“Peace and Serenity in East Bali”

Kembali Beach Bungalows
Ranked #4 of 86 Specialty Lodging in Amed
San Francisco, California
“Peace and Serenity in East Bali”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

My friend and I had the pleasure to stay at Kembali during for a dive trip in Amed. Coming from the hustle and bustle of Ubud and Seminyak, we were pleased to be in the peaceful and beautiful surroundings of Kembali. Right on the beach, the phenomenal views from your bungalow make it feel like you are right on the water's edge. You are that close! Each bungalow is immaculate with a wonderful indoor/outdoor bathroom. The resort only has a few bungalows so you never feel like you are battling for space at the pool with 100s of other tourists. The service is genuinely friendly and prompt. They even cater food from the local restaurants so you can eat at their beautiful dining area instead of trekking out to the restaurant. The incredible value, service and beautiful resort make this our favorite place in our entire two week trip in Bali!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Czech first
Reviewed August 25, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at Kembali Bech Bungalows (also called KBB in Amed) from 04 Aug to 07 aug.
The Bungalows are perfectly situated at the beach, with a stunning view of the sea, mountains etc.
The staff were great, good food and clean bungalows and at really cheap price, even during high season.....
So i would really recommend the place to everybody..

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

Visited Kembali Beach Bungalows after a stay in Seminyak for a few days. Immediately you notice the quiet surroundings, nice diving places and a piece of Bali you will never encounter down south. The villa's are decorated stylefully and with care. Everything you need (nice bed, A/C, separate bathroom) is available. Standards of the resort and staff are high, due to dutch management.

We will surely return in the near future.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
peterborough UK
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I stayed here for 5 nights in july and enjoyed my time here. I was in cottage 1 which I think is the closest to the beach. Amazing to lay on my day bed look out at the sea! The room was large, with a good size bed andnice linens, the shower was good too. I would stay here again, it was very relaxing, the staff were friendly and it is in a good location, there are places to eat nearby and a shop close by if needed.

Room Tip: Cottage 1 is closest to the beach, great views!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank daisyjane1967
Hilversum, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Our whole family (two parents, three kids 15, 18 and 19) stayed here for five days in two bungalows, right at the beach. The staff was extremely friendly, the luscious garden wonderful and the place was a great relaxing retreat after our diving classes.
Value for money at its best: the bungalows are well equipped and give a lot of privacy: we could read for hours on the veranda, overlooking the sea.
Staff was very friendly and helpful. When we wanted to make reservations in the restaurants, they arranged it all for us. Booking a boat trip to the Gilis: one of the staff members took me to the travel agents on the back of his motor.
Next time we are in Amed, we will definitely be guests here!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Mungyeong, South Korea
Reviewed August 8, 2013

While planning out my trip to Bali I decided I wanted to stay somewhere a bit out of the way - a place where I could relax, listen to the ocean and read a book.

After doing a bit of research I cam across Kembali Beach Bungalows and sent an e-mail inquiring about a few things - the response was not only professional but extremely timely (I've found that other guesthouses and hotels on the island of Bali are a bit more lax with prompt e-mail replies). The person with whom I was corresponding, Matthijs, not only answered my questions with regards to the property but also a few other questions about Balinese culture. I booked two nights and planned out the rest of my vacation. Unfortunately I recorded the wrong dates for my two nights in Amed and made plans with other travelers so I had to cancel one night - about which the owners were very gracious and even recommended another location nearby for the rest of my stay.

I arrived at the bungalows in the late afternoon and was greeted by a staff member wearing a uniform. He helped me take my luggage to my bungalow - #8 and left me to get situated. The bungalows are staggered on the property in order to give people more privacy - #8 was set on the edge of the property line a bit back from the next bungalow so it offered a bit more privacy than then the others. Due to the distance from the beach the bungalow was slightly less expensive than those that are closer with actual beach view (a difference of just a few meters).

The inside of the bungalow is tastefully decorated with crisp white sheets, pink accent pillows and mosquito netting. A day bed sits by one wall and chairs by another. The clean bathroom consistently followed the main room's attention to detail with a large sink and counter area and privacy walls setting off the toilet and shower (which has a rock basin). My only complaint about this room is that due to it being set back from the beach it lies closer to the road and throughout the night I was awoken by especially loud motos (I am convinced the mufflers were altered in some way to make them extremely obnoxious). I didn't find the road noise to be disturbing in the evening but in the early morning hours it seemed extremely loud.
The outside of the bungalow has a lounge in addition to a small seating area. The towels that are provided both inside and outside of the room are large and fluffy - perfect for drying off after a shower or after a dip in the pool.

The pool area overlooks the beach and has substantial seating with numerous lounge chairs. The area is set apart slightly by careful landscaping and is illuminated with soft lighting. The cafe area has ample seating and a young women, also wearing a uniform, helped guests order simple snacks and drinks or place an order at a local restaurant. Outside of the cafe were two semi-private elevated floor seating areas filled with pillows where people lounged about or chatted. Wi-fi is only available in the cafe area. Breakfast at the cafe was tasty which you can choose from presented options - I enjoyed the banana pancake and fresh fruit juice. Room prices include breakfast for two so since I was a single traveler the room price was slightly adjusted to reflect that.

I really enjoyed a night's sleep in the large and comfortable bed there and had a delicious simple breakfast the following morning. My biggest regret during my trip to Bali is that I only had the opportunity to stay one night at Kembali Beach Bungalows - I spent 3 days in Amed, one at Kembali and two more at another location and both cost the same price. Kembali was the superior place to stay because not only was the facade pleasant but there was an attention to detail - attentive yet non-intrusive uniformed staff, carefully decorated bungalows and beautiful landscaping.

Room Tip: While bungalow #8 offers a bit more privacy since it is set back from the others it doesn't have...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed at KBB during our honeymoon because it was close to our dive center. Out of all of the varied places we stayed both in Amed and in Bali, this was one of the most disappointing experiences.

The staff are unfriendly and seem very clearly bored. They barely acknowledge their guests, and are quite curt, lacking the warmth and interest that characterizes Balinese service. During breakfast, they chatted amongst themselves. They did not return our morning greeting or respond to thank yous in English or Balinese. The groundsmen and security staff stared blankly at us as we came and went, again not greeting us. My husband told me that he was stopped on several occasions to be asked if he was an actual guest there. Very unusual suspicious attitude that was unlike any other place we stayed.

While it may sound silly, tourists in Bali will understand why KBB's morning fruit plate epitomizes the level of neglect:
This was the only place, including the cheapest of warungs, where the fruit plate was so carelessly thrown together, and quite literally. The staff did not bother to peel the banana much less slice it, the papaya and pineapple were in disarray sliding on the plate which was also distractedly plopped down before us. No typical "enjoy" or anything. It felt like we were not welcome there, much less appreciated for our patronage.

The room, while adequate, had linens with holes. There were no bath towels when we arrived. Towel and garbage were haphazardly attended to. The soap dish had no soap in it. Our AC was malfunctioning, impossible to turn off, and caused us both severe neck pain.

The staff was more aggressive about getting drink orders from us whenever we sat in the bale. Finally, the lounge chairs by the pool had cushions that were so sun-bleached, they appeared to be relics of the 80s.

But these things only added to the general feeling of unwelcomeness we had during the entirety of our stay at KBB. That is a major oversight of management.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple