“Comfortable stay to end our trip”

The Natsepa Resort and Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Ambon
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Comfortable stay to end our trip”
Reviewed December 25, 2013

The room was comfortable, but nothing spectacular and showed a fair bit of wear and tear. Also, the room was mosquito-heaven (we cought 17 in a "hunting trip" in the bathroom). Beds were very comfortable.

The staff at checkin was very helpful, arranging a quick cleaning of the only available room in the hotel, pointed out a discounted package rate (which made this stay quite good value for money and arranged a tasty "breakfast box" for our very early checkout.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed December 24, 2013

We were very disappointed with the hotel. The room was average with no decorations, and very basic, with a lot of peeling paint and stains on the walls and floors and the shower leaks more water than what you get from the shower head. The bed was uncomfortable, as we both had backaches after being in bed for a few hours. The advertised free WIFI internet was a joke, as we were only able to connect 3 or 4 times for a few minutes in twelve days. Two small bottles of drinking water were provided each day, but it was far from enough, as we had to fill water bottles a few times each day at the dive shop.

The food was a big problem for Western tastes, as the menu was almost all Indonesian. The few western choices were often not available, for two days they didn't have lettuce for a salad and no chicken on other days. The restaurant staff were friendly, but need a lot of training. It seemed that the hardest thing to get was a glass of water. It seemed that the staff were afraid of us because of their lack of English, so it was hard to get anyone's attention. The one good thing was that for the breakfast buffet you could get some pastry buns and corn flakes (with warm milk) and you could order eggs.

Although the hotel lobby is gorgeous, the rest of the hotel needs major repairs and a lot of work to bring it up to a decent standard. It's not that the hotel is dirty, as the cleaning staff were good, but it seems that if something is broken or not working, it is just ignored.

When we checked out we thought that we would get a rating sheet to fill out, but since they don't do that, we told the front desk staff some of the problems and all they wanted to hear about was the internet problems, to tell us that it was a problem for the whole island (which we don't believe).

We stayed at this hotel because we booked a trip with the dive operation "Dive into Ambon." The dive shop was very well run, and had excellent facilities. We would definitely recommend the diving, and the managers, Kaj and Barb will take good care of you, but unfortunately there is not too much they can do about the hotel, but they try, and will call to attempt to fix any problems you have with the hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ScubadiversM-M

Travelers are raving about these Ambon hotels

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 23, 2013

The room is spacious, clean and nice. Food are a little inconsistent - they are really good on some night but on some other night it wasn't that great. Its still palatable but definitely could do much better for a resort this size. The Wifi connection is poor but you can get fairly reliable connection at the lobby. They give you a modem to use in the room but we couldn't get it to work. The staff was very attentive, they were are always helpful when you need them.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank dinmix
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed December 6, 2013

I recently stayed overnight at the Aston in Ambon purely as a transit stop as I had a very early flight the next day. The hotel is about halfway between the Ambon airport and Ambon city and sits on a section of Natsepa Beach. It is essentially in the middle of nowhere but I chose the property purely because it was closer to the airport. The hotel bills itself both as a resort property as well as a convention and conference centre and comprises of two blocks of rooms separated by the reception area and restaurant areas.

CHECK-IN
I arrived at the hotel and check in was a generally painful and long process with two staff on duty, They seemed very relaxed as they just had a large convention group check out. I had asked for a discount given that I would be departing the hotel at about 4.00am the next day to catch a very early morning flight. Both staff started to beat around the bush and I asked them to refer it to their senior management or front office manager, to which they replied that no management persons were working as it was a holiday. They continued to offer me their rack rates and finally I could not wait any longer and checked it having them swipe my credit card. As I discovered later the reception area is swarming with mosquitoes in the evening.

ROOM
The room was generously sized, appeared well maintained and had a balcony facing the beach and the pool areas but the views were totally obscured by overgrown trees outside. The room featured a kind sized double bed, writing desk, flat screen TV, bedside tables, a single lounge chair and small table, wardrobe with unremoveable hangers, electronic safe, fully stocked refrigerator and coffee and tea amenities. The surfaces of one of the bedside tables showed something had been burning on it directly and the interconnecting door to the next room was rather thin that I could hear both telephone conversations and normal conversations going on. Internet connection in the room was slow and came on and off.

BATHROOM
The bathroom comprised a shower staff, sink and vanity area, large mirror, toilet and bidet hose, towel rack, retractable clothes line, basic toiletry amenities, hair dryer and bath and hand towels. Points to note were that the clothing hook behind the door was falling off, the hot water had to run for about 15 minutes before it became hot enough for a hot shower, the tiles below the shower head near the floor looked stained with fungus or something and the drainage hole did not appear to be draining properly. These were reported but no action was taken.

FOOD & BEVERAGE
i went in to the restaurant to have a typical Indonesian lunch of soup kambing (oxtail soup) and gado gado (a salad with peanut sauce). I was then informed that I could have the soup kambing in the restaurant but I would have to have the gado gado at the poolside stall for some strange reason which I did not understand as all food came from one kitchen. The restaurant staff said that I could sit at the poolside and they would bring the soup kambing to me. I sauntered off to the poolside stall and ordered a gado gado and the staff there nodded his head. After that I walked off to the dive centre and returned 15 minute later to the poolside stall and was informed that they were not open as yet and he asked me to go back to the restaurant. At the restaurant the staff asked me to wait at a table for my food and now they decided that I could have my gado gado while seated at the restaurant and they would bring it to me. After a wait of about 15 minutes, the gado gado arrived followed by the soup kambing. The food although palatable was nothing exciting.

DIVE CENTRE
The dive centre recently opened and made a big splash at their respective dive website pointing out that there were already operational and running dive trips. When I paid a visit to the dive centre which was close to the pool, it was about nearly 12 noon. I could see it was a brand new set up. Through the glass panels I could a large table with books on diving and underwater photography scattered about, a dedicated photographers' room with work surfaces for cameras, etc. The two workers in the garden outside the dive centre just told me that everybody had gone home. The centre was dead quiet and from the look of the rinse tanks it did not appear that anybody had dived on that particular morning. There was no signage as to what time they would re-re-open again and thus I left and did not bother to return again.

SWIMMING POOL
The swimming pool is the largest of all hotel swimming pools in Ambon and the busiest but the water was very cloudy as I discovered when I jumped in to do my laps. Judging from the number of daybags scattered all around the pool, there were many more outsiders using the pool than hotel guests. There was a remark from one of the members of the public who used the pool frequently, that the water always appeared to be cloudy. There were only 4 deck chairs and the rest of the pool furniture appeared to be scattered all over the place, courtesy of the members of the public. There were swimmers who used the pool fully clothed. There was also a small childrens' pool which was also crowded and the water was also cloudy. There was a long narrow lagoon pool running next to the premium lagoon rooms. The water here appeared to be better then the main pool probably due to less people using it but there was garbage like paper cups and plastic bags littering the edge/boundary of the lagoon pool.

GROUNDS AND GENERAL MAINTENANCE
A quick walk around the general circulation areas of the hotel shows that the property has largely been neglected and a poor standard of maintenance. There were cracks all over the place and sections of certain walkways/pavements had broken off. Garbage was conveniently swept to certain corners which were thought to be less noticeable. Landscaping and tidiness needs to be improved. There seem to be a few staff here and there doing nothing.

BEACH
The section of the beach where the hotel sits on is totally unsuitable for swimming.

BILLING
I had asked for my food bill to be billed to my room. Simple as it sounds, I then retired to my room to rest and eventually fell asleep. I then was awakened on 3 consecutive occassions: the first by one of the staff of the restaurant who knocked at my door and claimed that the front office staff said that I could not charge any bills to my room as they had swiped my credit card for my room on check in and closed my account after that. I told the staff to refer it to their manager in charge. Then I went back to sleep and was awakened by another two calls from the front office asking me to pay up immediately as I had no credit line with them, I was furious and told them to re-open my account that being the obvious thing to do. When the second call came in I shouted at the person on the other end and told him not to bother me again and went back to sleep. I have never encountered a similar level of incompetence with regards to a simple billing arrangement.

CONCLUSION
As I said earlier I only chose the Aston due to its closer proximity to the airport. There are no convenient restaurants or any attractions near or in the vicinity of the hotel. The property bills itself as a meeting and conference centre cum resort and as a four star property in terms of pricing but it falls far short of it in terms of service and maintenance standards and as compared to its other sister Aston properties in Java where I have stayed at. It would take a lot to convince me to ever stay there again, even if the room was complimentary.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank HKChong
Reviewed November 23, 2013

This property is ok, but the diving is wonderful. New dive shop, Dive Into Ambon connected to the hotel and the shop is 1st class. The hotel needs repair, a spa and wifi. The internet connection is poor.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Judith C
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Probably the largest hotel in ambon, beatifuly located at Natsepa beach, directly facing to bagoala bay with its amazing sunset view.

Indeed; the location is bit far from the city but not an issue for us as we stayed here as part of our diving package with DiveintoAmbon, a very profesional dive center based in this hotel.

The room is spacious and clean. The bathroom is large but the shower was leak; need some repair or replaced with new one.

The staff was very attentive, they were trying their best to help but more training will help them a lot to cater the requirement of international traveller.

Food - breakfast and buffet dinner - is another story here - mediocre at the best. The The restaurant mostly serves local meal, very hot and spicy.(nothing wrong with that) but not much variety, typically overcooked vegy, chicken, fish and surprisingly the selection of tropical fruits was very poor.
Considering the tap water is not suitable for drinking (even after boiled) the complimentary drinking water - 2 very small bottled water - in the room was a joke.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank wisnu315
Ambon
Reviewed October 20, 2013

If you cannot find happiness during your stay here, stop looking. There isn't a better place you'll find. The staff will go above and beyond to meet any expectations you may have.
The staff absolutely could not be more helpful
The accommodations are second to none.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andrzej P
Natsepaambon, General Manager at The Natsepa Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Andrzej,

Warmest Greeting from Aston Natsepa Ambon Resort and Conference Center,

Thank you very much for your valuable positive feedback. We will maintain our good service and product to meet and exceed guest expectation. I will be proud to share your feedback to all of our colleagues here in Aston Ambon.

Best Regards,