“Good diving spot but low standard hotel”

Puri Wirata Dive Resort and Spa Amed
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Amed
London, United Kingdom
“Good diving spot but low standard hotel”
Reviewed November 23, 2011

The hotel is well located for diving and the diving club is good
But overall the hotel is quite poor, the staff are not very friendly (which is very rare in Bali) and our room (we took a bungaloo) not very clean; specially the bathroom

• Stayed November 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed November 3, 2011

I stayed here for 4 nights in early October. I booked a package which included diving and transfers, and felt it was good value for money.

The resort is as genuinely attractive as the photos on its website suggest. It is small in terms of occupancy numbers but set in beautifully landscaped grounds, on a hillside overlooking the sea. There are 2 lovely pools by the seafront, with plenty of sun-loungers. The small restaurant, which overlooks one of the pools, serves a good selection of western & local dishes, at fairly reasonable prices. The food was mostly of a good standard although I found the gado-gado disappointing. Breakfast was very good. Service was sweet but slow. Guests were mostly from Europe, with very few Asians - perhaps due to the European management team?

The on-site dive centre, with whom I dived, is very well run and provided an excellent personal service. For those who may not know, Amed is a divers' paradise with some of the best diving in Bali within a few minutes' drive or boat ride. I thoroughly enjoyed my 3 days' diving while staying at Puri Wirata. There is also good snorkelling off the beach in front of the resort, and if you are really keen, some of the best snorkelling sites can be reached by a ride on the local fishing boats known as jukungs. Indeed, a ride on a jukung is good fun and allows you to see the picturesque shoreline along the north Bali coast.

The resort also has an attractive spa, although prices there are substantially higher than in Sanur or Kuta, however, still less than the UK so I treated myself to a relaxing Balinese massage.

My only 2 complaints about the resort are i) that my room was too dark, and ii) that they seem to run out of pool towels every afternoon. The latter I resolved by grabbing a pool towel before breakfast. The former I couldn't do much about.

My room was No. 3, a Deluxe room, which was on the lower levels of the resort. It had a good-sized terrace and also had access to a small roof garden shared with the next room. It was designed and decorated in the local style with carved solid wood windows and door, but unfortunately this made the room very dark. To allow natural light in, you would have to open the windows and/or terrace door which would then render the airconditioning ineffective and leave the room insecure. The room itself is huge, with beautiful twin 4-poster single beds. Rather surprisingly, no closet was provided. Instead, there was an exposed rail to hang clothes on with a single shelf above. There was also a sitting area with a sofa & coffee table - so you can watch the flat-screen tv in comfort. Note to ladies with long hair (like myself) - no hairdryer!

The bathroom was large, modern and bright, with an effective shower (no tub). Soap provided but no other toiletries. Large bath towels of good quality. Both room and bathroom spotlessly clean and well-maintained.

As my room was on a lower level, I did not have much of a view from my terrace. However, I visited one of the rooms at the top of the deluxe block (No. 28) - the highest level in the resort - and the view from their balcony was simply amazing. This has to be balanced against the chore of climbing up the steep hill and stairs to get to the room!

A word of warning - this resort is not suitable for those with walking difficulties as there is no avoiding the many steps and the steep hill leading up to the road and most of the rooms. Note also that the beach is not a sandy beach - it is a pebble/rocky beach and it is advisable to wear shoes if you wish to get to the water.

If you wish to dine out, there are a number of cheap cafes in the nearby village. There is also a lovely little restaurant called The Grill about 10 minutes' walk away, which does excellent food - western-style cuisine but with Asian influences, run by an Aussie lady. Anyone venturing out on foot after dark would be well advised to carry a torch. The main road is unlit, poorly maintained and you might want to make sure other road users are able to see you.

Puri Wirata is a resort I would definitely return to on my next visit to Bali, and I am planning to stay longer next time.

Room Tip: Room 28 has the best views but is near the top of the hill and up a set of very steep stairs. The ol...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank dragonphoenix
california
Reviewed September 28, 2011

Lovely place by the sea: good location, comfortable room, good restaurant (nice dinner but breakfast is just so so), and convenient for diving and snorkeling (dive shop on site provides transport to dive sites, snorkeling in front of the restaurant). Enjoyed the spa (right by the water). wifi in restaurant only.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank catinthesun
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 19, 2011

My boyfriend and I stumbled upon this property on the internet (via a blog entry on a travel forum) and thought it was too good to be true. The price was right, it was located directly on the beach, and it was outside the craziness of Kuta.

