“great potential, poor management; certainly not a 4 star resort”

Arya Amed Beach Resort
Ranked #13 of 72 Amed B&B and Inns
Vancouver, Canada
“great potential, poor management; certainly not a 4 star resort”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We stayed 10 nights and had many different experiences; some great, some extremely disappointing, With wonderfully kept grounds, a select number of large villas with grand and generous outdoor bathrooms and a gracious swimming pool area tucked by the sea, the hotel has the potential of being among the best resorts in Amed. Its location close to the centre adds to its allure. It unfortunately has some critical weaknesses. In the first instance it would benefit from a restaurant upgrade; a lovely setting is just not matched by a creative menu and cuisine. The breakfast is adequate even if formulaic. By the third day, they had mastered the omelet. The hotel staff is very friendly and helpful. However when faced with a serious problem, they lack guidance and direction. Our villa was invaded by a mouse/rat who refused to leave. We mentioned it every morning at the front desk. the first day they addressed the issue by cleaning the floor. Our rodent guest became more bold crawling over and into all our bags and continued to disturb our sleep and general comfort. The second day; they sent in another cleaning crew and the third day a security contingent. On the forth day we suggested traps. They agreed and put one archaic excuse for a trap in a totally inappropriate place. We helped that night by repositioning the device and the rodent helped by eating the bait and not firing the trap door. A potentially great experience was marred by a staff unprepared and unable to deal with a common problem. This is not the inadequacy of staff but the inability of management of taking the business of hoteling seriously. With so many facilities with vacancies even in the high season, I would recommend just shopping around for the best.

Room Tip: ask for villas. they will show you the worst rooms first and then work you up to their best.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Lloyd B

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed July 21, 2012

This hotel looks better in the web pictures than it actually is. The best part of the Arya is the pool area. It all goes down hill from there.
We didn't eat in the restaurant which we found uninspiring.
The room was large with a big comfy bed but the airconditioner was leaking all over the table underneath. We had a kettle in our room to boil water but no mugs/cups or tea/coffee to drink. Go figure.....
Probably get better a better deal and accommodation in a private villa.
Ken H
Adelaide

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Lonavala, India
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I stayed at this place for 5 nights and everything went very well for the first three. The hotel rooms are beautiful and it is located right by the beach so, its really cool. The food at the restaurant is decent. You might get bored of the limited breakfast menu, so do go out and try something else. Now, Amed has really good diving spots and thats exactly why I went there. I had arranged my diving with a good dive shop. I had my booking done for this hotel via Expedia. I thought it was slightly expensive for south east asia.

I had dived for three days straight so I wanted to take a day doing nothing but relax at the hotel. On the fourth day, it started to rain and I was pretty much stuck to the hotel. The power at the hotel went off and they did not care to start the back up gen set. First, I was told that there is no gen set, then I was told that there is no fuel in it and since all this was happening at 4 am in the morning, it was very annoying. Perhaps they didnt care as I was the only guest in the hotel at that time. Finally, they started the generator again at 6 am and it was shut at 6:30 due to over heating. It was getting to me as it was all happening in last couple of days of my trip. I decided to leave a day early and spend a night in Kuta. It was still raining in and around Amed, but I took the risk of leaving. I lost one night's money to Expedia as the hotel refused to pay it back. I did not argue.

The hotel staff is decent but they dont speak and understand very little english. Now, I have travelled to a lot of places where English isnt the first language, but they usually have at least one rep who understands you. The night manager had family issues and had left the hotel the same night when there was electricity trouble. The other guys didn't understand me (perhaps conveniently).

I am generously giving it an average rating as the hotel rooms are very nice. Only if they had a generator that worked, it would help them get a lot better review from me. But, I doubt they care.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank mujeers
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed July 13, 2012

We stayed three nights in Arya Amed towards the end of a five week South East Asian holiday. I live in Indonesia and so travel frequently around and have a solid idea of price/standard norms. We booked through Agoda and it was our priciest hotel so far (of nine in the past few weeks). Arya Amed has a four star rating on Agoda and so we were expecting good things – I booked a $90 USD/night room and my parents booked a $110 USD/night bungalow. Amed is isolated and not a tourist mecca, so to pay that price in this area should buy you quality…

We arrived and we were shown to our standard room. Tucked away behind the rest of the resort, through a little path to a dingy garden. Firstly, the door handle broke off as we entered… The room had two single beds, one with a Strawberry Shortcake cover on it, a precariously suspended frilly canopy that was hanging dangerously low on one side and a filthy bathroom with very old, dirty stained towels and upon closer inspection, a leaking toilet and mud all over the floor. The room had a strong chemical smell that left me with asthma.

The bungalow booked by my parents however was lovely - closest to the pool, with a pond filled with VERY noisy frogs surrounding it. It was cleaned to a different standard and had a lovely outdoor bathroom.

My first complaint in five weeks of travel was to reception about the unhygienic state of our toilet and towels. We were promptly upgraded to a delux room, which was a million times nicer, still with old towels and a quite dirty bathroom.

The pool area and restaurant are lovely, but the pool water was too murkey to see the bottom and the food in the restaurant was well below average – cocktails hilariously bad.

The toilet in the restaurant area ran out of toilet paper one morning, it was still the same empty toilet roll the next evening – it hadn’t been replaced. This bathroom has a communal sink – there is no paper to wipe your hands on here, just a dirty looking hand towel that wasn’t replaced throughout our whole stay.

Our rooms were semi cleaned one day – they didn’t even enter the bathroom and the floor was still filthy from before we arrived. The second day they forgot to clean our room completely because they had our checkout dates wrong and thought we were leaving.

We hired some snorkels from them and only discovered when we got to our destination that the masks were broken.

We had missed the part about there being no ATM in Amed (lack of research on my behalf). They offered to drive us the 40Km or so to the ATM for $25 USD – ridiculous when we had just come on a three hour journey from Lovina to Ahmed for $30 USD the day before that, a three hour journey from Ubud to Lovina for $35. When asking about transport to our next destination Candidasa, an hour away at the most, they quoted us $40 USD. I decided to investigate. We went for dinner at nearby hotel Santai (amazing food, cheaper rooms – far superior) and asked them there about cost to Candidasa. They said it should be $20. I asked a few taxi drivers around the beach. They all quoted me $20 USD.

The thing that stunned me most while staying at this “4 star” hotel, was that they don’t offer you any drinking water and your only option the overpriced bottles in your minibar. Each time you want to brush your teeth, you have to pay….. but in the whole time we were there, the minibar wasn’t restocked once. A four star hotel with no complimentary drinking water?????? I asked at reception and they seemed puzzled that I would even request it!

If this hotel was half the price and called themselves two star, you would be pleasantly surprised and maybe tolerate the bad management.
Don’t be fooled by the rating and the price – this is NOT a quality establishment.

Room Tip: Choose a room at another hotel - can recommend Santai. We ate there and it was the best food experie...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank reneelouise27
Perth, Australia
Reviewed June 19, 2012

lovely hotel quite new stayed one year ago. Booked standard room but it was tucked down an alley in a group of four facing into each other, with no fridge or TV/DVD v basic but clean(missed that in the blurb). So upgraded with a little bartering to delux upstairs. Lovely. Looked out on property - beach to left - dont think we could see it but tropicla garden view lovely.Staff v helpful and friendly. Pool area v pleasant. Beware of men on beach touting for boat ride (snorkel gear inc) to snorkle - they just take you around the corner on their boat and once there if they dont have your size flippers etc then they try to get you to pay the guy they hire them from! Just be firm and smile. Restaurant ok nothing special. Beware of keeping clothes out to dry over night on balcony as bats visit and leave lots of calling cards! Hotel arranged for scooter hire so we were able to visit other beaches adn restaurants etc. Amed is a stretch of coastline with hotels resturants etc scattered along it up hilland downdale so need motor scooter. Very poor area, subsistance farming. Will stay again as hotel good but just hard to get about.

Room Tip: upstairs delux- brillant. chalets seem quite open and near restaurant/pool so lacking privacy - a...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Perth
Reviewed March 17, 2012

We decided on the spur of the moment to do an overnight stay in Amed with our longtime friend & driver.
Someone had recommended Arya Amed Resort as a good place to stay, so we stopped by to check it out.
There were 3 standards of room, and once we saw the top of the range villa, we had to stay there! Beautiful room with a huge canopy bed, outside bathroom with spa, toilet & shower.
We couldn't take much advantage of our stay, as it was raining a lot of the time, but would have loved a few nights here.
I was surprised that no toiletries were supplied, and although there was a kettle, there were no cups, tea or coffee etc.
Our meal at the restaurant was nice, as was our complimentry breakfast, and the drink prices were more than reasonble.
This is a lovely property, with beautiful gardens, and they supplied our driver with a bed free of charge.
I would recommend taking adequate insect repellent & fly spray for the room, as there were a lot of mosquitoes about.
We would definitley stay at Arya Amed again.

Room Tip: Go for the Villa with outside bathroom!!!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Bern, Switzerland
Reviewed October 9, 2011

beautiful hotel with different room types. we had a superior room, and it was great. very clean, spacious room and bathroom. own cosy terrace. aircon, mosquito net, no TV. it's not a big hotel resort, so it stays familiar and the staff is very friendly.
great pool area, right next to the nice black stoned beach. good restaurant.
there is no other hotel around, but some small shops on the street.
we really enjoyed our stay here. it's very quiet and just perfect to relaxe, no party, away from all the stress. for us it became a bit too quiet and we left after 3 nights..

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends