Open today: 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM
Review Highlights
Safe, Friendly but very hot!

sampaigetaylor
Toronto, Canada
via mobile
Quick, on-time, felt safe but hot

Ian W

All reviews gili islands fast boat free bird life jackets great boat smooth ride engine trouble ticket price boat companies takes mins safe boat floating pontoon safety features great trip friendly crew open sea free water
Reviewed 1 week ago

Windy day with waves and a bumpy ride but the crew was so much fun, I will just have great memories of my husband bouncing along on the boat with a big smile singing along with the Country Western songs that were playing at his request! LOL They have other choices. You just have to ask.

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Very safe, great staff they were extremely friendly. Only downside is it got very hot! If i did this again id pay to sit up top!

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Save the effort/time and just go to Gili Islands from Padang Bai or Sanur rather than Amed. This company is terrible... first for pick up on the day, they did not even check in with us they just waited minutes outside our hotel and then left us when we didn’t come out right away. They did not even see our faces that is how quickly they left us. Then we had to walk 20 minutes with large luggage to harbour. But I thought, well that sucks, but it’s not the worst thing. But then it continued to worsen! Got to the harbour and we mentioned near the end of check in about the pickup service disappointment and they were making up nonsense reasons as to why they didn’t pick us.up. This was very frustrating. Not even a “sorry!”. THEN we got on the boat and there was zero AC and it was a very rough bumpy ride so myself and many passengers felt very sick. It’s undertandbale it would be rough waters, but making it so hot inside the boat does not help! We couldn’t even open the windows because the “customers” behind us didn’t want to be misted by water by the waves. So we felt so sick the entire time. And to top it off we couldn’t even ride on the top of the fast boat without paying 50K!!! So disappointed and frustrated with this company. Took a different fast boat back from gili to Padang bai (Karunia Jaya fast boat) and it was AMAZING. AC, so much smoother due to larger boat, a movie playing, could go on the top, etc. Just save yourself and go witH another company.

Reviewed 1 week ago

We just did a roundtrip on the FreeBird from Amed to Gili T and back. I am a very nervous boater & get sea sick so I was anxious for days before the trip reading reviews... So if that's you here is my experience! Take a seasick tablet 45 minutes before going, our trip over was a bit rough and I would have been sea sick without it. The way back was much smoother and I probably would have been fine without it but you don't know until you are out there...

Yes it gets rough, it's the open water, but the boat was capable of handling it fine, there were plenty of lifejackets, plenty of staff. On the way over we had to shut one set of windows due to spray, but on the way back both sides were open.

The boat is hot so come prepared. We gave them 4 stars because in today's age why not get air-conditioning?? That is the worst part of the whole journey, being hot waiting for the boat, hot on the boat and hot when you get there (but that's also SE Asia, isn't it?). Anyway, we had a spray bottle with a drop of peppermint in it to cool our kids off, a wet wash cloth and bottled water. We don't tolerate the heat and we were fine.

On both journeys our boat left within 10 minutes of scheduled departure, the staff loaded & unloaded our luggage (and our twin 2 year olds) wonderfully. On our trip to Gili T with somewhat rough seas it took 1 hour and on the way back it was less.

Enjoy, the Gili islands are definitely something to experience and the boat ride was worth it!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

It is obvious the moment you arrive at the harbor that the Freebird Express team are professionals. You must check in with passport, they seemed thorough. Very safety minded, friendly.......and we left harbor very close the EXACT time we were scheduled to. On this day the seas were very calm. I’m certain some days are quite bumpy but with a professional crew, I’d feel very comfortable.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My boyfriend and I have been visiting Bali now for the last seven years on business and on our most recent trip we decided to take a short trip out to the Gilis from Amed. We decided to try the FreeBird Express and my are we glad we did!! Definitely one of the most well put together operations that we have experienced. Staff are super nice and service that we received was perfect in every way. They picked us up from our hotel on time, got us to the boat, and took great care of our luggage through the whole process. The boat is in perfect condition and seemed very safe and well taken care of. We will definitely be using FreeBird for any future trips to the Gilis and highly recommend that you do too.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Fast boat to Gili was easy. Check in was simple and all on time. Obviously be prepared for choppy seas. Always see reviews about it being bumpy..... what do you expect on a fast speed boat?

amedscott, Guest Relations Manager at FreeBird Express, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thank you William for your review- short and simple is sometimes all that needs to be said and with regards to the bumpy and complaints at times from guests- well said!! :) Thank you so much for choosing our service as well, much appreciated.

Regards

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

On time, friendly staff. Safe and not overloaded. Plenty of life vests.. This is Indonesia , it's not gonna be the same as the West... Stop whining about your wait.. Enjoy the weather

amedscott, Guest Relations Manager at FreeBird Express, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Pete, Thank you and Thank you again for your review- appreciate everything you mentioned in your review and we have to agree with you on each point actually. Hope to see you back one on board FB Express- would be a pleasure to welcome you back.

Regards

From Gili Air to Amed.

No A/C, limited natural air, the feeling that the front of the boat is going to snap every time it lands on the water - this boat has got it all!

Definitely in my top 3 most uncomfortable experiences, and the other 2 aren't TripAdvisor friendly.

We made it to Amed, but I'd suggest taking BlueWater Express to Padang Bai instead.

An extra star because "feeling like I'm going to die at sea" was on my bucket list.

I am not sure how to respond to your review so i wont.. I am guessing you are a comedian when you are not off traveling abroad or perhaps a journalist- either way good luck!!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My husband and I booked to go to Gili Air on the Freebird express there and return, and paid in advance. We had to wait for over an hour and a half in the scorching sun for our boat by which time my husband started feeling a little ill. We boarded the boat and as soon as we took off we had to close all the windows as we were wliterally engulfed in water. There was no air conditioning. It was a living hell, no air, the bumpiest ride I have ever been on. My husband was sweating Conker's and was sick. We still couldn't open any windows so I begged someone behind me to borrow their fan so I could keep my husband cool. He proceeded to lose use of his arms and passed out. Once we got to Gili T, nobody who worked on the boat cared and myself and a few kind passengers lifted my unconscious husband out of the boat and to shore where many people on the beach came to his aid. The people on the boat seemed annyoed I had to get my luggage off a stop early and showed no sympathy even though I was in tears. We were left on the beach and thankfully some locals brought wet towels, sugary drinks and helped him when he came round. They offered us 50 percent of our return journey back and that is all. For that living hell we went through. Go with a company with a bigger boat with air conditioning and ventilation. Please save yourself the torment. I am awaiting an apology for their terrible service and for a full refund for this.

HI Alice, First of all we are so sorry that your experience with us so bad and Hell as you mentioned. The day you traveled with us was a big ceremony and the areas that normally the guests can sit and wait for the boat to depart were not available and for that we are truly sorry. You were one of the first pick ups of the morning as your hotel was one of the furthest away but with that being said we were running about 30 minutes late that day which did account for you waiting for so long at the harbor. I have had a meeting with ALL of the crew about the day you went out with us and not one crew member mentioned that we had a unconscious passenger onboard where as the other passengers lifted him off the boat and on to the beach. For anyone that has been on our boat will travel on our boat there is a ladder that you must go down at the front part of the boat to disembark- not sure how a unconscious guest even with the assistance could ever get off the boat. As i mentioned in a prior reply we are hoping to have Air Conditioning very soon and that will be a great thing of course for everyone and we are just sorry we did not have it when you traveled with us. There are only 2 companies that i am aware of that have it as of now from Bali to Gilis and NO one one in Amed so we will be the first. BTW, i emailed you 4 days ago as soon as i read your review as i wanted to discuss what you said happened but as of now i have not received anything back from you- we do take this seriously. Thank you!