Baliku Dive Resort
$23
$18
  • Breakfast included
$15
Alami Resort and Restaurant(Amed)(Great Value!)
$29
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
Blue Moon Villas(Amed)
$134
All reviewsjapanese wreckthe ownerthe complimentary afternoon tealittle touchesviews are stunningday bedvillage lifehuge bedfishrestaurant areaprivate terracesmall villagelovely spotliberty wreckyogurtreal baliamazing place
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 18, 2013

The Baliku is a great spot if you are looking to leav the old behind. On the SE end of Amed, there is not a great deal going on in the immediate vicinity, but the terrific, spacious rooms and decent restaurant make this a place where you can happily stay within the hotel grounds. The upper rooms are a bit if a steep climb, but they do reward with a fabulous view of the coastline and a sense of isolation and privacy.

We had an issue with a major water leak in our room, symptomatic (along with tired bathroom fillings and dodgy water pressure) perhaps of the need on the part of he owners to spend a bit more on maintenance, but we were moved with a minimum of bother. Little touches like candles and incense in the rooms, a DVD library and complimentary afternoon tea lift the hotel above the rest.

But two other things make Baliku really special: The staff are incredibly obliging, friendly and professional. The hard-working manager is absolutely dedicated to his guests' comfort, and made us feel like royalty. The dive centre is also awesome (I have reviewed separately), and if you've ever thought about learning to scuba, this is the place.

We will certainly be back before the year is out.

Room Tip: Lower numbers are lower down. If you struggle on steep stairs, the upper rooms might be a challenge. Not a huge difference between villa / villa apartment rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Had a great time at Baliku - from my first cautionary reservation email with Donna right up to the payment. It was her response, speed and accommodating style that made me choose Baliku over the two others I wanted to stay in.

Hospitality
This was the most defining aspect of my stay here. I bonded very well with the staff, which, as a single traveller, was important. They went over and above what was expected, and really bent over backwards for me - Wyan Wid and Susasa in particular. It's a cliché thing to say, but I felt more like friends with them by the end of my stay than "staff".

Even the locals were awesome. My driver, Ketut (one of the many) met me at the airport. He was shy at first, but then opened up by the end of the drive. After that, he bumped into me during my walk into the village and offered me a lift to my destination - fantastic, cause it was bloody hot and I had under-estimated the heat! There was also another local, santica, who became my tour guide, taking me to local spots to snorkel, view coral, eat, etc.

Room
Beautiful. Because I was a single traveller and I went off-peak (early Feb), I was given a choice of rooms. I stayed right up the top and had uninterrupted ocean views (with views to Lombok), district views, and mountain views.

I watched the sunrise and sunset many occasions. It's just stunning.

The aesthetics are fantastic - marble floors, poster bed, separate kitchen and wardrobe to park your luggage in. The outdoor living area was generous in size.

My two "criticisms"... better lighting in the bathroom - the fluoro lights (although environment friendly) didn't complement the stone walls and look. In fact, it made it look cold and sterile. The candles helped it look "warmer" but the heat it gave off and the lack of illumination didn't suffice. I did like the bathroom being indoors, though. The last place I went to in Bali had an outdoor bathroom - at night it became an ordeal battling with insects.

Second criticism is that the outdoor dining set up only gave you a fixed time period to eat dinner before you became feasted on as well by the critters. It would be nice to have a small table inside to continue eating once the insects come out to play (I have a bit of an insect-phobia btw, and I hate the way repellents feel/smell on my skin).

What I did love was the option to have food sent up to your room.

Also, I noticed that Donna implemented a lot of the feedback mentioned by other visitors on TripAdisor. Very proactive. It meant that their issues weren’t my issues when I went to stay. And I enjoyed it more for it.

The food was good and wonderfully presented, however, I felt it was too westernised. I love my spice and really wanted to try authentic Balinese/Indonesian food - which I felt would be achievable in Amed as it's not over developed yet. For the second half of my week stay, I went to Blue Moon (which was a free ride away, arranged by both resorts) and ate there. The food was vastly better due to its authenticity.

Location
Amed is gorgeous and down to earth. It has a real community feel and people know each other very well and accommodate. As I said, being a single woman travelling - and a "shyish" one at that, it's the latter that made me feel part of the group.