Upon inquiry, we received a quick response from the staff, and after several email exchanges, we decided to book 2 nights in the most basic room.

When we arrived, we both looked at each other and smiled. The pools are right on the ocean, with the restaurant behind them. The staff are very helpful and attentive to your needs.

Our room was magnificent (we recommend #25), with a great ocean-view and balcony with table and chairs. The bed was comfortable and there was more than enough space in the room to spread out. Everything was clean and up to our standards. The bathroom was a bit old, but certainly did not take away from our experience.

While the resort is very isolated, it does not matter because you do not need to leave for any reason! The restaurant is excellent. Breakfast is a lot of food and very tasty. We ate fresh fruit with no tummy problems. Dinner was always good, and the staff were extremely helpful accommodating my food allergies (I never had a reaction!).

The pool area is fantastic - a little paradise.

We decided to do the Discover dive package and Tom taught us how to dive. He was great and very patient with us. We really enjoyed our dives and it will be something we never forget.

Overall, this place was fantastic. We added 2 more nights and they were able to keep us in our room (the staff go out of their way to help you!). We felt so relaxed by the end of our stay, and we really did not want to leave.

If you want to get away from the touristy areas and just relax by the pool and hear the waves crash - come to Puri Wirata!

And be sure to get up for sunrise one morning!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nicole G
Nelson Bay, Australia
Reviewed September 15, 2011

We loved the quality of service at Puri Wirata. Beautiful people with excellent service. Off the beaten track compared with Denpassar so we had a chance to unwind and soak up the sun. The dive school was superb and we experienced the best diving for a long time. I am recommending this hotel and the area of Amed to all my family and friends.

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank alancocks
Mechelen, Belgium
Reviewed September 3, 2011

I will never forget this place. I did the open water diving course here and it was one of the best choices I ever made.
The resort is extremely peaceful and very beautiful. You can choose from a big range of accomodation. I was travelling with some friends who stayed in the master villa. This place was twice as big as my appartment & had everything you need to live like a king. I stayed in the deluxe room and was very pleased with it. Clean, big bed, a lot of furniture and some nice local art here and there. Very comfortable and character as well.

The resort has 2 swimming pools, one near the restaurant where the diving classes take place and one big infinity pool near the villas. Every night before dinner we would just hang out in the pool, have a drink and talk about the dives we did that day.
The restaurant is top notch. I'm a vegetarian and I was very pleased to have a big choice of vegetarian dishes. I had a vegetarian version of a banana leaf fish dish called "pepes" and it was delicious. If you feel like treating yourself, the chocolate brownie for desert is the way to go.

The local staff is very friendly and they all speak English. The manager of the resort is from Belgium as well and I had some interesting conversations with him. They also have a dive center called "Bali Reef Divers". If you are planning on doing a PADI dive course, you can do them all here. If you just want to check out how it feels to dive, you can do a discover scuba, you will do some training in the morning and you'll be diving in the ocean afternoon.

Tom was my dive instructor and he did a great job. He's a very nice and relaxed fellow. The coral reefs we dived at were very cool. During my open water course we dove at some interesting dives sites like USS liberty shipwreck and Bunutan reef.

I'm planning to go back here next year to do some more diving and to relax some more.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank pabloeskimo
Bunbury, Australia
Reviewed August 30, 2011

This was my second stay at this hotel but first with my family. We had the full villa right near pool. Everything is lovely and clean and the staff are very helpful. There are serveral warungs near hotel and a resturant right next door to hotel on beach that has excellent food. You can walk to both snorkling bays from this hotel or rent a scooter through hotel. There is also good snorkeling infront of hotel although the beach is pebble so reef shoes are recommended. The food at the hotel is very reasonablely priced and taste great. It is a lovely spot in Amed it is nice to get away from the hussle and bussle of Kuta. The hotel staff are very accomodating and will help with what ever they can. Will definately be coming back for another stay.

Room Tip: All rooms are clean and well priced most villas have good ocean views
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family