“could do better”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Amed
Eka Purnama Cottages
Ranked #27 of 74 Amed B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“could do better”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Spectacular views...but that's about it. Run by a charming (Balinese) wife and an irascible American....we went for the diving which is supposed to be good in Amed, but the weather was poor and all diving cancelled for 2 out of the 3 days we were there. The beaches are pretty much un-swimmable when the sea is rough...and anyway most 'beaches' are large rocks, not sand. The cottages are a long way from pretty much everything, there is no wifi, no hot water, no tv, and the lights too dim to read by...but the view is great. Our visit was spoiled when we cancelled at 07.15 a.m. after 3 nights when all diving was again cancelled...we decided to move around the coast. Admittedly we had expected to stay longer, but when we checked out the Balinese lady thanked us warmly for the visit - while the American gave us a lecture about being 'inconsiderate' and how he expected us to pay another night at least, even though the place seemed pretty empty...it was hardly likely he'd been turning business away. That, plus the fact that our young daughter was waking up every day covered in bites...and there was tiny blood spots on the sheets of her bed. We had a separate bed and had no problems. Readers can draw their own conclusions about that.

Room Tip: Get cottage 1 or 2 facing the ocean
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank nikitak13

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Indonesian first
Frankfurt (Oder), Germany
Reviewed July 31, 2013

First of all the cottages are far away from the center Amed, you need a taxi to go there. Even the private taxi I ordered wanted more money after I told him where I stay. Anyway so far it was the worst place of all I stayed in Bali. The only good thing I can say is the view from the terrace. The bathroom is not clean. The rubbish bin itself is dirty and the toiletpaper holder also, it was disgusting to see. They put a flower in a water bottle and it seems the water was not changed since a long time. After I came back from snorkeling an animal must have been in the bathroom and started to eat my soap...
The worst is the matraze which made me not sleep at all! It must be a old one or used to long and needs to be changed!!! The food is ridiculous tiny and my main course was more a starter and I was still hungry after that. The breakfast was one drink and one food. Like a pancake or a toast and for me this is not a breakfast. The snorkeling for the ship wreck is not worth is at all and the beach is just stones. Internet is very slow and there is no net for mobile phones. After all I can not recommend this place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
gold coast, australia
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Having stayed in Eka Purnama's bungalows a few times previously, we decided to try the larger guest home and we weren't disappointed! It was wonderful and had everything we needed :) It was myself, my husband and our friend and had enough space for everyone. The bedroom is gorgeous with stunning views, the artwork and furnishings aesthetically pleasing, outdoor area is fantastic to chill and have a cold one, the loungeroom was comfy to sit back and watch a DVD, and the bathroom.. oh how I enjoyed the big stone tub! A truly blissful stay, George and Iluh are down-to-earth and great to chat to. Black rice pudding and spring rolls are the best I've had in Bali. I'm definitely having my birthday here AGAIN.. Wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else in Amed now, E.P. is truly our home away from home!

Room Tip: Family home is so warm and welcoming.. truly a home away from home!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank DebOliver
Montreal
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Simple, spacious and comfortable bungalows/bathroom with a good size porch overlooking a scenic bay for the budget minded traveller. Ilou and George are great hosts willing to help you with all of your needs(taxis, sites to see, snorkling equipment, etc). Make sure to ask Ilou to prepare one of her special Indonesian dishes, Don't forget to snorkle out to the sunken Japansese 25 meters out in the bay. Sit out on the poarch and take in the scenery and relax.

Room Tip: All units have a great site. There is also a new modern, spacious, family unit which you want to ask...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We recently stayed here for 2 nights. It was a shame we were in a bit of a rush because we could have stayed much longer. We loved it here, the locations is amazing. You have a stunning ocean & mountain view from all of the rooms, and the snorkeling which is right on your doorstep is some of the best in Bali. Iluh (not sure if I spelt that right) is a great hostess and makes you feel very at home, the food was very tasty too.
We will definitely be back next time we are in Bali.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights during a 3 week stay in Bali. The views are great, but our room was so-so. We did not have great weather while we were on the Amed Coast, so that probably affected our experience. It was very hot & humid. The mosquito net in our room was very thick. So we had to choose between an uncomfortably hot night, or sleeping without a mosquito net. The strange part of our stay was when they tried to take our passports. When we checked in, a young girl told us that she need to take our passports for two days. We were staying for two days and were in the middle of a year of traveling, and we were not about to part with our passports. She told us that "the police told them they have to do this". We thought that this must be misunderstanding due to a language barrier. We told her that we were not going to give her our passports -- she could make a copy, she could not take them away from the hotel. We ended up in the lobby/dining area arguing with 3 employees who wanted to take our passports. The manager tried to grab my wife's passport from her hand. They told us to ask other guests who gave them their passports. One gentleman chimed in: "That's [--]. I would not give them my passport. I own this place, and there is no way I would give them my passport." The owner and the manager are husband and wife, and they got into a mini-argument over whether they needed to take our passports. The owner said it best: "There is no way I'm going to give my passport to a teenage girl to take off on her motorbike." Hopefully, they have purchased a copier, and no longer ask guests to part with their passports.

There is no wi-fi and no cell phone reception at Eka Purnama. We were in the middle of a long trip, and needed to plan a boat and hotel in Lombok and other hotels on Bali. We had to walk up the hill in the heat and humidity to make a call or check our e-mail.

Pros:
Great view
Right on the beach
Very inexpensive

Cons:
Our room was not comfortable (it was January), but there are probably better rooms
No cell or wi-fi access
So-so food

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DanS_in_SF
Paris, France
Reviewed January 22, 2013

The view from the bungalows is breathtaking, and Iluh and George are wonderful guests who will recommend the best places to visit around Amed.
Iluh’s Balinese food is simply outstanding.
The Japanese shipwreck is just in front of the hotel for excellent snorkeling. Don’t miss the moonrise over Gunung Rinjani and the sails of the fishermen when they come back to the shore.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FPO-Paris
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amed
Stairway To Heaven Bungalows and Restaurant
Kembali Beach Bungalows
Baliku Dive Resort
Baliku Dive Resort
#3 of 18 in Amed

Been to Eka Purnama Cottages? Share your experiences!