“Nice and quiet”

Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Amed
Penrith, Australia
“Nice and quiet”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed here for 4 days with the intention of doing some scuba diving.

Food was very good and the service staff were very friendly and helpful.

Due to the time of year that I stayed here I received the low season price - during the low season this establishment is not full.

My room was quiet pleasant - good view out over the ocean - lovely carved balinese windows and door - large comfortable bed and clean bathroom.

I do a fair bit of scuba diving and normally stay in "Dive Resorts" - I was suprised by the number of non-divers that were present here - the villas are probably convenient for families with children.

In most dive resorts that I have stayed in the managers go out of their way to spend time with you and find out about you - but that was not the case here. I don't know if they were just not interested or " too busy ".

Overall, a nice quiet out of the way place to stay.

Room Tip: Room 1 and Room 2 are basic but look out directly over the ocean - very nice to have the wave noise...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Clovis, New Mexico
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Stayed here on the second half of our trip to Bali, focused mainly on scuba diving. The rooms are standard, love the mosquito netting. Food at the restaurant was great! The scuba diving was spectacular. There isn't too much to do near the hotel without requiring a driver or a scooter. It was a relaxing time after spending a few days in busy Ubud!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 26, 2012

The hotel was not full when I stayed there on 22 December recently. I shared 3 bedroom villa with family friend. The villa is a duplex with two rooms on first floor and one room with kitchen and living room on ground floor. The two rooms on first floor has their own access which is separated from access to main room on the ground floor. In fact there is no access to first floor from gound floor. It seems these rooms could be sold separately not as a villa but just a room. The position of the property that is on the sloping ground gives advantage to this arrangement.

Hotel environment is good and clean though it is in minimum level of cleanliness but still acceptable. Staffs are friendly and helpful. Response was quick when we had trouble getting hot water. Breakfast was very simple. Pool is small but clean. The hotel is exactly next to the beach. Fishermen can be found in the morning returning from sea with their catch. They return just before sunrise, so after that for people who likes to enjoy sunrise, they can directly enjoy the beauty of the sun rising from the sea.

Our rooms were spacious and clean. There was kitchen, dining table for 4 and living room to watch television. Though it was only in main room. Minor dissapointment was only when we experienced problem with hot water. The response was quick after complaint but don't expect world class service during staying in Amed. Most hotels are privately managed.

Amed is not a popular tourist destination like Kuta or other part of Bali. Most tourist came to Amed for snorkeling or diving. Currently there is no international or national hotel chain in Amed. Except in Manggis, close to Amed there is Aman Kila resort belong to Aman group. Basically Amed tourism is still not yet polluted by tourism development spirit. I didn't expect too much for hotel service since I knew that the area still is behind in term of service industry compare to other part of Bali.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank L13m
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed December 17, 2012

We stayed at this hotel because we were doing our Open Water Diving Certificate with their Dive Company, and were pleasantly surprised with both the resort and the size of our room.

Lovely little garden areas are placed around the grounds along with ponds and reading huts.

We started our stay in room 4 but had a very unpleasant night in this room when the air conditioning turned itself off in the middle of the night. The next morning the staff were happy to move us to room 2 for the rest of our stay which had a mirror image layout to room 4.

These rooms are large with a sitting area, good sized balcony, mini fridge, tv, desk and large 4 poster bed.

Staff and management are very friendly and interested in our diving experiences, never failing to ask us how our diving was that day. Other guests who were there for diving as well, were friendly and interested and helpful, with the restaurant being the hub of the social interaction for the hotel.

The Restaurant is well priced and all the food we had was tasty and good value. The included breakfast was simple with limited options but very nice and more than enough. The home made breads and buns were a great inclusion.

Unfortunately some of the larger resorts surrounding this hotel have closed down which means that there isn't much in the way of variety for dining options without organising pick ups from the hotel to restaurants further afield than walking distance.

We would definitely stay here again next time we are in Amed for diving.

Room Tip: The layout of rooms 1-4 aren't condusive to the most efficient use of the air conditioning. We n...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
manila, philippines
Reviewed December 11, 2012

sometimes any other beach is just not enough. my stay in puri wirata made me feel the need for an ulitmate getaway. this is a place perfectly serene and tranquil to refresh your soul. the clear waters and warm seas give good visibility underwater- perfect for diving. no wonder why it's considered a diving haven by enthusiasts. to complete my sweet escape there, the traditional spa treatment while listening to the rhytmic movement of the waves was enough to rejuvinate my senses.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed November 29, 2012

I stayed at Puri  to try out diving for the first time. It was an unforgettable, wonderful experience.

I enjoyed the comfort that Puri provides. I had a room with balcony, facing the sea. It was relaxing and a treat for the eyes. I shared the balcony with other guests, which did not bother me.
The restaurant offers a wide variety of food, western and local. Spaghetti Napolitana is one that I would recommend. Those who prefer hot, might ask slices of fresh red pepper. Being an Indonesian, I found the Indonesian/Balinese dishes not authentic. But do not worry,  if you're western you hardly  notice and would find it just fine.

The room is spacious with good facilities. Beds are provided with klambu, which is really nice and comfortable. I enjoyed swimming in the pool at the restaurant side (Puri has two of pools facing the sea).

Budget travelers might find the room quite expensive, but you get comfort and facilities that you would not find at budget hotel. I find the diving' price reasonable, perhaps relatively lower than other (qualified) dive center.

The diving was  an unforgettable experience. I fell in love with it instantly. I enjoyed every single day; riding to the dive places through dry Amed's' lanscape, sided by the sea. Tom, our instructor, led us through underwater world and showed its  beauty. I had the time of my life.

I find the safety parts, where we had to learn all the safety procedures, less enjoyable. I am glad that I got through with it. I left the resort with open water certificate and am very proud of it!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Perth, Australia
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I loved my stay at Puri Wirata. I stayed four nights in a standard room - for the price I thought the room was terrific. The resort had two pools, a spa and a restaurant and was right on the beach. Strolling out for some snorkelling every day was such a treat. I was quite lazy - choosing to eat most of my meals in the resort. And I loved them. For such an isolated place they have an amazing menu. Balinese favourites such as gado-gado and Balinese pancakes were excellent. And the Bintangs were delightfully cold. Prices in the restaurant were also great value. I really enjoyed my stay here - I really felt it had everything you needed and the staff were just lovely. Very relaxing stay - thank you!

Room Tip: Bungalows (5 and 6 I think) looked like great choices.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo