“Dishonest & annoying staff spoil otherwise enjoyable stay”

Kembali Beach Bungalows
Ranked #5 of 90 Specialty Lodging in Amed
Reviewed November 11, 2010

We want to tell you about our recent visit to Kembali Beach Bungalows (4 nights).

Ketut picked us up at Padang Bai; he was friendly, reliable and we used his services throughout our stay.

The bungalow was clean, quiet and spacious although there were mosquitoes in the open bathroom; we found the breakfast tasty.

Each staff member repeatedly asked us about 'transfer' or 'massage' no matter what time of day or night or, if we had just returned with our snorkelling equipment still on. This became tedious very rapidly; it is one thing to be solicited on the streets but to have employees follow you to your veranda and continue to ask 'why no massage' was very annoying.

Since credit cards are not accepted at checkout, we had adequate cash, but required 76000Rp in change. At checkout in the bar, the woman said she didn't have any change and stood and stared at me. I waited and when she made no move to get some change, I asked again for my change; she reluctantly pulled out a basket of money and put 50000Rp on the counter, saying 'is this OK?' I said 'No, I want the rest of my change" and she again stood silent and staring for a bit, and finally dug 20000Rp out from under the bar. Again silent and staring she waited and I said I still wanted the rest of my change. She brought out the remaining 6000Rp and tossed it on the counter. I said to her that I only tip when I want to, not when forced to. I found her behaviour and attitude very distasteful, never mind dishonest! It was my observation that she was very comfortable with her behaviour and my feeling was that this was not the first time she had done this to a customer. For us, the amount of money doesn't matter; it is the blatant dishonesty that is alarming.

Unfortunately, this attempted scam has tainted our memories of Kembali Beach Bungalows despite the attractive accommodations, garden and pool we won't be returning.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Raincoast

Reviewed October 30, 2010

Very nice place next to the beach. Coral viewing directly from the beach.
Friendly staff.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 26, 2010

This was our second time staying at Kembali and we will be back again! Love it there. The bungalows are clean, modern, relaxing and have everything you need.

The pool and gardens just add to the atmosphere of the place and with some snorkeling right on your doorstep it is the perfect place to stay in Amed.

We were lucky enough to swim with dolphins right out the front of the bungalows. The dolphins were swimming up and down the bay all day, so we swam out and managed to intercept them and spent a few precious minutes with them. Truly magical and just adds to the essence of Kembali.

The main downside is the food choice, it is all bread and pancakes and no protein, but there are some excellent restaurants in walking distances that serve fresh fish.

Another thing that annoyed us slightly was the fishing trip we went on with one of the staff. He didn't have any fishing tackle and when he finally put a line into the water, he was very reluctant to let us use it. Bit weird but we saw dolphins again so that made the trip worth while.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank missnomad
Reviewed October 24, 2010

We stayed 5 nights at Kembali and loved it .The staff were fantastic, the room was simple but beautifully clean ,the beach outside your verandah.Breakfast was great, the pool clean and its so reasonably priced !!! Would stay again.The massage ladies were fantastic. We snorkelled and dived whilst there.It really was a relaxing time with Mt Agung right beside you

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank anurag57
Reviewed September 29, 2010

This is a wonderful place to stay - the rooms are extremely clean and although there were no real frills, they were EXCELLENT value for money. The breakfast was included in the cost and was fresh and really varied. We ate ours looking out to sea each morning! The bathroom is fantastic - open ceilings and pebbled floors, a really tropical experience! Right outside the bunalows (which face onto the beach) there is a coral reef - you can see fish and coral just one metre away from the shore at high tide, making this place even more special. Snorkelling and diving is everywhere in Amed, which is why many people visit. There isn't really anything to do in Amed in the evenings - the roads are very dark outside the village and so you need a torch or moped to venture away from the immediate area around Kembali Bungalows. However, there are about 5 restaurants that provide evening meals within the immediate area - the best by far is the 3 brothers restaurant, excellent food and so cheap. Amed is a world away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life, and I was sorry to leave. I really hope to return very soon!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank etuhs
Reviewed September 21, 2010

Amed is a paradise and Kembali is the best! We are glad we stayed here for three days. My mom, my husband and I enjoyed the snorkeling right in front our bungalow - the Japanese wreck nearby is a must see too. My dad enjoyed the swimming pool by the ocean and went on a couple of fishing trips although they didn't catch anything despite the fact that the water was full of fishes! My three year old had a great time at the pool. This is a great place for family vacation. I would strongly recommend this place to everyone.

By the way, I love the furniture in the bungalow too. The balinese wood carves are beautiful. I wish I could find something like that in the US...

Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 17, 2010

For the second time we visited Kembali Beach Bungalows and again we loved the six nights. Like last year we stayed in bungalow 1 and because it is the last bungalow it's very quiet except for the frogs from the neighbours!
The staff was more helpful this year and to avoid letting them ask for massages, tours and so on there are some lists on the buffet with all the tours etc. they offer. Breakfast includes one egg ( fried, boiled or scrambled) or pancake or yoghurt, fruit or juice, coffee or tea or chocolate milk, toast and butter. Just OK and you can order extra's if you want. 10.000 IDR for one fruit juice or one egg.
We loved snorkeling just in front of the hotel. We bought the really good Balinese salt in Amed.
We had 3 diners and one lunch at Warung Bobo, on the beach to the left just a few minutes walk. Just like the staff of Kembali the very friendly owner recognized us from last year and that was like coming home! Prices: small Bintang 15.000, nasi goreng 24.500, mixed fruit 11.500, grilled baracuda 35.000.
2 lunches we enjoyed at Amed Cafe (to the right on the beach) bintang 22.500, club sandwich 26.500.
We had one diner at Sails, they still have a free pick-up service, fish soup 35.000,fillet steak 200 gr 90.000, spare ribs 70.000, dessert 30.000, bottle Hatten Rosé 170.000. Fantastic diner, view and atmosphere.
We asked for a driver at Kembali to bring us to Tirtagangga and we walked around in this beautiful garden for about 2 hours. Such a fun to see the locals enjoying the swimming. We had diner at Tirta Ayu, the onsite hotel, restaurant. It was great! Fish platter for two 160.000, grilled banana 35.000, fruit platter 25.000. The Hatten Rosé was 300.000 and we think that's too expensive althought we took one.

We will come back to Kembali once. We will love it even more if there is a small minibar in the room. That's the only thing we missed for we like a cool drink on the veranda also late in the evening or at night when the bar is closed. We know you can ask the security for a drink but that's sometimes to much worry.

We can recommend this small hotel to everybody not expecting too much. It's just good value for what you get.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple