“A 2 star hotel? look into the night sky to see the 2 stars”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bijapur
Shashinag Residency Hotel
Brisbane, Australia
“A 2 star hotel? look into the night sky to see the 2 stars”
Reviewed April 28, 2012

Arriving at the hotel we were meet by 7 staff 4 of whom set about carrying our luggage to our room, we only had 2 suitcases plus our hand luggage.The room was both clean and dirty (if that makes sense) the sheets were clean as was the blanket that had a hole in it ,the rest needed a good clean-- no towels were in sight, (we raided the laundry cupboard ourselves), the remote for the aircon was missing although we did get one after a request.
The 2 external doors as well as the bathroom door had no locks, light fittings were missing, out of the 4 lights ceiling lights above the bed one fitting was missing another hung down by its wires the other 2 worked just fine.
I had lunch in the dining room, a vegetarian one at that, as the tables were dirty my wife chose not to eat, fortunately we had some fruit we had purchased earlier she had that for lunch and we both had fruit for dinner.
No hot water in the bathroom that night-
Our driver/guide took us for a tour in the afternoon where we collectively decided to leave at 6.30am the next morning , without breakfast, at the appointed time we left the building like 2 thieves for the drive to Goa.
Our driver, unbeknown to us, had reported to his Kochi office that we were not happy with the hotel.In the morning Kochi was on the phone to us apologising.We assured them that we had been warned before we left home that 2 star was not good but we still chose to stay there.
In a email to Kochi we sent a photo of where some casual farmers live (see photo)
WHAT HAVE WE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank John S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I stayed 2 nights in room #112, and both nights the hotel projected Bollywood music videos onto a large screen in the garden right outside my room. After the music videos stopped, it sounded like there were dogs barking IN the hotel - this is a very noisy place!

Check-in was lightning fast. My room had clean sheets, comfortable bed, powerful AC and an OK bathroom with hot water. Breakfast both mornings was tea, toast and an omelette.

Don't expect much at the Shashinag Residency and you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs - and because the hotel is way out of town, having your own transport is helpful.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Retirada
York UK
Reviewed February 13, 2012

Just don't go there if you can possibly avoid it - it would be closed down if it was in the UK!
We were travelling in a group of four and our hearts sank as we entered the lobby.
My husband and I were shown to our rooms and our hearts sank even further. The fan was incredibly noisey and the air con just didn't work. We were then shown to another room where the air con came on if the staff fiddled with it. The bed linen looked decidely tired and grubby so we decided to ask for another sheet in which to cocoon ourselves.There was no water or kettle ( the only place on our 3 weeks travels not to supply one) just a dirty looking jug on a dirty tray.

We next went into the bathroom( i will spare you the sordid details) to discover there was no hot water. A very aggressive member of the hotel staff told us that Indian people only needed it in the morning. We had travelled all day and needed a shower which I would imagine would be the case with all tourists wishing to visit Bijapur. We were told there would be water in 10 minutes - it never did happen that night.
We went to the restuarant where the table cloths were stained with food - we tried turning one over but it was equally as bad on the other side! The food was surprisingly good - we went for the vegetarian option to be on the safe side!
The curtains were still drawn when we went in for breakfast - the waiter hastily re drew them when he saw the mess on the window sill and in the garden from the night before!
Thank goodness it was only a one night stay.
Personally I don't think Bijapur is worth a visit given this hotel but also because the terrible noise made by shouting and screaming in the mausoleum itself makes it impossible to enjoy.The rest of the sight seeing tour is interesting but not really worth the journey given the alternatives in the rest of Karnataka.

Room Tip: Just don't go there! I suspect all the rooms were of the same quality and cleanliness.If you fee...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank TrishYorkUK
Pulborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 15, 2011

This was my 7th Hotel on my travels throughout India. All my Hotels had been prebooked by an agency when I had told them where I wanted to go. I understand that Bijapur is a small village and won't have the top notch Hotels (which I don't particularly need anyway) but this was quite an experience. on arrival the Hotel looks quite nice, set back from the main road and quite tidy. BUT the receptionist was very unfriendly, the room was, well um.... A cupboard door missing, a dirty curtain separating the sitting area from the bedroom, an awful shower room with slats on the wall looking out to another wall!!!! mould creeping up the door etc. The Balcony, which was a good size had a grotty old table on it and broken plastic chairs. I didn't eat there that night and survived on bananas and snacks! Next morning I went down for breakfast, saw the dining room (tatty and dirty) and was asked if I would like to sit outside, which I did. I was offered another plastic table with another dirty tablecloth on it. Having been asked if I would like an omlette or something else cooked I declined, (what would the fat have been like that it was cooked in?) I ordered toast and jam and a BLACK coffee to be safe. When my meal came ages later the butter was rancid and had some sort of black thin in it (maybe a bug) I could only eat one mouthful of toast and a couple of gulps of the coffee. I decided I needed to check out and contacted my agent asap. I was offered another Hotel in Bijapur (the only other one the agency used) which I think was called Madhuvan International which was much nicer and closer to the town. As I was moving on to Badami the next day I declined and went straight to my next Hotel, only because of unpacking and packing my suitcase again! The 2nd Hotel looked ok and I could have eaten there!! The ironic thing is, the Manager of Shashinag was upset to see me go, begged me to reconsider my decision to leave and offered me a free lunch!!!!!!!!!!! I told him once again I could not eat there.

Room Tip: Don't do it at all
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank jools011
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed March 5, 2011

It is easy to say to stay away from this hotel: the other reviewers are absolutely right. On the other hand: I'm pretty sure that you don't have a lot of other options when you want to visit the sights of Bijapur. And they ARE worth a stay (one night max!) in this drab hotel. Our bathroom was clean enough and the same was true for the linen in the rooms. But a fluorescent tube to light your room doesn't really give you a warm feeling to say the least. To top it all off: as we arrived we noticed the hotel staff setting up a huge screen in the garden... We dreaded what came next: they projected Indian MTV with loud music a good part of the evening. Great for the locals, not so great for the tourists. By the way: the food we ordered was cheap and not bad at all. You honestly can't recommend this place, but what choice do you have? And don't forget: this IS India!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MaartenMike
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 8, 2010

Total nightmare this place! Stay away!
We booked and prepaid 3 nights at sahib rate of 2,500/- per room per night.
While the bedrooms were OK, the bathrooms were totally disgusting.
The swimming pool had not been used for years and was half full of green water, there was a live wasps nest on one of the balconies, there was dog poo on the floor of one of the function rooms in the basement, there was rubbish and dirt everywhere on the stairs leading down to the restaurant.
And to cap it all you on a busy main road miles away from Bijapur – useless location.
I tried to get a refund on nights 2 and 3 – the manager said no, hence this review.
And no cleaning women to seen anywhere! Just blokes milling around which is never a good sign of a hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank bedlam_fiddler9
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed September 13, 2010

I booked through a telephone call at Shashinag Residency for a supposedly A/C deluxe room, which was the most expensive room. I was told that it is pretty close to the railway station in Bijapur. But that was very far from the truth, its miles away from the town in a location that can be easily described as " god forsaken place".
I was then given the room and I am of the habit of checking the bathroom condition immediately when I step in. The only way to describe the cleanliness level was "horrendous" I complained and immediate rude reply was the cleaning staff are on leave !!!!
I insisted on another room and even there the shower was leaking and there were footmarks on the wet bathroom floor. I refused that room too and as a last resort I was given another one. This time around, the whole room stunk of cigarette smoke!!!

I said that was it. I refused to stay at the place. I asked for a refund (which they did, surprisingly, maybe because I said I was a doctor doing some work for the government) and left the place.
Reception staff have no idea of customer service and I strongly suggest you stay miles away from this hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank Chinnu95
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bijapur
Clarks Inn Badami
Clarks Inn Badami
#1 of 3 in Badami
Sabala Heritage Home
Sabala Heritage Home
#1 of 12 in Bijapur
Hotel Mayura Adilshahi Bijapur

Been to Shashinag Residency Hotel? Share your experiences!