catering to me with delicious food, drink, transportation, and any inquiries I had of activities in the area. The location is perfectly centred in Amed and close to restaurants, diving and snorkelling as well as a place to head off on a fast boat to the Gili Islands. It is not surprising for me to hear that there are guests that return regularly to this bit of Bali paradise each year. I hope to someday be one on that list as well.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
LeslieCarleton, Owner at Katana Villa, responded to this review, March 14, 2012
It is rare when we get solo travelers since Katana is so big - but when it happens we are always pleased. We look forward to see you again - and next time bring some friends!! Thanks a lot for the nice review and photo.... we always appreciate them !
Perth, Australia
Reviewed March 4, 2012

WOW What a fabulous place Katana Villa is, the place is magical, views of the mountains and the ocean are breathtaking! The facilities are top notch and you are really made to feel at home. The pool and grotto or cubby as our 2 yr old called it is amazing and then there's the water slide! Leslie is such a pleasure to deal with, she is so friendly and helpful and responded quickly to all of my questions. The staff are all wonderful and were happy to help whenever they could. We stayed for 7 nights and had slipped into ultra relaxed holiday mode in record time (just a couple of days) We would love to come back but next time for a couple of weeks.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
LeslieCarleton, Owner at Katana Villa, responded to this review, March 14, 2012
Thanks! One would think a hidden pool grotto (or cubby) would be romantic...but ours is also exciting for children to explore! We are glad you enjoyed it and we look forward to having you back!
chicago
Reviewed January 27, 2012

What an enchanting jewel box Leslie created at Katana. I had fairly high
expectations after looking at the website, but nothing could have prepared
me for the explosion of creativity.

On my first morning, with my eyes full of dream dust, I made myself a cup
of tea and spent an hour or so snooping around, taking it all in.
Everywhere I looked I found the most magical details, some strong and bold,
demanding your attention, others so subtle and delicate you have to seek
them out, like buried treasure.

The house is fabulous, but it is in the gardens that everything really
comes together, and at the heart of your garden is water... water
everywhere; bubbling out of urns, trickling down walls, shooting playfully
out of grotesque faces into lazy pools where turtles and fish hide in the
shade. After lunch i sat at the pools edge, closed my eyes and just
listened for a
while. Each fountain joined in with it's neighbour, merged together with
the soft twittering of birds, and transported me, suspended above this
garden of eden.

Anyone can hire an Architect and throw money at a house, but this rarely
succeeds. The thing that makes Katana so special is that Leslie took the
time to dream, time to experiment, try things, change things, and had a bit of
fun. These, I believe, are the foundations of true creativity and the key
to her success.

Katana is the vision of a child, realised with the patience of an adult.
It's a delicious combination and provides a welcome relief from
this sterilized world of flat packs and concrete boxes.

With much gratitude and admiration, I highly recommend Katana Villa…

Room Tip: they are all good
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank kent5549
LeslieCarleton, Owner at Katana Villa, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Reading this review brought tears to my eyes ... if fact I did respond right away but somehow it was never posted.... sorry about that! It is so true what you said about being the vision of a child with the patience of an adult because that is exactly how I felt while working with the architect, I was like a child in a playhouse with the opportunity to create whatever I wanted... so all my childhood fantasies came out and the architect (Etha) understood me well and realized my dreams for me... and voila! Katana was created. thank you for enjoying and appreciating it's unique qualities.
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed December 15, 2011

We stayed for a week at Katana Villa and found it was a wonderful island of respite. The villas are each full of artistic whimsical features that added to the joy of being there and the clean and well maintained rooms to the feeling of a luxurious vacation. The staff was so helpful and were able to take care of our crawling toddling baby while we ate breakfast. Our group included a young couple with a baby and two sets of grandparents, so we each had different needs. The staff prepared special meals for the baby and we ordered in from local restaurants at times. The mopeds were fun and handy to get to snorkel sites and to shop and go to restaurants. The swimming pool a great place to relax in the afternoon.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
LeslieCarleton, Owner at Katana Villa, responded to this review, January 6, 2012
It was such a joy to have your family with us. And now we have an elevated baby bed! Hopefully it will continue to be of good use! As for the staff at Katana Villa; they are simply the best!
martinez, california
Reviewed November 28, 2011

We stayed a week at Katana while diving and exploring the area and loved it. The staff were wonderful and went out of their way to provide the little extras that made our stay even more enjoyable. The motorscooters were super handy and a great way to get around town. Staying in Amed was so much nicer that our initial stop in Nusa Dua, the area is very relaxed and unpretentious. Good restuarants are a short walk or ride away and the diving and snorkeling in the area was superb. For divers one of the nicest features of Katana is the massage gazebo where you can get a post-dive massage in privacy. The other reviewers have summarized this place well, it is unlike any other and a perfect place to spend a relaxing vacation.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lisa94553
Australia
Reviewed October 27, 2011

Booking Katana ~

The wonderful owner of Katana (Leslie) was an absolute pleasure to deal with. Prompt warm emails returned , to work out our dates. Nothing was too much hassle. And after watching a "YouTube" tour of the villa, that Leslie takes you thru , it just wets you appetite , to want to stay there ! :)

Drove from SEMINYAK ~

Up to AMED. Great drive , stops on the way. Great scenery. Good photos taken.
Arrived AMED. Found Katana (up its steep drive way) tuck away , in a peaceful location.

Villa Decor ~

If you are wanting state of the art, clean lines , stainless steel , sterile , "cookie-cut" Villa , book somewhere else.!!!!!
"Katana" is wild ! Crazy , wonderfully mad, electric , funky, unique decor ! I adored it.Full of color, oranges, vermilion reds, turquoise,purples, yellows ! Insane. It has personality , its a blend of miss matched furniture & pieces collected along the way, by Leslie. And it all just marries togehter so well , as if it has been there forever ! It was like been on the of a set Tarzan & Jane movie. Its total fantasy. My kids loved it , as I did. Unique, only to, what is the magic of Katana.
But , all your 5 star comforts have not been forgotten. Big screen TVs, King comfy beds, cool linens, throw rugs (plenty), stunning, chic, luxury sofa (in the family suite ) my kids chilled out there watching DVDs.
Water pressure great in all showers, Hot water , plenty,
Staff ~
What do I say here !???~ Wayan we miss you already. Dear sweet , patient Wayan.
Special man. Loved having him quietly go about his jobs/duties at the villa. He was a pleasure to see every morning. Smiley face ,ready to 5 star serve our breakfast. Along with Made, Iloh,Eka.
And villa manageress , the charming, magnetic Made S., & her daughter Wenni. The whole crew there are , beyond words, wonderful.

The POOL~

OMG! It was like diving into a fresh mountain stream every morning. To start other day in paradise, roll out of bed & dive , naked ,into that pool . How I miss it!!!. With its quirky grotto, waterfall & slide !
Surrounded with water fountains & water sounds everywhere.

How I am missing my late nite Bintang, from the balcony of the mysterious Master Suite.
Looking out to sea where pretty diamonds danced on the ocean, underneath a dreamy, milky Bali moon.

To all at "Katana" & beautiful Leslie, my family wish you good Bali luck. Till we return . A big TerimaKash & lots of hugs :)

Maryanne & family (Australia)

Room Tip: Awesome bed in Master Suite
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank marquin59
LeslieCarleton, Owner at Katana Villa, responded to this review, November 3, 2011
Hi M, We loved reading your review. It is always a joy to read everyone's feelings during their time at Katana Villa. I wish I was there to meet you in person, although I must say that I do feel I know you well enough by now, as you express yourself very well in writing! Everyone speaks as highly of you as you do of them. It was a joy to have you and your kids with us! We look forward to your return, but next time I want to plan it (if we can) when I'm there also. I would love nothing more than to sit on that balcony with you, drinking a cold bintang and enjoying the beautiful ocean view! Cheers! L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amed
Bali Marina Villas
#6 of 86 in Amed
Kirana Homestay
Kirana Homestay
#1 of 86 in Amed

Been to Katana Villa? Share your experiences!