Snorkelling it good, but not great; GBR is better (closer, but much more expensive). Last time I went to Bali, I stayed in the north west region (also under developed) and snorkelled at menjangan (stayed at Mimpi, btw, which was protected from the floating rubbish from Java). That place had better snorkelling - fish, clarity and coral - but it's also protected and requires a 30min boat ride to). The pebble beach hurt like hell, but there are some sandy coast line you could travel to for next to nothing.

Because the pebbles were too much for me, I arranged a boat to take me to the best places to snorkel in the area. It was relatively inexpensive (I could afford it). The shipwreck is something you need to visit on various times of your stay as different tides, clarity of water means different views.

Another beautiful thing was the water and the US shipwreck in Tumbalen. The water here is so blue it looks enhanced. The marine line is spectacular as is the shipwreck, but it's very popular with tourist, so your best bet is to get there very early (no later than 10am) or late - because it becomes a shtfight to see with the hordes of other divers and snorkelers. Also, as a snorkeler, your access is limited to what's reachable, which means "your spots" get crowded. I would have liked to stay longer when I had snorkelled, but the tourists and their territorial behaviour were off-putting. In menjangan, they were strict with what you could and could not do to preserve the marine life (it was a national park). The shipwreck should have a similar standard applied to it - people where grabbing onto all sorts of things, hoisting themselves up for photos... I felt it should have been treated with more respect rather than as a "prop".

In any case, I'd recommend a visit - or a stay - in this area as well as menjangan - do the north west and east coast of Bali.

And talk to the staff, they have a good idea of what to do around the place as well.

Just wanted to stay thank you to all the people in Amed and Baliku who helped make my stay something very special.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I was disappointed with this hotel initially after reading all the trip advisor reviews.
We took Room 1 with the least stairs to climb. Apparently the other rooms have been renovated and my guess is Room 1 gets requested alot and is next in line for a makeover?
It is looking tired and needs some paint and tidy up. It has a lovely big bed and a television/DVD player that you can't really see due to its corner location and the beds corner post getting in the way, the bathroom was big and nice, hot water didn't work properly for our 3 days which was a bit off putting.
The balcony was nice and large and view was fantastic, especially early in the morning when you can see the fishing boats sailing around.
The pool is a good size, and plenty of lounges, though after 3pm the sun is blocked by the hill.
The staff were nice and helpful, and willing to assist. We only had breakfasts there as despite the rave reviews about the food the restaurant area needed some work and had no atmosphere (we were also in low season so not alot of guests) so we tried other places.
My partner also saw a Rat run across the kitchen. Not a great sign unfortunately but lets be honest, we were in Amed, not a 5 star restaurant
We hired a motorbike (recommended from Tagus) which we used extensively to get around, sightsee and explore as this hotel is one of the last along the coast and is quite a way from other restaurants.
As a place to relax and dive we couldn't fault it, as we are fairly independant travellers and had wheels to get around but if you are expecting alot of options/ammenities in the area I don't think Amed is for you. (warning: no phone reception BUT great wi-fi)
Baliku not a bad place to spend a few days chillin but definitely did not wow me and considering the room was in a tired condition I don't think is worth the money (however the other renovated rooms with higher sea views could be?)

Room Tip: Go for the newly renovated rooms, I am sure the extra stairs workout is worth it
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TheBeigeTraveller
Reviewed April 30, 2013

The amazing blue body wash is all their own and the stairs to our villa made this place one of my favorite places to stay in Bali. Snorkeling was fantastic and going with the guy across the street was extra fun because he brought his brother who is a fish monger. We literally filled the boat with makeral for a fun unexpected morning experience. Highly recommend Baliku Dive Resort.

Room Tip: Villa 3 was a climb to the top but the villa has amazing views worth every step.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Stayed for a few days in march 2013. Hotel is great, fantastic views, peacefull little town.

Make sure you have cash before you get there, the nearest ATM is a good half an hours drive away!

The dive centre was brilliant, very accommodating and the dive guide was excellent to us, and helped us out with transport when we ran out of cash. The local reef is brilliant, try and get a night dive on it if possible. I've been diving all over the world, and while the reefs aren't of the quality of say the Red Sea or Palau... They are still pretty good and you won't be disappointed. I for one will definately be back for more.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple