“Comfortable hotel with good service”

Citrus Hotel Lonavala
Ranked #6 of 70 Hotels in Lonavala
Reviewed April 7, 2012

Just back from a short weekend stay at Lonavala where we put up at Citrus after going through the reviews on TA. Let me say that we were not disappointed and quite enjoyed our brief stay for 2 days and one night. True to the reviews, the staff are extremely polite and courteous and the hotel is quite neat, clean and well maintained. Yes, we did meet the affable and now quite famous Mr. Biswas at the hotel reception. He was extremely polite and helpful. Every one including the chef was eager to serve with a smile. Now for all my fellow travellers, let me list down the plus and minus for your benefit :

First the good points :
1. As mentioned earlier, extremely polite and helpful staff. Be sure to be well taken care of when you stay here.

2. Neat and clean ambience.

3. The hotel has a nice small lawn where you can relax in the evening and enjoy your dinner or snacks. Good place for kids to just run around too !

4. A very nice and inviting swimming pool with extremely alert and helpful hotel staff who'll ensure there are enough towels for you. Small kiddy pool for your kids too. Also for the uninitiated in swimming, the pool is shallow enough for you to enjoy even if you do not know how to swim. In fact you can walk across the pool.

5. In room mini bar is quite reasonable and room service is quite fast and prompt.

6. There's also an in house mini theatre for you to enjoy a movie with family. But most of the movies are in Hindi, hence might not be enjoyed if you are unaware of the language.

7. Located within a quiet residential area of Lonavala.

Now the few but concerning areas :

1. If you book your stay on phone, the lady asks for your credit card number and expiry date. The card gets charged only of you do not turn up. But to me its a constant threat of probable misuse.

2. The room fresheners need to be upgraded or changed. As I never got the proverbial "citrus" aroma inside the room or the lobby. In fact the room smelt of stale air.

3. Do confirm well in advance on the view that you'll get from your room. All premier rooms are facing a building under construction right next door. In fact your window panes if opened can almost touch that building.

4. The hotel is currently undergoing a huge expansion plan. The lawn and your dinner / breakfast area is hence right next to the area of dusty construction ( although the area under renovation has been quite cleverly covered up. )

5. Extremely small bathroom with average quality of toiletries. In fact you do expect much better stuff from a four star hotel. The shower enclosure had a drainage problem causing water to accumulate for a long time after bath.

6. I was warned earlier on this forum and am warning others too......BEWARE OF THE TWIN BEDS ! Yes, they join two beds in a room to make one. Tough for a family of two adults and one small kid to have a great sleep unless you specifically ask them to change the two mattresses for a big single one ( no charge ) else order for an additional single mattress ( Rs 500) for a bed on the floor !. The website speaks of rollaway bed facility for Premier Rooms, but the same doesn't seem to exist.

7. Food is quite reasonable but quality may be questionable. High on spices, color and tomatoes and extremely low on variety. Did not try the famous pizzas. Hence can't comment on them. The dinner buffet had no chicken item. The overall quality and appeal was average at the most. The breakfast spread was again just about average with oily parathas and aloo ( potato ) sabzi ( curry ). The parathas smelt of recycled oil and were too greasy.
However, you can choose what to have and enjoy a decent breakfast if you avoid certain items on the menu altogether. But, for a Four Star hotel, FOOD WAS A CERTAIN DISAPPOINTMENT.

To summarise, I felt that the overall experience was nice and comfortable and could certainly be better if the above concern points are also taken care of.

For the future travellers who might get confused locating the hotel, just remember to reach the LONAVALA TELEPHONE EXCHANGE. Then keeping the telephone exchange on your left , go straight and you'll reach a cross road. Take the diagonal ( north west ) road ahead. You'll pass through landmarks like MATRU CHHAYA Guest House and TEACHERS AND STUDENTS HOLIDAY HOME on your left. The hotel is just ahead on the right.

All the best !

Room Tip: Premier Rooms are big enough for a small family but come with a view to a construction site right ne...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank NEELBHAI
Sandeep C, General Manager at Citrus Hotel Lonavala, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2017

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking your valuable time and effort in sharing your feedback as it enables us to measure and improve our performance.

I apologise for the inconvenience caused to you during your visit to the hotel. Kindly accept our sincere apologies for not giving you the high standard of hospitality which is the general norm of our hotel. The problems that you mentioned have been brought to the attention to our heads of department. While the lack of service you experienced is unusual and not the standard of our hotel, We apologise for the inconvenience and annoyance those incidents caused.

I request you to please treat this incident as non-representative of the Citrus experience and give us another opportunity to make amends.

Reviewed April 6, 2012

Firstly I want to thank Mr. Sandeep for taking our booking and making a tentative reservation all the way from Mumbai (just a day prior, without an advance payment). Also would like to thank Mr. Srikant and Mr. Biswas who were excellent at helping with the booking and welcoming us.

Very clean rooms, infact exactly like the pics on their site.

Extremely polite staff, food was excellent, and our stay was a memorable one... I will definately visit Citrus again....

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank yuliamendes
Sandeep C, Front Office Manager at Citrus Hotel Lonavala, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2017

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking your valuable time & effort in sharing your wonderful experience. I am pleased to note that the experience at Citrus Resorts met your expectations & made your stay enjoyable.

We value your support and look forward to having more opportunities to be of service to you.

Reviewed February 15, 2012

We really had great time. Great Place, Great Location, Rooms were Awesome, Staff member were excellent, food was excellent, Indoor, Games etc.
Dear reader you should once experience this Hotel.
We had great time and celebrated our Wedding Aniversary there.
Thanks & Regards
Tapan

Room Tip: Always Slect a Room where you can have good view.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lovely_dude

Reviewed February 9, 2012

The review is a bit long, so please bear with me!

The purpose of our visit was to have a break from our busy life and hence we went through the various options available for two days stay in and around Mumbai. We have been to Lonavala quite a few number of times; hence we had no interest in the surroundings and just wanted a place to chill out while staying inside the hotel.

Prior to this trip of ours, we had stayed in a suite in Hotel Fariyas in Lonavala for one week in Dec 2009. The reason we keep coming back to Lonavala is due to its proximity and the excellent weather which remains throughout the year.

We homed on to Hotel Citrus based on our research, inputs from Travel desk from my wife’s office, the hotel website and the desire to see a new place.

Before we booked, we went through almost all the reviews of the property on almost all possible websites and very much knew the shortfalls – two single bed joined to make a double bed, hotel is right in the centre of a residential area, hence no view whatsoever, business oriented hotel, etc, etc.

As we drove from Mumbai to Lonavala, I trusted my MapmyIndia to lead me through the narrow lanes of Lonavala to this hotel. Alas! For one full hour we sweeped through the length and breadth of the town, just because the GPS showed the hotel in some other place! It really got me very irritated and we thereafter called up the hotel to guide us. The lady at the reception was extremely prompt and courteous and she stayed on the phone for good about 10 minutes till we reached the hotel, guiding us at every turn. Anyways, we reached, checked in and got our room.

I was extremely irritated and was in a bad mood due to extra hour spent on road and hence, as we reached the room – well we found the room slightly small and not very much upto our satisfaction level (later we did realise that it was because we were actaully comparing it with some place we visited earlier!). And to top it all, we did find some stains on the toilet seat. Not a great start to our trip! However, this was also the turning point of our thinking or our impression about the hotel.

Our observation in the toilet was cleared within minutes. And also, to be very frank, after some time we did find the room quite warm and comfortable. Every possible equipment and fittings worked as they should have. We liked the all-in-one wired remote for all electrical fittings in the room. We had all our meals there in the hotel, used both the room service and in-restaurant dining options and also used the wi-fi internet option. Breakfast on both days was buffet. After a very comfortable and well cherished stay, we checked out on 07 Feb 12. Some general observations are:-

(a) The hotel staff is extremely courteous. I would like to stress on the word ‘extremely’ again. This was the best staff interaction I have ever had in any of the places we have ever stayed, including the one I have mentioned earlier. No matter who, what, where, he will wish you everytime you cross them. They were also found to be going out of their way to ensure completion of jobs. We just loved it!

(b) During the stay, we wrote some reviews as and when the hotel staff produced the forms in front of us. We mostly had good things to say, however, we did write one observation regarding not liking the taste of the tea, and within five minutes we had someone coming from the catering staff requesting us exactly what we didn’t like about the tea and soon thereafter, we were served freshly made tea, as per our liking, without any extra charge. We liked the promptness.

(c) The hotel doesn’t have much to offer as far as outside activities are concerned. But, we never wanted any, as our definition of holidays meant having a relaxed time, mostly indoors. So we didn’t miss any such activity. However, we did use some of the board games provided in the dining area.

(d) The restaurant is good. Food quality was good, though slightly oily. Servings are big, easily shareable between two person. Service is prompt, even the in-room service. We liked the ambience of the restaurant. Its kind of garden type, with greenery all around, good and comfortable chairs. Breakfast was good. Not a lavish spread of items, but quite sufficient for a hearty breakfast. Liked their pizzas and indian preparations.

(e) Room was a bit small, we stayed in delux room, but comfortable for two. The linen quality on the bed was great, just that everything on the bed was single, which were joined to make them double. However, not much of an irritant for us. Overall, good sleep quality.

(f) I used the wi-fi, which to my surprise, was provided free. I used it for 2 hours, so I am not very sure what are the charges for longer usage. Connection speed was decent.

(g) We were there on weekdays, so not much of crowd in the hotel. We liked the general peace inside the property.

(h) The room had everything which should be there, airconditioning, sufficeint lighting, fridge, LCD TV (22 inch i guess) with almost all basic channels, basic toiletries, etc. So no complain whatsoever on this front as well.

Overall, extremely satisfied with the trip. Would like to go again and would recommend this to my friends and relatives as well.

Room Tip: Corner rooms at the end of the alleyway are better (stayed in room 17 on first floor) as they are l...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AMIT S

Reviewed February 1, 2012

I stayed at Citrus as a guest in a wedding. Food was very good with nice service and hospitality. I liked the arrangement of the restaurant there. Staff is very helpful. They have good recreational facilities too, however, as i was informed they are going to demolish those. I would suggest hotel guys not to do so. I had a good experience staying at the hotel. I even remember names of some good guys there (Panna- the taxi driver, Lalit - Manager). Thanks guys for good hospitality.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Mr. Jain,

At The Citrus Hotels, we are committed to exceeding our guest’s expectations and your feedback motivates us to strive harder. We believe, it is the small details which make a big difference and help us create very special moments for our guests.

I do look forward to seeing you more often at Citrus and will look to meeting you up soon

Reviewed January 24, 2012

Citrus is very close to the highway so it is easily accessible. Though it is situated very close to the city centre it is very quiet and peaceful around the hotel. Rooms are very small and cozy & separate beds in the Double bedroom - I don't know why? But the service at the hotel is also very good and staffs are quite friendly. Food is good

Room Tip: Take Premier rooms
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank sarojboss

Reviewed January 23, 2012

Had gone to Lonavla to celebrate the New Year in Dec'11.... Had a nice stay at the place... Stayed at Premier rooms.. which was fairly comfortable....apart from the irritating bed arrangements... I mean where do u find nowadays two separate beds in a couple room rather than one single bed??? .. Food is good .. esp. the Pizza and Pasta... Try the pizza from their wood fired brick oven, which was quite nice...

The biggest drawback of the place was the location which is bang in the middle of a residential coloney and therefore offers nothing by the way of location.... New Year party was a damp squib.. The games were either non existing or plain boring.. The drinks which were included in the evening package were free only between 8-10 pm hello !!!!! what was that... and how come this was never mentioned... the starters were always in short supply in the evening...

All in all a good place but may not go there again... i think when people choose to go to hill stations (ok not by North India standards, but still 1500 ft) they go there with an expectation of views, balconies etc.. all of which was sadly missing here...

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple