“Amazing food!”
Review of Green Palm Homes

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Alappuzha
Green Palm Homes
Ranked #10 of 193 Alappuzha B&B and Inns
Perth, United Kingdom
“Amazing food!”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We stayed here just after Christmas and were bowled over by the amazing food we were served. Anna (our host) conjured up meal after meal of the most delicious Keralan cuisine and we loved it. The room we had was okay but it did have a big balcony overlooking the backwaters and the surrounding villages are really interesting to cycle around. We swam and soaked up the relaxing atmosphere. We met some very nivcce people but this is not the place to go if you don't like sharing meals with others around a big table. If you want to get here, the quickest way is rickshaw from Alleppey but the scenic route is by public ferry which took us nearly two hours. It is not easy to get the right ferry as there are no signs in English but if you persevere you'll be fine.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank David B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Greek first
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed January 9, 2014

I stayed at Greenpalms for three nights and it was a wonderful stay.First of all I would like to comment on the previous review.I was there at greenpalms on the same day and I had the same food with the same people which was great.The food at greenpalms is what made me stayback for lunch on the day I was supposed to leave around 10am.It's so nice of those girls from Newzealand at least to admit that they didn't pay ( infact they left greenpalms without paying and when asked pretended that they have forgotten to pay).Their review is a pure reflection of their embarassement and no relation to truth.It looks like they don't realise how the life,standards and prices in India are changing everyday.I am also a regular visitor here.
Philip and Maria are very kind hosts and their children are lovely.The little girls were giving company to the their little guests of same ages ( guests with children find it very relaxing there as their children are happy and safe).I have done all the possible activities which were well organized and I'm happy I've done them.Anna is a great cook and her cooking demonstration was very interesting.Philip helped me to plan for my further trips and organized transportation. It was absolutely the highlight of my trip to Kerala this time.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank greineranja
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Our stay at Green Palm was meant to be the highlight of our trip to Kerala. It was the most expensive place we booked but turned out to be our worst homestay experience. Philip was completely disinterested in discussing the few issues we had, and was very rude, leading us to leave after just one night. He refused payment (if this is a habitual 'fix' for unhappy guests that would explain the reluctance some may have had in reviewing negatively). Our gut feeling from the outset is that Green Palm had been operating on the reputation built up by Thomas, but our hosts no longer had their heart in the job. From the start the property felt very disjointed, three homes trying to run as one homestay, it felt very commercial (there was even a small 'souvenier'store built on the property)with bikes and canoes available for hire by the hour (at high indian rates). Once you are on the island you are completely reliant on Green Palms, for their meals and the activities they charge for and constantly ask if you would like to go on (eg 350 rupee for a guided walk around the island). Our room was lovely, however what we had been told was a 'private bathroom' turned out to be off the main living room, where Philips children and other family members we were never introduced to (and who werent interested in knowing us) would be watching tv...not private at all when returning from the shower etc. All of this would have been ok were it not for our experience on our first (and last) night. This was our third trip to India so we know what to expect from homestays, what 'good' indian home cooking tastes like. All the meals were very basic and bland, but dinner was a complete let down from what we had experienced in Keralan homestays so far. Seated around benches in what felt like a school canteen setting, Philip and Maria walked around serving (it felt like we were being rationed) small ladlefuls of a watery fish curry (with very little fish), an onion and tomato salad (mainly chopped raw onion), and parathas (a lovely pastry like Indian bread). There was also a large plate of bananas and it was apparent that the only way for us to fill ourselves up was to eat large quantities of bananas and bread. Which we did. I saw one girl eat three bananas...as we did. Feeling quite disheartened we quietly relayed our concerns to Philip away from the other guests and asked whether there was something else we could eat for dinner (other than bread and bananas). This didn't go well, my sister ended up in tears. Philip was not interested in discussing any of our concerns, however gave us some oranges and apples. Basically, they have maybe 30 - 40 people to feed over the three houses each night and one kitchen cooks for all three houses. This results in the meals being very bland and sparse- not at all the Keralan home cooking experienced in other homestays. The way the food was rationed, and the way they watch you as you ate just added to the unpleasantness. The 'take it or leave it' comments made by Philip to us were just terrible and very unprofessional. The whole stay was a disaster.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank emily b
Roma
Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

Green Palms has welcomed us with a canoe and a beautiful meal. The rooms are very simple and so the bathrooms, but what made our stay really pleasabt was the kindness of our hosts, Maria and Philip, and their whole family. They organize a lot of interesting activities: the canoe tour in the narrow canals of the backwaters, the walks, the cuisine class with Anna. Green Palms is a wonderful spot, far away from the turistic crowd.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank mestierediscrivere
Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for three nights before heading up to Goa, I can honestly say we loved this place. The home stay (there are several houses on the site) is run by Thomas and his family, who are friendly, helpful and just generally nice people - they can't do enough for you. The fellow guests were also very friendly and you're able to be social if you want to. Green Palm Homes was recommended to us by a family with two young children - a great place for them too!

Food is included with the accommodation, which is mainly cooked by Thomas' mother - the food is without doubt the best food we have had in India so far. You also have the option to participate in cooking classes - which we thoroughly enjoyed.

Lots to do in the local area, and Thomas is more than happy to organise trips... etc.

Would highly recommend this place to anyone who wishes to stay in the Kerala backwaters area... but not necessarily on one of the houseboats. I'm sure anyone who stays here will not be disappointed!!

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Liam D
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We spent a really nice time in Maria and Philip's lovely family, away from charter houseboats and tourist resorts. The rooms are basic but the food is authentic and the welcome is outstanding. It is the ideal place for small families who wish to spend some time in a local community and find out more about traditions, customs and kerala way of life.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Amelie C
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I stayed here for three nights in December 2013. Green Palm is made up of three houses owned by siblings of the same family, each with several rooms - so bigger than the traditional home stay, more like a bed and breakfast. But even with this size, it felt like a very personal experience. The setting is beautiful and the whole staff was eager to help craft the experience you're looking for. They were also great to talk to, spending time with guests talking about the island, backwaters, and just chatting in general. My room was clean and comfortable (there were some tiny lizards that occasionally hung out in my bathroom, but that's to be expected in such an environment).

I took part in the evening walk with Thomas, a morning walk, and cooking classes with mom Anna. The walks were a great way to experience the island and how people live in the backwaters. The cooking class was more of a demonstration, but I did get some good tips to bring home.

The food was delicious - never ending bowls of communal food cooked in traditional Keralan way. I think I gained a few pounds just from my couple of days at Green Palm...

The group meals and other activities helped create a community with other travelers - I met some great people from around the world, which definitely added to my experience and which I appreciated as a solo traveler.

Overall, I really loved my experience at Green Palm. It was relaxing, comfortable, and a highlight of my time in Kerala.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Allison G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alappuzha
Kondai Lip Backwater Heritage Resort
Backwater Heritage Homestay
The Pamba Heritage Villa
The Pamba Heritage Villa
#1 of 154 in Alappuzha

Been to Green Palm Homes? Share your experiences!