“Diving the way it should be”
Review of Baliku Dive Resort

Baliku Dive Resort
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Amed
“Diving the way it should be”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

The best dive school in Amed! I have been to Indonesia 3 times in the last 2 years and have returned to baliku every time. The house reef is awesome as it has a shipwreck within a stones throw of the front door, great for day and night dives alike. The owner Murray and the instructor Nico are both professional and easygoing, always up for a laugh but serious when it counts. The diving here is always an adventure compared to a lot of the dive factories around Bali. The food upstairs is awesome, they have quality gear and great dive packages. The only thing they could do to improve is to build a waterslide into the sea.

• Stayed May 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Guernsey
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Although I have never stayed at Baliku, I have certainly eaten there on many occasions. I stayed in Bali for 3 weeks in July/August 2012 and can honestly say Baliku was my favourite place to eat. The steak is a must have - cooked to perfection and not only that the staff there are so attentive and nothing is ever too much trouble. I did have a tour of the accommodation and could not fault it - romantic, clean and beautiful surroundings all rolled into one!
I will be back at the end of 2013 for more!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
melbourne
Reviewed March 25, 2013

The villas are amazing value, beautifully presented, very clean and spacious. Every meal was delicious. The staff were great and were always happy to answer our questions about places to go and culture. One even went and bought some local salt for us to take home. Whilst there are very few hotels at this end of the Amed coast the mountain and sea scenery and connection to local village life more than made up for this and gave us a more authentic, rather than completely touristy holiday. Diving and snorkelling in front of hotel and along coast is some of the best we have done (150 + dives between us). Highly recommend also walking about 800 m back up road to eat at Paradise Bungalows - delicious Balinese food (make sure you ask for it spicy!). The associated dive and transport services were also great.

Room Tip: If you have mobility issues ask for lower villa - still a few steps up though!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
ornage county. ca.
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I stayed 2 nights in Amed and did a shore dive with Baliku. I didn't stay at the resort though, but was fortunate to have Nico as my dive master. He is super patient and knowledgable. Heck, he'll even carry your tank after coming out of the water. I was a little nervous doing my first shore dive ( all my previous ones were boat dives), but he was very good with allaying my fears. So to nico-- mucho gracias for "babysitting" me during my first shore dive!

• Stayed March 2013
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

Today is our final morning at Baliku and we've had a lovely stay. Approximately 3 hours from Denpasar (only 110km so that tells you the state of roads/traffic) this hotel is on a narrow remote road that lines the coast around a tall set of mountains/ hills. Once you're here be prepared to stay put because it's isolated but simply gorgeous.
It's rained a lot which didn't help first impressions but once the sun came out my feelings improved remarkably.
Our room (number 2) is up a steep hill (all rooms are so you've got to be prepared for that - the whole area is a hill) and has a gorgeous dining area and pair of daybeds on the balcony which is delightful and gives you one he'll of a view. We ate every breakfast and dinner here (yes the staff run the food up to you and collect the dirty plates after) plus one lunch.
Inside the room is a bit of a bunker bit it's tastefully fitted out and a cool haven from the heat - yes there's air con.
The bed is huge and has mosquito netting, the bathroom is a good size and the dressing room is fantastic for hiding all your luggage. We have free wifi (what I'm using right now).
Each day we've been out snorkeling around the reef across the road (not as good as Samoa but still very cool) which seems safe enough and we've also gone walking to have lunch at another hotel a couple of times too. We've enjoyed the food (did a separate review) but I was thinking about it last night and one of the reasons I really like it is because it's simple food done well and reminds me od a really good home cooked meal which you really want when you're traveling (well I do).
The best thing aside the views has been the staff. They work their butts off here. Running up and down the hill must be tough and I couldn't imagine the cleaning it takes. Every day they greet us like friends and genuinely ask us how we are and will do anything to help.
Like my title said this place wouldn't be for everyone due to it's location and isolation but that's what we wanted for our honeymoon and its been great!
One suggestion to the owner is to spend a little money tidying up the pool area and sprucing up the restaurant/reception. The staff do their best but they're fighting a losing battle to keep tired furniture and stuff looking top notch. It's quite off putting to have broken furniture by the pool!

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
British Columbia
Reviewed March 3, 2013

The resort rooms are fantastic, with outdoor living space as large as the spacious inside rooms. The rooms are well kept and clean. We had room 7 & both mountain and ocean views. It was very quiet and peaceful. The restaurant was good, nice choices for the included breakfast. The staff were great, very helpul, they sent their shuttle when the horrible shuttle we caught from Ubud dumped us at a roadside warung. Don't ever use Padma shuttle service, they have no a/c and cram people in like sardines, the drivers also lie, this one saying he would drive us to our resort for an additional 50 IDR, then changing his story to 160 IDR, it would have been cheaper to catch a taxi from Ubud. Back to Baliku, loved it, and the great snorkeling out front, so much so that we extended our stay. The restaurant next door at Eka Purnama bungalows is also very good.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Oslo
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I'm just back from a fantastic week's stay at this resort, and, this is definately one of the nicest places I have ever been to !
The reception was warm and eficient, big Bali smiles , and my luggage was missing after my flight and they went out of their way to help get it delivered as soon as possible.
My room was b e a u t i f u l l y decorated, all white and sandstone, an enourmous confortable bed with a breathtaking view on to the close-by sea and surrounding hills, big television and a DVDplayer, fresh flowers all over the place, a lot in the bathroom; big round tub and a "spray" shower, kitchenette, a safe and a mini-bar (what more could you want ?)
Just outside the door, a "living-room"area with table, chairs and, and, and two "beds" for an ouside siesta, every day I had a nap there (and felt like a queen)
The food, not-to-forget the food ! They bake their own bread (I asked..) and the onion-soup tasted better than enyone I ever had when I stayed in Frande...I also wonder if Italians make lasagne like that ???
Do go !!!