“Nice enough facilities - woeful staff!”

and 1 more site!
Alleppey Prince Hotel
Ranked #47 of 68 Hotels in Alappuzha
Hull
“Nice enough facilities - woeful staff!”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

On arrival, the Alleppey Prince Hotel conveys an air of civility and comfort familiar to most western 3-star hotels.

The reception area is tiled and clean and the staff are formally dressed. The rooms are spacious and clean with large double beds and more than adequate wardrobe space. The toilet and shower facilities are clean and satisfactory (after lodging for 4 days in Nepalese mountain tea houses, it felt positively luxurious).

On the evening of my arrival, I organised a boat tour of the local backwaters via the Prince’s reception staff. The time and price was agreed. I told them of a previous offer I’d received which was about 4 times as much. I was advised to avoid organising a tour any other way than via the hotel, as it was likely I’d “get ripped off”.

Following a good night’s sleep, I reported to reception at 10am, as per the instruction. I attempted to pay the agreed price at the reception desk. The morning receptionist, who was different from the previous receptionist, attempted to charge me double what was agreed the previous evening. The basis for the increase – that much worn-out clique: “it’s peak season”.

I refused to pay the increase. ‘Peak Season’ had not been mentioned the previous night (and for reference, it wasn’t) . They told me the price was what it was. I conveyed my anger at having agreed a price and then have it doubled – I had planned my day around this 6-hour tour. I was then handed a telephone, to speak to the receptionist I had spoken to the previous evening. He reiterated the “peak season” point. The telephone call then turned to negotiating a compromised increase – again, something I wasn’t prepared to do.

I insisted on speaking to the management. Only at that point did the current receptionist agree to charge the actual price.

It was an exhausting process, which lasted about 45 minutes, and was not a good start to my first day in Alleppey.

On the evening of returning from my back-waters tour, I sat in the hotel bar and had a beer.

The bar felt intimidating – I was stared throughout at by the Kelaralan locals (I realise that this is beyond the hotel’s control). Half an hour in, one of the locals approached me, drunk, and began shouting at me. Due to the language difference, I was unable to understand what was being said (he may well have been being friendly towards me – although the body language suggested otherwise).

As the man stood shouting at me, no attempt by the bar staff was made to remove him.

Slightly confused, I sat it out until one of his friends pushed him out. Again, I realise that this wasn’t an act carried out by the hotel, but reason dictates that I wouldn’t – as the only westerner in the bar – understand what was being shouted at me. So something should have been said by the hotel bar staff.

Anyway, not a particularly enjoyable experience all-round.

In conclusion, nice enough facilities, but a rather frustrating experience, which isn’t what you want when you’re on holiday.

I would be very weary of using this establishment.

Please be warned.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Hotel is good only problem is with water , water is dirty i got my skin nicely tanned due to water and in restaurent also they dont serve water unless untill u ask them for 4 to 5 time than they will serve for once bisleri in hotel charge rs 35 , where outside it charge for rs 15.rest everything is fine

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chankapure
Pembroke Pines, Florida, United States
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Terrible hotel. Staff at reception was not very helpful - showed us a different room than the one they assigned. Had to ask them for the room they showed us.
Bathrooms not clean with lot of mosquitoes in the room. Called housekeeping - brought a mosquito coil after a long time. Only one outlet for charging phone and other devices.
Very expensive with very high charges for an extra bed (mattress).
Breakfast was included and was good.
Poor value for money.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Alappuzha hotels

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed October 21, 2012

This was the first time we stayed in this hotel and we found it good with clean and tidy rooms. opt for a delux room or Suite. Food was excellent. Front office and room service were highly responsive.
Only lakuna was with Air conditioners where the swing flaps were broken and hence air used to blow straight on the face. Swimming pool was not clean and we had request them clean it before we dived in...
The two front office Managers, Jackson and Liji were very friendly and cooperative.
Overall, it was a pleasent stay.

Room Tip: Check for Deluxe room or a Suite. Check the AC quality
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Most of the rooms are pool side, it gives a pleasant atmosphere. Room service and foods are out standing. nice hospitality, excellent reception. Excellent well furnished spacious Rooms.Poolside dinner with candle light is fantastic experience will make you a romantic mood. Go for it pals

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank rockfuze
Kerala
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Poor service
Poor staff quality
Poor food
Poor swimming pool

Just a local lodge with bar.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank PramodcsKerala
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed March 30, 2012

The hotel was clean, the room comfortable and the pool nice and cool.
In the evening we dined by the poolside instead of the restuarant... very enjoyable!

We stayed here overnight before an overnight houseboat adventure.
It was wise to do this as we were able to check out the houseboat before we committed to one. The quality and cleanliness of the boats is enormous!
Saying this, we would not reccommend an overnight boat trip but rather take a full day boat tour... the overnight experiece was very disappointing.

It would be better to have based ourselves at this hotel.

Room Tip: Try and get a room with a pool view as the village view is bedlam.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple